Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

700 vs. 650
Quote | Reply
So what do you all think?

I made the switch to 650s two years ago and am very happy with my bike. That being said I have some experienced triathlete friends that swear that 700 is the way to go. They had tried 650 and despite working on their positioning they never got comfortable and switched back for good.

My positioning feels great and I did 2 IMs successfully last year. I made the switch because I climb like crap and thought 650 might help. I do climb better but I also increased my training volume. I do feel that my old 700 cc bike held momentum better. It feels like I start losing speed immediately if I let up on pedalling with my 650 whereas my 700 seemed to carry speed on flats better.

Although I really like the fit of my bike, I have often wondered would I like a 700 c version even better? I've wondered if 700c absorbed vibration or bumps better.

BTW I know height plays a factor. I'm 5'9 and 160lbs.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Richard
Quote Reply
Re: 700 vs. 650 [Richard_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At that height assuming standard proportions (i.e. not a super long torso or inseam) you're right in the middle and could either ride 650s or 700s.

There are theoretical advantages between the two each having their own strengths and weaknesses. I don't know that it really makes all that much of a measurable difference, though. I'm guessing it is minimal.

As for absorbed vibration, I believe theoretically 700s are supposed to be a smoother ride than 650s are. How much smoother again, may not be enough to be measured. I really don't know as I haven't ridden 650s myself. Just read a good amount of information on the two.
Quote Reply
Re: 700 vs. 650 [Richard_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about your size, just lighter, 5'9 145. I ride both, a 650 tri-bike and a 700 road bike. I accelerate better on the 650s but the 700s feel like they glide and brake better. The 650 bike is a softride so of course it rides smoother.

I feel better on the 650s, its just fell like the bike fits better (Yes, I've been fit on both bikes). Truthfully, if I was given 2 identical bikes with 650 or 700 tires, and I didn't know which bike had which tires, I don't think I could tell you which is which after riding them.

If I could get a road bike in 650, I'd probably ride 650s on my road bike.

If you fit well and ride well on 650s, ride the 650s.
Quote Reply
Re: 700 vs. 650 [Fluffyjoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Youre probalby the one to help me. Im just switching from a Trek 5200 to a Tri specific bike with 78 seat tube. But the frames Im looking at are all 650 in my size. Im 5.8. and 154. Im afraid of; harsher ride, pedaling fater (ie. working harder) to make smaller wheels go as far; Im already slow on downhills due to my size weight will I be going even slower. How does gearing change with smaller wheels... really unsure of how to go....
Quote Reply
Re: 700 vs. 650 [Eric L] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like, I said my 650 bike is a softride, so the ride is silkly smooth. I raced most of last year on my road bike w/ areos, people blew past me going downhills anyways. With my softride my position is much better, so if I lose anything in intertia from the wheels I gained back in aero. For what its worth, I'm 1-2 mph faster on average on my softride, at ~80 degrees on 650s, over all terrain, but I'm also tucked in much better.

To answer your question, 700 to 650 w/ identical gearing and speed your roughly loosing 1 gear. I'm not fast enough to need the lower half of my cassette (12-23) even with a 50 ring up front, so that 1 gear doesn't matter to me.

All in all its a wash. Like everyone says, get the bike that fits the best and the wheels will more or less choose themselves. For what its worth I like the 650's better, I think the fit is better for me and my size.
Quote Reply