Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

7 weeks off swimming - then first run is a disaster :-(
Quote | Reply
I have been on a good training stretch for the last 6 weeks doing around 8-10km running per day and 20-30km XC skiing while we are on lockdown and I can't swim. Most weeks have been 18-20 hrs of training so general fitness is excellent. My runs around XC skiing have been good quality, either a run on fresh legs before skiing mid day or an evening run on treadmill after having several hrs of recovery.

Yesterday was first day back in the pool after lockdown lifted. Before that I was swimming 20-30km per week and running around 70-80km balancing both quite well on 100/100. The first swim was nothing special. Just easy 2700m doing all 4 strokes and some legs only and a bunch of dolphin kicking off the walls and some fin kicking on back. It was all quite easy for first day back in as I wanted to be careful for shoulders and since core and legs were strong from run and XC skiing I did not expect for this to take much out of me.

During my evening treadmill run, everything felt off. Beside the energy side which was not a problem, my quads and hip flexors felt dead and my hamstrings had nothing at all! It just reminded me how much we underestimate the fatigue from the swim in triathlons. Everyone points to bad runs being causes by overbiking, but this was a great reminder for me about how much swimming also subtracts from the run (and bike)
Quote Reply
Re: 7 weeks off swimming - then first run is a disaster :-( [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, I had my first swim practice this morning after almost two months away from the pool. There was no hard swimming and the total distance was only 3400 m. Right after practice I sent a note to a couple buddies of mine explaining the need to prioritize swim fitness as it directly impacts bike and run splits. I have found that my finish times in races directly correlate with my swim fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: 7 weeks off swimming - then first run is a disaster :-( [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My hamstrings feel like a did a ton of hamstring curls in the weight room. But I guess I may have gone overboard on the dolphin kicking (since I was trying to not overdoe shoulders and felt my core would be fine). Probably not a scenario that applies to wetuits. My shoulder surprisingly feel great now but they did not feel great swimming!!!
Quote Reply