Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other thing that you're neglecting to mention is that there are three Ironman races on the same day as IMLP, and Lake Placid has the smallest prize purse of any of them. If you were an IM pro whose first concern was prize money, why would you choose IMLP over IM Canada?

Let's compare apples to apples. The total prize purse for all IM and IM 70.3 events is vastly more than the total prize purse for all ITU events. Yet I constantly hear about how well paid ITU athletes are. The fact is that winning IM Kona pays four times as much as winning the ITU Grand Final. Finishing second or third at IM Kona still pays more than winning the ITU Grand Final. The WTC prize purse is spread out over 49 events, which means that each individual event is going to pay less than if that prize purse was concentrated over 10 or so events. It also means that the pro talent at each event is significantly watered down.

The obvious solution is to concentrate the total prize purse into fewer events, but that would probably mean that the lower tier pros would take home even less prize money than they do now.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You had the very tip top marquee pros praying to the heavens that the unsanctioned race would go on and you say that only LA would of made money? Travis is correct, just because you hate the guy should not skew reality of what would have happened. So did only LA make money during his cycling career? Foolish comment. Riders got paid more, bike companies made more, races charged more for tv rights, everybody made their cut.

Funny, you guys get all giddy about a Tririg brake or one extra dimple on a wheel or some other piece of equipment or clothing. If you guys saw the bag full of Nike stuff I have at my house that I snagged from LA it would blow your mind what cutting edge stuff they were preparing to bring to market.

No matter what he did or what happened, basic business sense would show that it would of been a windfall for everybody.

On a side note, I watched the Spartan Race on TV this weekend, and most of the show was about the girl who's father died, or the fat guy that lost 200 lbs......so our once a year TV broadcast are in good company!
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [elwoodblues] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/pro-membership/event-registration/pro-start-lists.aspx#axzz37ZF1BXmn
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
The other thing that you're neglecting to mention is that there are three Ironman races on the same day as IMLP, and Lake Placid has the smallest prize purse of any of them. If you were an IM pro whose first concern was prize money, why would you choose IMLP over IM Canada?

Dark Mark picked IMLP because he was planning to spectate, and it seemed like a good idea to stir the pot. As you mentioned, it has the lowest prize purse.

Nothing else you wrote was interesting enough to respond to.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [elwoodblues] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elwoodblues wrote:
WTC hasn't even published the pro start list for IMLP and it's less than two weeks out.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/9067b816f6f841d1b35f60c965c1d636/2014%20ironman%20lake%20placid%20pro%20list%20for%20website.pdf

This start list?

Quote | Reply
I've done a lot of research and asking around about who's on top of their game and who's only in 7th place shape. It was a tough choice, but I'm predicting Simon Malo and Amanda Kourtz take home the Starky Dough.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [joshovan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Twatwaffle...go race Challange New Albany!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
screamin wrote:
One thing could have stopped this whole mess, and his name is Lance Armstrong. Hell, the minute he said he "might" do Ironman (before he actually started) the big business wheels were turning. Trek and Nike had already started calling hotels in Kona and starting the process of booking all the rooms. NBC was even talking about LIVE coverage....it would have been full-on Tiger effect.

Instead, "they don't want an ex doper ruining their sport" if you even call racing for a couple thousand dollars a professional sport.

No, no, no.

The only people that would have made money off Lance, were Lance, his sponsors, and the WTC. It would not have done jack for the regular pro athlete.

Feel free to continue hating LA, but the ignorance of that response is astounding.

You are ignorant if you thought he was going to be some triathlon messiah. One celebrity douchebag does not make a professional sport.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:
WTC hasn't even published the pro start list for IMLP and it's less than two weeks out.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/9067b816f6f841d1b35f60c965c1d636/2014%20ironman%20lake%20placid%20pro%20list%20for%20website.pdf

This start list?

Thanks, I couldn't find it at the IMLP site.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
SAMSON wrote:
I have not read thru all of the posts, but has the thought of WTC putting repercussions on 7th place for accepting prize money been brought up. If they are truly sabotaging your moves, this could be their counter.

Unless there is something specifically in the rules (I don't know here), that prevents them from accepting gifts from third parties, I don't see how they can really do anything about it.

We can call it a sponsorship.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure the itu races pay less than Kona and some regional championships, but they pay deeper and the athletes can race more frequently. Plus you have federation funding.
I love the stunt TRS is pulling here, but honestly there are just too many IM pros. WTC needs to have different tiers of pros and races with commensurate prize pools.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
travis_lt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
screamin wrote:
One thing could have stopped this whole mess, and his name is Lance Armstrong. Hell, the minute he said he "might" do Ironman (before he actually started) the big business wheels were turning. Trek and Nike had already started calling hotels in Kona and starting the process of booking all the rooms. NBC was even talking about LIVE coverage....it would have been full-on Tiger effect.

Instead, "they don't want an ex doper ruining their sport" if you even call racing for a couple thousand dollars a professional sport.

No, no, no.

The only people that would have made money off Lance, were Lance, his sponsors, and the WTC. It would not have done jack for the regular pro athlete.

Feel free to continue hating LA, but the ignorance of that response is astounding.

You are ignorant if you thought he was going to be some triathlon messiah. One celebrity douchebag does not make a professional sport.

There is so much great comedy in this thread.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
Nothing else you wrote was interesting enough to respond to.

C'mon, surely you've got a better comeback than that. #standardsslipping
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
travis_lt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
screamin wrote:

No, no, no.

There is so much great comedy in this thread.

Yeah, it's quite amusing people can STILL be Lance fanboys.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
Sure the itu races pay less than Kona and some regional championships, but they pay deeper and the athletes can race more frequently. Plus you have federation funding.
I love the stunt TRS is pulling here, but honestly there are just too many IM pros. WTC needs to have different tiers of pros and races with commensurate prize pools.

The weekend of July 27th, WTC is paying $165,000 in prize money to 50 athletes, which is much more money, to more athletes, than is handed out at an ITU event.

Sounds like TRS is stirring the pot just to stir the pot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be interesting to see how WTC spins this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
tucktri wrote:

The weekend of July 27th, WTC is paying $165,000 in prize money to 50 athletes, which is much more money, to more athletes, than is handed out at an ITU event.

Sounds like TRS is stirring the pot just to stir the pot.

For real? Hamburg just paid out $140,000 to 40 athletes this past weekend. Oh and if we toss in the Relay, that is another $70,000 to another 40 athletes. I don't think you will get an argument that WTC doesn't pay out more money. They do. It's just spread so ridiculously think given the nature of the sport. So yes, top ITU racers can and will make more money that top Ironman athletes. Look at Gomez or Jorgensen, they have probably already made like $75,000-80,000 just from ITU racing. And will also take home the top spot in the bonus pool, another $80,000. And that's even including Stockholm and the grand final in Edmonton.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very well said, he had a top 10 in Hawaii and was a factor in every race he entered. The day came when he simply looked himself in the mirror and said it's been a great run.

I put him on the spot and asked him if money wasn't an issue what would he be doing. With a soft grin he looked at me and said, I'd be racing.

He's one of the reasons I jumped on this thread, it's near and dear in many ways.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [screamin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
screamin wrote:

Yes, other factors kept this from happening, but I know nobody was sucking LA's rod more than Messik was for about 6 months before his ban came down. He knew it would have been huge, the top pros wanted it to happen (more money for them) but the AG's and bottom feeder pros didn't like it....so they can keep wearing their homemade Dopers Suck tshirts and racing 9 hours for chump change.

FYI...I do love this, and people are taking it much too seriously...TRS is just stirring the pot, and it is greatness! Yes, nobody besides the 20 idiots like myself that read this forum know, but you know at WTC corp they are worried what might happen if the prize gets large, and that makes it worth it.

Yep. Bingo.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, Lance was appaled at how much jack he made in Panama-think it was his first pro check. (?)

It would have changed because he had enough "stroke" to have shamed WTC with the dollars they were paying pros.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [BonusTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In just 4 days, you people have turned this into a dedicated Lance Armstrong thread.

Next stop, Hitler.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
In just 4 days, you people have turned this into a dedicated Lance Armstrong thread.

Next stop, Hitler.

You have a point here:

Godwin's law (or Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies)[1][2] is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"[2][3]— that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Best of luck with the fund raising. Genius idea :)
Last edited by: tobi_tri: Jul 15, 14 23:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not my intent.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [tobi_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Hitler was on Strava, some people would still follow him just to see his watts.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
TheRealStarky wrote:
Otherwise, I agree 100% with everything you said. Class move by Dibens. Didn't know about that.

Let's also not forget the tie situation a year or two ago with Matty Reed and one other pro, I forget who?

That other pro was Callum Millward who trains in Boulder. Look him up on YouTube and Twitter. He is hands down the funniest pro out there.

Sponsored by: http://www.92fifty.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next