Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

78 degree seat tube and climbing
Quote | Reply
I am pretty new to the forum, and I apologize if this issue has been brought up before. I have finally gotten a dedicated tri bike to add to my collection, but am curious as to how comfortable and efficient a steep st angle is on courses with a lot of elevation change. I live in Boone, NC and we are getting tons of snow this winter. For this reason I have not been able to ride this bike yet, but I will be traveling to some races pretty soon. For the races I am in with lots of climbing, should I stick with the tri bike or go with my standard geometery road bike and clip-ons. Thanks for the advice in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: 78 degree seat tube and climbing [asutriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean, I did not climb well on my 78 degree bike, but, I understand you may be able to learn to do so. I haven't been able to do that, at least, not yet. Interestingly, Ves Mandaric tells me that he isn't surprised by my lack of billygoat skills at 78 degrees, he's suggested I ride a seat tube of 76 degrees. I am more powerful at a slacker seat tubed position, that's no question. Whether or not I'm more aero in a forward position to offset the decrease in power is another question. I do think that with a 76 degree bike I'll be able to push the seat forward on the flatter races, and even push it rearward for the mountainous ones. I thought it was just trial and error in finding the best seat tube angle, but Mr. Mandaric was very adamant about what would work best for me based on a history of my riding combined with my body measurements. Personally, I wouldn't want to be racing in Boone on a 78 degree bike!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is an excerpt from one of Dan's fit articles http://www.slowtwitch.com/...r-Retrofitting-47857:

Climbing Technique: You'll climb slightly better on a road geometry bike (72 - 74-degree seat angle) than on a tri-geometry bike (76 - 80 degrees of seat angle). However, most triathletes will take that trade to have a more efficient and powerful aero riding position. Of course it depends on the topography of the bike course. When climbing with a tri- specific bike, I find that the best way to do it is to keep in the aero position, instead of trying to sit up--and back--on the saddle. At the same time, increase your cadence five to ten beats. My fastest times up moderate hills, say one to two miles long at a five to six percent grade, are always on a tri bike, staying in the aero position, and keeping the crank turning at a high rate with pressure applied all the way around the pedal stroke, turning strong circles. I'm considerably faster yet on a tri bike on shorter hills. If the climb gets over seven percent, and/or is several miles long, I am now more efficient on a road race bike. The way to ride a tri bike up such a hill with close to the same efficiency is to ignore the natural tendency to want to come out of the aero position and to instead stay in it and spin up.

Dave in WI
-----------------------------------------------------
"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore" - Wilco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Sorry to not actually answer your question...but you mentioned in your post that you live in NC, but the ID says "asutriathlete"...which "asu" are you referring to? Just curious...

Dave

ex-Arizona State University TriDevils
Quote Reply
Appalachian State U. is in Boone. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: 78 degree seat tube and climbing [Dave in WI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting, Dave. I sometimes stay in the aero position when climbing on training rides, but my reason for doing so is not for efficiency. I do it to build more power from the aero position for the flats. I never considered that position might actually be better for climbing. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Quote Reply
Re: 78 degree seat tube and climbing [keyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My opinion is that ASU in Boone is a better party school. Did the partying thing at both. Much easier to ride in Boone hung over than in AZ when its 100 outside. Not a good way to shake the cobwebs out. If in Boone it may be worth the trip to ECU for halloween, if they restarted blocking the streets off. I remember 10,000 less than sober people dress in costumes and many rather good times. The last couple of Halloweens were lame, just some small riots, tear gas, riot police w/dogs and a beer truck.
Quote Reply
Re: 78 degree seat tube and climbing [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert Dude,

I will have to agree about the quality of partying here! However, we do have a good bit of riding as well. As for Halloween, UNC-Chapel Hill now lays claim to the largest collegiate party (not sure if this is a fact or fiction). Thanks for all of the replies. Well, it is 9:15pm on the east coast, and it is time to go show the xc team how well triathletes drink...I meant train!
Quote Reply