Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Why would it not be an error? What would they have to gain to do this then change their minds?

I agree with this, but also am seriously curious as to how you accidentally make this error?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Why would it not be an error? What would they have to gain to do this then change their minds?

The timing would make me think it's no error. Seems and intentional FU, we do what we want, directed at this whole idea.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTC has confirmed via email that it was an error. My thoughts on this strange twist. http://www.therealstarky.com/...lpth-a-strange-twist

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I agree with this, but also am seriously curious as to how you accidentally make this error?

Really, you're surprised?

This is the same company that ordered and installed an approximately 10' by 30' banner for their World Championship Event that said, "2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 112 mile run."

Have you not noticed the literally dozens of typographical errors that regularly appear on their race merchandise and in their printed materials?

I don't think that proofreading is their strong suit.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't it funny though that they didn't notice the typo when Starky's campaign started? No they saw the 'typo' when they realized that Starky will get the money together.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
Dark Mark is running point on locations for happy hours, race day shenanigans, and the 7th place awards ceremony. Follow us on twitter or watch my blog for details. I won't announce it too far in advance because my friends at Ironman have already sabotaged one of my events (in The Woodlands) by threatening the bar manager. Because they are willing to employ dirty tactics, we need to be a little more stealth.

No time to read this whole threas but Starky>=Ghandi and i hope this thing works out. I am actually interested in a IM resutl now
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a photo of that banner? Would love to see it.

Website
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRS,
Couple of quick things....
1) Good on ya for shinning some light on the original issue (money stopping at 6th and lame money at that) and how that speaks to the bigger issue - pro purses are too small, too shallow.
2) Good on ya for being what we must assume is the factor in WTCs change in IMLP pay out.
3) What are you going to do with the money that has been put in (my measly $10 and I've been promoting this a bit before the chagne)?
4) Can you put some text in bold at the top of the GoFundMe page explaining the changes to this specific, IMLP pay out and where you're going to direct the funds so that those who stumble in to give now (and who are not here on ST) can have all the relevant info?

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
TRS,
Couple of quick things....
1) Good on ya for shinning some light on the original issue (money stopping at 6th and lame money at that) and how that speaks to the bigger issue - pro purses are too small, too shallow.
2) Good on ya for being what we must assume is the factor in WTCs change in IMLP pay out.
3) What are you going to do with the money that has been put in (my measly $10 and I've been promoting this a bit before the chagne)?
4) Can you put some text in bold at the top of the GoFundMe page explaining the changes to this specific, IMLP pay out and where you're going to direct the funds so that those who stumble in to give now (and who are not here on ST) can have all the relevant info?

Ian

Read the update on my blog. http://www.therealstarky.com/...lpth-a-strange-twist

Website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well,..... the solution is obvious.

Andrew upped the ante.... so, TRS should double down.... Isn't "raising the pot" the goal after all?
(and...yes, I realize that the WTC's chip stack is "slightly" higher than ours; but hey,..... it's a principle thing)

A bump and a benjamin for the cause....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have just found in life it is better to work with a place to try and get change. NOW, since I still ask lots of questions, and if someone does now want to have to answer things
with data, yep, the personal attacks start. But the best way to handle a bully when it is a topic ones cares about is to just keep asking questions for data.

Sounds like many have tried this with WTC, but there still has to be a better way.

I make mistakes all the time. I have yet to see anyone in life who has not. So yep, WTC is not perfect either, but I believe all the folks there are trying to do the best they
can running a company and exceeding their customers expectations. Based on their track record, seems at least for AGers, I am pretty impressed. I have elected to look
at all the positive things they have done for our sport. Could some things for some folks be better, well, of course. But life is way to short to put so much negative energy
into something, IMO.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [tobi_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tobi_tri wrote:
Isn't it funny though that they didn't notice the typo when Starky's campaign started? No they saw the 'typo' when they realized that Starky will get the money together.

It has said $25,000 for a few weeks now. Someone went in there sometime on Monday or early Tuesday and changed it to $75,000.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a question, but how much do top level, mid level, and low level pro triathletes make, including sponsorships and prize money? I am trying to figure out if the prize money makes an impact on that? I know the more you win the more you can get from a sponsor, so its all related.

Quote | Reply
That's highly individual. Many do not have sponsorship beyond a few free Powerbars.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is true, it was updated on the 21st per their site (said it right on the website page) and then re-updated at some point yesterday.

Dark Mark wrote:
tobi_tri wrote:

It has said $25,000 for a few weeks now. Someone went in there sometime on Monday or early Tuesday and changed it to $75,000.

Making Triathlon Great Again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So consequently, the pros are living off the prize money? Very interesting!!!

Ok, so go get'em Starky!!!

Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
That's highly individual. Many do not have sponsorship beyond a few free Powerbars.

And some get free tattoos for life.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd tier pros on teams at least get race kits, training kits (several sets of jerseys & shorts), a bike, shoes, wetsuit ... pretty much the bulk of their equipment. But in terms of money for food housing, travel. Yes, that's out of pocket. Seems like most supplement their income with coaching.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Perrier11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perrier11 wrote:
Just a question, but how much do top level, mid level, and low level pro triathletes make, including sponsorships and prize money? I am trying to figure out if the prize money makes an impact on that? I know the more you win the more you can get from a sponsor, so its all related.

As Dark Mark said, it's highly variable. Some pros hold day jobs and put little effort into seeking sponsorship. Others go all out. Results are obviously also a big factor, but besides consistent big podium finishers, results don't matter as much as one may think.

Like everyone else, pros generally aren't too open about their finances (including sponsor arrangements). But I have gleaned some info. Typically, top level pros derive the bulk of their revenue from sponsors (e.g., podium bonuses, direct support). A very select number of A-listers also command appearance fees at some events. At the other end of the spectrum, low level pros typically only get in-kind support from their sponsors. So they would derive most if not all of their revenue (if any) from prize purses. Mid-level pros fall somewhere in between with a lot of variability. I know some that have very modest financial support.

This is why less top heavy prize purses would be positive for the development of the sport. Successful, established pros who usually win most of the prize money depend on it the least as a source of revenue.

I am a first year pro. I have some awesome sponsors, but so far only one helps me out with more than equipment (mostly travel). I've managed to finish in the money at my 4 pro races so far this year.

To help inform discussions like this, I'm going to post a detailed balance sheet at the end of the year. I'll share a quick look at my year-to-date triathlon related finances (no cost of living, etc.):

Expenses: $3,850
equipment, race entries, coaching fees, travel, nutrition, etc.

Revenue: $6,450
prize money: $6000 - two thirds from one race only!
selling old equipment: $400
other: $50

Profit: $2600

Expenses are low because I am pathologically cheap, borrow my parents car or carpool, race nearby most of the time, find homestays or share hotels, and one of my sponsors covers flights.

So as you can see, prize money is very important (both the amount and distribution), at least for me as a rookie pro. Also, I'm not quitting my day job any time soon!

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Asking in all sincerity.....where should the bubble be? I mean, we certainly don't think every pro should get paid do we....so where is that magic line? //

It should be top 20, with primes 5 deep in each category, with a record bonus for each event and overall. That would just be 5 places more than in my day, we had the 5 deep event bonus back then too, $5k/4k/3k/2k/1k. This helps spread the wealth around to certain pros that make the show and race interesting. That is where you draw the line.. In all sincerity, it is a frigging world champs after all..

And exactly how will this be paid for. Hum, let me guess....the entry fee for all of us mere mortals will go up. THANKS!!!

Unfortunately, large sponsors are not drawn to our sport, so prize money primarily comes directly from those who race. Got any ideas on how to bring in more/larger sponsors?

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Post deleted by triblake [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I have just found in life it is better to work with a place to try and get change.

Would you be willing to share a specific example of working "with a place" in order to achieve your desired result?

Website
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not surprisingly, the only substantial payday came from Challenge, not WTC!

Cody Beals wrote:
Perrier11 wrote:

As Dark Mark said, it's highly variable. Some pros hold day jobs and put little effort into seeking sponsorship. Others go all out. Results are obviously also a big factor, but besides consistent big podium finishers, results don't matter as much as one may think.

Like everyone else, pros generally aren't too open about their finances (including sponsor arrangements). But I have gleaned some info. Typically, top level pros derive the bulk of their revenue from sponsors (e.g., podium bonuses, direct support). A very select number of A-listers also command appearance fees at some events. At the other end of the spectrum, low level pros typically only get in-kind support from their sponsors. So they would derive most if not all of their revenue (if any) from prize purses. Mid-level pros fall somewhere in between with a lot of variability. I know some that have very modest financial support.

This is why less top heavy prize purses would be positive for the development of the sport. Successful, established pros who usually win most of the prize money depend on it the least as a source of revenue.

I am a first year pro. I have some awesome sponsors, but so far only one helps me out with more than equipment (mostly travel). I've managed to finish in the money at my 4 pro races so far this year.

To help inform discussions like this, I'm going to post a detailed balance sheet at the end of the year. I'll share a quick look at my year-to-date triathlon related finances (no cost of living, etc.):

Expenses: $3,850
equipment, race entries, coaching fees, travel, nutrition, etc.

Revenue: $6,450
prize money: $6000 - two thirds from one race only!
selling old equipment: $400
other: $50

Profit: $2600

Expenses are low because I am pathologically cheap, borrow my parents car or carpool, race nearby most of the time, find homestays or share hotels, and one of my sponsors covers flights.

So as you can see, prize money is very important (both the amount and distribution), at least for me as a rookie pro. Also, I'm not quitting my day job any time soon!

Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Based on their track record, seems at least for AGers, I am pretty impressed. I have elected to look
at all the positive things they have done for our sport.

Such as?

Quote | Reply

"Read the up date on my blog..."

Done that. I still think you need to update the GoFundMe page. That's important.

Ian
Quote Reply

Prev Next