Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

"Read the up date on my blog..."

Done that. I still think you need to update the GoFundMe page. That's important.

Ian

What's to update? The Prize purse is the same and all of the money goes to 7th place.

Gotta go - I have a company to run.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something and certainly don't mean to pull you away from the company your running - and I'm saying that sincerely, because I'm not sure if you're kidding or if you do in fact run a company - regardless, I'll be brief.

I directed ~2000 members of the LA Tri Club to this link http://www.gofundme.com/bdsgjs. At that link it says (right now, it says this)
"First place at Ironman Lake Placid wins $5000. 6th place gets $750. 7th place gets $0. First place is lucky to break even after accounting for travel and lodging costs. Most podium winners will be in the red. What a sport!"

It appears to me that this is no longer true. It appears to me, after reading your blog twice, that first place now gets $15,000 and that 6th gets $2,000, 7th gets $1,500. I'm not suggesting that this is satisfactory, what I'm saying is that I and others are driving people to your GoFundMe page, a page that is now requesting donations based on misinformation. I feel that's wrong and I'm a party to it.

I've never used GoFundMe - is it super hard to log in and a couple of sentences at the top that bring future donors up to speed on the situation?

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something and certainly don't mean to pull you away from the company your running - and I'm saying that sincerely, because I'm not sure if you're kidding or if you do in fact run a company - regardless, I'll be brief.

I directed ~2000 members of the LA Tri Club to this link http://www.gofundme.com/bdsgjs. At that link it says (right now, it says this)
"First place at Ironman Lake Placid wins $5000. 6th place gets $750. 7th place gets $0. First place is lucky to break even after accounting for travel and lodging costs. Most podium winners will be in the red. What a sport!"

It appears to me that this is no longer true. It appears to me, after reading your blog twice, that first place now gets $15,000 and that 6th gets $2,000, 7th gets $1,500. I'm not suggesting that this is satisfactory, what I'm saying is that I and others are driving people to your GoFundMe page, a page that is now requesting donations based on misinformation. I feel that's wrong and I'm a party to it.

I've never used GoFundMe - is it super hard to log in and a couple of sentences at the top that bring future donors up to speed on the situation?

Ian

Read his blog again. Those "updated" prizes are incorrect and have been removed from the IMLP website.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One small suggestion is that at every Athlete Briefing/Pre-Race meeting for an IM event, someone ask the RD about the payouts and how much 7th place pays. I'm guessing that would get noticed very quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian - WTC changed the athlete guide, then changed it back again!

Very odd. As it stands at this moment, WTC is only paying 6 deep.

Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
Ian - WTC changed the athlete guide, then changed it back again!

Very odd. As it stands at this moment, WTC is only paying 6 deep.

Not really that odd. Someone at WTC probably wanted to mess with these guys. It worked.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [johngalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johngalt wrote:
One small suggestion is that at every Athlete Briefing/Pre-Race meeting for an IM event, someone ask the RD about the payouts and how much 7th place pays. I'm guessing that would get noticed very quickly.

I hope this is asked at LP this weekend...
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone needs to get video/audio of it if it happens.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,

Thanks for the clarification. That's too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian, it was just a head fake by WTC. Everything is just as it was when this all started, so line up the LA tri club and lets make 7th a very happy camper!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, now I'm even more motivated. I'll plug it again today.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be by me at IM Boulder next weekend....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I updated my blog to make this point even more clear than it was before.

Website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any pros racing IMLP this weekend who have been following this thread? Are we sure they are even aware of what's at stake here?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They probably have not followed this thread, but they are all aware because of the twitter noise, particularly Josh Rix, AJ Baucco, Leslie Lamacchia and Jim Lubinski.

Website
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not racing up there but I do know that is in the minds of at least a few of those racing this weekend. I am pretty certain none of them will be delaying their finish but for the sake of the story let's hope I'm wrong...

Swimmer
http://www.usprotri.com/LAMASTRA.html
http://www.bodyphyxinternational.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
I have just found in life it is better to work with a place to try and get change.

Would you be willing to share a specific example of working "with a place" in order to achieve your desired result?

Of course this does not work with many places.

My example. We had a day care center that wanted to rent space in unused rooms in a school behind our properties. The neighbors
where all upset that this might be approved to be in their "backyards". So there was a big meeting with the neighbors
and school district.

In this meeting the school district told us they had 2 choices, either his day care center or a juvenile detention center. All the other folks
in the meeting were just going nuts and blasting the district that was there, and the women who was the owner of the day care.

I stood up and said wait people, something is going to go in, period. We can either work with these folks or just let them do whatever
they wanted. I said do you want a day care or a juvenile center? I then in the meeting starting to work with the owner of the day care
to hear some of the neighbors concerns, and she was able to suggest ideas on how to minimize impact.

So by my leading working with the school and the day care owner, we at least got a solution that was a team effort to be the best it could be.

Now afterwards what was interesting is we wanted to put my kid in the day care but it was full. We had no idea you needed to try and sign
up a year ahead of time. But when the owner found out who was asking, and it was me who had supported her in that meeting, she
allowed my kid in, and at a price discount. So this was just a bonus.

So, just one example in my life that working with folks, assuming they want to be worked with, can produce win win results for everyone.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
TheRealStarky wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
I have just found in life it is better to work with a place to try and get change.

Would you be willing to share a specific example of working "with a place" in order to achieve your desired result?

Of course this does not work with many places.

My example. We had a day care center that wanted to rent space in unused rooms in a school behind our properties. The neighbors
where all upset that this might be approved to be in their "backyards". So there was a big meeting with the neighbors
and school district.

In this meeting the school district told us they had 2 choices, either his day care center or a juvenile detention center. All the other folks
in the meeting were just going nuts and blasting the district that was there, and the women who was the owner of the day care.

I stood up and said wait people, something is going to go in, period. We can either work with these folks or just let them do whatever
they wanted. I said do you want a day care or a juvenile center? I then in the meeting starting to work with the owner of the day care
to hear some of the neighbors concerns, and she was able to suggest ideas on how to minimize impact.

So by my leading working with the school and the day care owner, we at least got a solution that was a team effort to be the best it could be.

Now afterwards what was interesting is we wanted to put my kid in the day care but it was full. We had no idea you needed to try and sign
up a year ahead of time. But when the owner found out who was asking, and it was me who had supported her in that meeting, she
allowed my kid in, and at a price discount. So this was just a bonus.

So, just one example in my life that working with folks, assuming they want to be worked with, can produce win win results for everyone.

That was one of the most boring things I've ever read. Is there a way to block or mute you?

Website
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [johngalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johngalt wrote:
It will be by me at IM Boulder next weekend....

And the answer will be $1500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
Are there any pros racing IMLP this weekend who have been following this thread? Are we sure they are even aware of what's at stake here?

My friend and first year pro Rachel Jastrebsky has seen it and is in the hunt!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Yeah, now I'm even more motivated. I'll plug it again today.

Ian

Just some advice.....stop plugging this stupid stunt if you don't want to have a lot of egg on your face at the end. There are so many things here that can go horribly wrong. You have a fantastic reputation in this industry and sport, Ian, don't tarnish it by allying with this person. It won't end well.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team