Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [John Hirsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Hirsch wrote:
Its small money for the WTC to pay 10 deep or even 10 deep and double the prize purse. In fact the WTC use to pay 10 deep and I think more money and did not charge pros to race.

Why should they bother? Challenge AC had a larger price purse and paid 10 deep as far as I know, but only had 17 males and 5 female pros. What other event in the world would have a cash prize for 100% of the participants? Challenge Penticton only had 14 male and 7 female pros, on the same day that 17 male and 11 female pros raced IMC. If there were 200 pros racing paying 10 deep might make sense, but this just seems like paying them to show up.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Very seldom does working against an organization make positive results, let alone trying to embarrass them.

Based on your experience as a guy who transcribes VHS to DVD.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Very seldom does working against an organization make positive results, let alone trying to embarrass them.

Based on your experience as a guy who transcribes VHS to DVD.

??

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is going to be an epically funny 12 min story about the 7th place who got a ton of money, but.......Then it all goes back to status quo, TRS comes up with another funny stunt to make fun of the tri-douchery in our sport. //

I don't know, i can easily see this becoming a story that hits ESPN or a blurb in sports illustrated. Just look at what it has done here, an epic thread that is heading for 50k hits in a few days. Now it won't be a serious story, just one of those funny things that happen that is filler, but i would bet it hits some other media than just ST. Now that could be just a little more embarrassing for WTC if it is a story on ESPN. Now whether they care or not, that is a different story.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think this is going to be an epically funny 12 min story about the 7th place who got a ton of money, but.......Then it all goes back to status quo, TRS comes up with another funny stunt to make fun of the tri-douchery in our sport. //

I don't know, i can easily see this becoming a story that hits ESPN or a blurb in sports illustrated. Just look at what it has done here, an epic thread that is heading for 50k hits in a few days. Now it won't be a serious story, just one of those funny things that happen that is filler, but i would bet it hits some other media than just ST. Now that could be just a little more embarrassing for WTC if it is a story on ESPN. Now whether they care or not, that is a different story.

Not clear to me who the joke would be on.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not clear to me who the joke would be on. //

Oh, that one is easy, Triathlon. ESPN is famous for mocking our sport. Anything done in spandex, alone, and without a ball is just a sport to mock to them. They will love this story. I can see it already, they call them professionals and don't make enough to get to the race, let alone feed and house themselves. This thing could go any of a number of directions, all not good for our sport. I don't see it as changing anything either(except of course for whoever gets 7th!). Just have to believe in Barnum's old saying, any publicity is good publicity..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, that's kinda my point monty. This is going to be play (it was developed before even brought here to ST), and I can see it turning into instant gifs of stupidness. But who's going to get clowned here? I think it's going to be an epically funny stunt and then we'll all be right back at LP in a year with no movement in the pro money ranks. But we'll have one hell of a goofy story to BS over, and some 7th place no name pro will go down in tri lore, hell we problay wont even remember his name. He'll forever be "7th place guy".

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Not clear to me who the joke would be on. //

Oh, that one is easy, Triathlon. ESPN is famous for mocking our sport. Anything done in spandex, alone, and without a ball is just a sport to mock to them. They will love this story. I can see it already, they call them professionals and don't make enough to get to the race, let alone feed and house themselves. This thing could go any of a number of directions, all not good for our sport. I don't see it as changing anything either(except of course for whoever gets 7th!). Just have to believe in Barnum's old saying, any publicity is good publicity..

Sorry I missed that. I thought you were saying WTC would have egg on their face. I agree that everyone in our sport probably ends up with egg, but will not really hurt WTC. The pro's, I do not see how it will help them in whatever
there goals are, they each seem to have different opinions on what should happen. No common voice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The worst thing about the internet is that it gives people like you the illusion that your opinion somehow matters. A century ago, you would have just been a town idiot that no one listens to. Now, a platform like Slowtwitch gives you the false feeling of relevance.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [John Hirsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Hirsch wrote:
I truly hope that 6th place sits up and waits for 7th and then they battle to be the slower and second among them. This will top the time the winner refused to cross the finish line quickly when the WTC tried to rob pros of prize money by saying we had to finishing within a % of the winning time to get paid.

I love that the WTC take such shitty care of pros that a fake twitter account and a fund raising page can derail one of their major events. WTC is fucking pathetic frankly.

Sadly I'm gonna have to say that IMLP is no longer a major event to WTC, or the pros if you look at who races it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Followers are never leaders or innovators, but they can be very vocal about maintaining the status quo.

It is a no-brainer.....
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
The worst thing about the internet is that it gives people like you the illusion that your opinion somehow matters. A century ago, you would have just been a town idiot that no one listens to. Now, a platform like Slowtwitch gives you the false feeling of relevance.

Pot, meet Kettle.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Aqua Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to argue that Ironman is not a sport and just an event, than one has to agree.
Pesonally I'd prefer it to be a sport and sport is always driven by the best in the game.

Aqua Man wrote:
kny wrote:
I would surmise that the only value pros provide to WTC is Kona. A Kona without a quality pro field no longer has an NBC 2 hour program and the eyes of millions of Sat afternoon college football watchers.

What makes you so sure about that statement? It's been made a few times now, but is there real truth behind it?

The NBC broadcast only focuses on a couple of the male and female pros, with the rest of the time focusing on various special interest stories. Remove the dozen or so pros and you're still left with a grueling endurance event, that will still have elite amatures pushing hard for top place. It's entirely possible that having it an amature event would bolster the image, after all the Olympics used to be about amature competition, and the NCAA still consists of unpayed athletes--and both of those get plenty of attention. Part of the alure for Kona/Ironman has been that amatures can participate.

My 2cents: Team Hoyt has done more for the sport than all pros combined.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
TheRealStarky wrote:

Pot, meet Kettle.

I always smile when the bullies say their opinion only matters. Not much changes on the internet, just seems to get worse.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:

^^^ This!

And with Tweeter all village idiots can hear each other out now.

You're the Don Quijote of triathlon. Lets call you DQ.

Quote | Reply
Anyone know where Rory McIlroy homestayed at the British Open?
Last edited by: elwoodblues: Jul 21, 14 6:28
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
If you want to argue that Ironman is not a sport and just an event, than one has to agree.
Why can't it be both?
pk wrote:
Pesonally I'd prefer it to be a sport and sport is always driven by the best in the game.
Does that mean pro or elite? Plenty of other sports lack a pro division, off the top of my head swimming and track come to mind. Those sports continue to produce faster and faster athletes.
But still the statement made was that without pros there would be no Kona coverage. The first amateur male was 15th overall, Roth had something similar yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The worst thing about the internet is that it gives people like you the illusion that your opinion somehow matters. A century ago, you would have just been a town idiot that no one listens to. Now, a platform like Slowtwitch gives you the false feeling of relevance."

THIS IS PERFECT and SO relevant to you! Without this forum, your website, tweets you would be NOTHING. Just a bully. At least the town idiot has some morals and a little decency now and then. A century ago, someone would have cut your tongue out for being a douche (but hey, at least you'd have you fingers to tweet). Fare thee well my good man.

Eric Engel | http://www.ironmandiary.com
15% off INFINIT Nutrition w/ code: EENGEL-INFINIT
15% off AltRed w/ code: EENGEL-ALTRED
20% off AMP Human http://amphumanperformanc.refr.cc/ericengel
AP Racing "The Crew" | INFINIT Nutrition | AltRed | AMP Human
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:

Is it just me who gets the irony with this one?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Aqua Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well it can be both good price money and participants and i think hawaii shows it works only problem entrance fee increases much faster than prize money.

as for swimmer and track cyclists they are funded by government like the Itu guys. and in my mind they are underpaid compared what the officals make.

Aqua Man wrote:
pk wrote:

Why can't it be both?
pk wrote:

Does that mean pro or elite? Plenty of other sports lack a pro division, off the top of my head swimming and track come to mind. Those sports continue to produce faster and faster athletes.
But still the statement made was that without pros there would be no Kona coverage. The first amateur male was 15th overall, Roth had something similar yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
TheRealStarky wrote:

Pot, meet Kettle.

+1

While I generally find TRS amusing, I have to agree. Purely idiotic post here.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jul 21, 14 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Right, that's kinda my point monty. This is going to be play (it was developed before even brought here to ST), and I can see it turning into instant gifs of stupidness. But who's going to get clowned here? I think it's going to be an epically funny stunt and then we'll all be right back at LP in a year with no movement in the pro money ranks. But we'll have one hell of a goofy story to BS over, and some 7th place no name pro will go down in tri lore, hell we problay wont even remember his name. He'll forever be "7th place guy".

There will be no movement in the pro money ranks until the general public will tune in to watch pro triathlon. Not just the Kona special for an hour, either, but to actually watch the pros compete with each other week after week. NFL players don't ask for a donation from your local peewee team to fund their salaries. Ditto for the MLB, NBA, PGA, and others. Heck, last night my girlfriend and I watched some of American Ninja Warrior, where they're competing for $500k. How is that paid for? Because random people will actually watch it, and advertisers will buy slots during the broadcast. It has exactly nothing to do with the "heart of an athlete" or "blood, sweat, and tears", or all of the other mindless blather from people on this thread and countless others justifying why pros "deserve" more. You're not paid big money in sports for trying really hard or being talented; you're paid for putting butts in seats and eyeballs on ads. I don't know why STers have such a hard time realizing this.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is interesting reading my running magazines, they are also dealing with no real prize purses, or TV attention. They are asking if they should change their rules, format, etc. to try and get more folks
into the sport, more money, sponsorship, etc. Seen the same comments in my swimming magazines.

With the economy so poor, companies are being much more careful where they spend there money vs return.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
TheRealStarky wrote:

Pot, meet Kettle.

Sorry missed that one was not just me.

TheRealStarky has jumped the shark. Time to move on.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:

There will be no movement in the pro money ranks until the general public will tune in to watch pro triathlon. Not just the Kona special for an hour, either, but to actually watch the pros compete with each other week after week. NFL players don't ask for a donation from your local peewee team to fund their salaries. Ditto for the MLB, NBA, PGA, and others. Heck, last night my girlfriend and I watched some of American Ninja Warrior, where they're competing for $500k. How is that paid for? Because random people will actually watch it, and advertisers will buy slots during the broadcast. It has exactly nothing to do with the "heart of an athlete" or "blood, sweat, and tears", or all of the other mindless blather from people on this thread and countless others justifying why pros "deserve" more. You're not paid big money in sports for trying really hard or being talented; you're paid for putting butts in seats and eyeballs on ads. I don't know why STers have such a hard time realizing this.

Pretty much agree with this. Though I don't see how the pros as a group can add value without WTC being involved if not the driver of it. Sure we can say WTC doesn't care, but I think their logical next step is to get this stuff televised.
My reasoning being that Providence has already cashed out of Ironman. 2 times I have been told with this dividend the latest. And if they want a final big payout I think they need more than just the revenue from a participant sport. They need major sponsors and television shows. Professional marketing. Partnering with the local communities. Oh, never mind......
Quote Reply

Prev Next