Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In support of the effort, went back through all of the results to find the 7th place pro for both men and women since 1999.

Men
1999 - 9:18:56, Mike B. Neill, Kingston, ON, CAN
2000 - 9:08:04, Peter Lavoie, Labaie, QC, CAN
2001 - 9:10:40, Mike B. Neill, Kingston, ON, CAN
2002 - 9:18:15, Juergen J.H. Hauber, Stimpfach, GER
2003 - 9:18:17, Chad Hawker, Seaside, CA
2004 - 9:07:20, Andy Martin, Bend, OR
2005 - 9:38:17, Vaughn Cooper, Dover, NH
2006 - 9:03:12, Petr Vabrousek, CZE*
2007 - 9:44:43, Jody Sanderson, Toronto, ON, CAN
2008 - 9:11:58, Dave Harju, Hull, QC, CAN
2009 - 9:12:09, Billy Edwards, Boulder, CO
2010 - 9:15:58, Ian Mikelson, Torrance, CA
2011 - 9:13:03, Mike Neill, CAN
2012 - 9:36:13, Timothy Tapply, Sherborn, MA
2013 - 9:08:49, Douglas MacLean, Vestral, NY
* 7th-place all-time best


Women
1999 - 10:34:10, Kristen M. Johnson, Charlotte, NC
2000 - 10:25:14, Mary Ellen Powers, Dover, NH
2001 - Only six professionals finished.
2002 - 10:38:10, Lara Shaw, Tampa, FL
2003 - 10:47:42, Donna Phelan, St. John's, NF, CAN
2004 - 10:36:00, Judith McSweeney, Monument, CO
2005 - 10:18:19, Charlene Waldner, Victoria, BC, CAN
2006 - 10:52:10, Lyzane Trepanier, Gatineau, QC, CAN
2007 - 10:09:51, Danielle Sullivan, Blue Point, NY
2008 - 11:40:31, Kayla Segal, Montreal, QC, CAN
2009 - 10:13:26, Tara Norton, Toronto, ON, CAN
2010 - 10:13:07, Charisa Wernick, Carlsbad, CA
2011 - 10:30:39, Amber Ferreira, USA
2012 - 11:06:06, Marie Danais, Quebec, QC, CAN
2013 - 10:09:42, Kelly Fillnow, Charlotte, NC*
* 7th-place all-time best
Last edited by: WalkSports: Jul 16, 14 15:24
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I struggle with this question... my gut reaction is like yours, give it all to 7th, or at the very least give it to another guy in 7th at another race. But it really puts some pros in an ethical quandary. Of course, that's just one side of the brilliant satire of this effort, but I still struggle with it. I want you to draw attention, not make B pros lives harder.

TheRealStarky wrote:
mattr wrote:
TRS
If the pot gets big enough, say over $4000, would you split it up to pay 7-10th? Say 7th-$1500, 8th-$1200, 9th-$750, 10th-$550?


Dark Mark posed this question to our donors and they have overwhelmingly responded that all the money should go to 7th. I agree with the majority of our donors. The aim of this stunt is not to offer a handout. We're not socialists. Our goal is to cause a commotion, draw eyeballs to the issue, and possibly affect a change in the hearts and minds of Ironman participants. If participants begin to have a lower opinion of WTC, then it may behoove WTC to pay a little more just for the positive PR.

By the way, I'll be releasing all of the WTC financials on my blog later in the week. I leaked a few key stats from my twitter account, but the timing is right for an award winning column that fully explains their business, which I began writing last night from a small cabin in the mountains.

None of the magazines that you waste money on with every month would touch this issue with a 10 foot pole. Lava, Triathlete

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio Coaching and Bike Fitting
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits |
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [WalkSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Josh Beck isn't a pro. I believe Run DMC was 7th pro.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [WalkSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure they're all real super people an' all, but the fact that I've never heard of a single one of these athletes perhaps helps to explain why WTC only pays 6 deep
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I'm sure they're all real super people an' all, but the fact that I've never heard of a single one of these athletes perhaps helps to explain why WTC only pays 6 deep

Or you haven't heard of them because there is no money in long course triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bleary-eye syndrome. I made the correction.
Thanks for the heads up.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [WalkSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stellar work! This demands its own t-shirt.


Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [WalkSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hearby nominate this award be named the Mike Neill Memorial Eternal 7th Place Award.

Selah.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [WalkSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard of Tara Norton and Dave Harju. But only because I am Canadian and they were at local races that I did.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donna Phalen, Charissa Warnick, Amber Fierra, Ian Mikelson, a lot of my friends could have been paid!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, Gatorade Smith Optics, SpeedFil, ENVE Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7th out of 2500 is mediocre?

I suspect you're not familiar with the definition of the word.

___________________
Twitter | Kancman | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
7th out of 2500 is mediocre?

I suspect you're not familiar with the definition of the word.

Relative to the rest of the pros in triathlon, yes these people are mediocre.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am wondering what the 7th place payout will be when TRS does this for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
snackchair wrote:
7th out of 2500 is mediocre?

I suspect you're not familiar with the definition of the word.


Relative to the rest of the pros in triathlon, yes these people are mediocre.

When you inject 'relative' into the conversation, you can argue any point you like.

7th out of 2500 is not mediocre. Far from it. Perhaps you forgot because it's not relevant to you, but triathlon is - and has been for some time - set up as a competition. It shares that similarity with other sports and activities like running, poker, cycling, bowling, texting, etc. See what happens is, people pay money, and the fastest people get to take a portion home. We've used that model now for a long time. For those that don't like it, there are great alternatives - mini golf, lazer tag, arcades, color runs, charity rides, etc.

For Ironman, the prize purses come primarily from sponsors - so it's a fairly good reflection of the pro field's worth to outside businesses - but it ignores the inherent value to WTC of the event being a race and not a participation event. I think Rev3 will take a quantifiable hit from dropping the pros - but only time will tell. Even if you argue that pros provide zero services or value to an event, that's fine - but it still seems a little odd (to me and many others) that WTC doesn't redistribute a significant portion of their fees into prizes the way that many other events do. Show up at any number of running or cycling races, or even beer pong tournaments on any given weekend, and a portion of your entry fee is redistributed to the winners. It's sort of like gambling in a way. Triathletes forget that because most of them aren't competitors, they're participants. They're paying for a service and an experience - and see anything not superficially improving their experience as an injustice. But I think this self-absorption and disdain for prizes is distinctly (and not surprisingly) an issue for triathletes - I've certainly never heard 4 hour marathoners at the Boston Marathon or 30 min 5k runners at the local turkey trot complaining about the winners taking home money.

___________________
Twitter | Kancman | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pros race to be top 10 in Kona Top 10 in Kona is worth a lot more to a pro than the money WTC pays out. I'd venture to say that any pro will race to have the fastest finish time in Kona, be it 1st or 23rd. It's a LOT different than Lake Placid or most other IMs
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
BLeP wrote:
snackchair wrote:
7th out of 2500 is mediocre?

I suspect you're not familiar with the definition of the word.


Relative to the rest of the pros in triathlon, yes these people are mediocre.


When you inject 'relative' into the conversation, you can argue any point you like.

7th out of 2500 is not mediocre. Far from it. Perhaps you forgot because it's not relevant to you, but triathlon is - and has been for some time - set up as a competition.

I have not forgotten anything. Yes, they are fast compared to the rest of us but 7th in a weak professional field is a mediocre pro.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do pros compete against age groupers? I always thought they were seperate. So 7th out of the the total # of Pros? I would hate to think that these guys are training so hard to beat guys like me.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
I'm sure they're all real super people an' all, but the fact that I've never heard of a single one of these athletes perhaps helps to explain why WTC only pays 6 deep


Or you haven't heard of them because there is no money in long course triathlon.

Or I haven't heard of them because I really couldn't give two hoots about long course triathlon pros, the general public even less than me, and that's why there is no money in long course triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kblahetka wrote:
Do pros compete against age groupers? I always thought they were seperate. So 7th out of the the total # of Pros? I would hate to think that these guys are training so hard to beat guys like me.

x2. You cannot compare pros to the AG field (different rules, start times, different race), they invest far more time and energy then the vast majority of AG'ers, although some Ag'ers live and train like the pros.

What is the value of a 7th place 2 minutes behind 6th, and 10 minutes behind the winner versus 7th 20 minutes behind 6th, passed by AG'ers and over an hour behind the winner. That is something else to discuss, earning an elite license can be rather easy for many by choosing the right races. The disparity between professionals and their abilities in triathlon is much more broad then most other sports.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BorrachoMatador wrote:
I am wondering what the 7th place payout will be when TRS does this for Kona.

This will not be an ongoing sustained program. It's a publicity stunt meant to raise awareness.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
For Ironman, the prize purses come primarily from sponsors

That's not true. You made that up.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
I'm sure they're all real super people an' all, but the fact that I've never heard of a single one of these athletes perhaps helps to explain why WTC only pays 6 deep


Or you haven't heard of them because there is no money in long course triathlon.


Or I haven't heard of them because I really couldn't give two hoots about long course triathlon pros, the general public even less than me, and that's why there is no money in long course triathlon.

Have you heard of Frankline Chepkwony? I certainly hadn't until the Boston Marathon, where he picked up a cool $40,000 for third. Better ask for the money back, since we haven't heard of him

Being a household name is a pretty absurd metric to gauge whether or not an athletic performance deserves a paycheck. If we relied on that, there'd also be a ton of NFL, NBA and MLB players not getting paid.

___________________
Twitter | Kancman | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I read it somewhere, but unfortunately can't remember the source. I was under the impression that is a common practice for races. Do you have more reliable info on that?

___________________
Twitter | Kancman | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
I'm sure they're all real super people an' all, but the fact that I've never heard of a single one of these athletes perhaps helps to explain why WTC only pays 6 deep


Or you haven't heard of them because there is no money in long course triathlon.


Or I haven't heard of them because I really couldn't give two hoots about long course triathlon pros, the general public even less than me, and that's why there is no money in long course triathlon.

Exactly. Less face it, long course triathlon as a fan/spectator sport sucks. Prize purses are simply determined by supply and demand.

I know plenty of pro triathletes. All the ones that have money finished school and got real jobs, the rest coach.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
I know I read it somewhere, but unfortunately can't remember the source. I was under the impression that is a common practice for races. Do you have more reliable info on that?

This kind of unsubstantiated pontificating goes on a lot around here, doesn't it?

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply

Prev Next