Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
In my mind, 20m makes the bike portion of the race more significant and dangerous. I want guys like Gomez having to pull on the bike, or otherwise give up a big gap going in to T2. Right now there is no incentive to really race the bike if you are an Uber runner. It makes for boring racing. It would be nice to see the Uber runners out of their comfort zone during the bike, as I think it would lead to more drama and uncertainty on the run.

Not sure the race was boring or predictable. I know Gomez was going to win before the start, but didn't know what the rest of the podium would look like until Kanute was a mile from the finish.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your in the camp that 12m is good enough, great. I'm in the camp it's not if there are other options that are being used throughout LC racing, why we cant talk about implementing those in these championship level races. //

No I get what you are driving at, I just don't think it will make one bit of difference, as the real advantage is mental pacing and just plain race tactics. If you go to 20 meters in big races with a lot of guys, you will most likely still have the trains, just much, much longer. this will make it exponentially harder for marshals to work the group. 12m is tough enough with 10+ guys, but put the lead group in Hawaii of 20+ together at 20m apart, you would need 5 different Marshall motor to even come close to being able to see everyone. And with the abilities of todays riders I just don't see them dropping off the 20m zone if they were also capable of holding the 12m zone.

It will also make the ride a little less interesting as there will be less passing going on. A guy is a lot less likely to attack from 3rd or 4th position if he has to go 80m just to get to the front. I think a 20m zone would also cause a ton more of "slotting in", which I really don't like. It just interrupts guys flow and if you really don't go to the front, it is just kind of a nuisance to guys riding. Of course you would have to adjust all the passing times too, so just giving guys more time to dick around, and if they can't finish their moves, then just slot in..And all that movement has to be watched up close, so you are just going to need a shitload more marshals out there, which we all know is not going to happen..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what you are saying is that the sport is evolving right? So it's only fair to suggest with that evolution, does the drafting rules need to be adjusted as well? //

Well since they began with a 5m zone and that has opened up several times over the years, I would say the sport has evolved in this regard, and quite a bit. But at some point you have to say enough is enough, we can't even see two guys in the frame anymore. So maybe under some conditions at 12m a guy saves a few watts, most of the time it is nothing because of a crosswind, tailwind, or just not the ideal conditions that this distance gets tested at. Whatever it is, it is much less than a swim draft, and less than the run draft. The entire race has some element of drafting, always has, always will. I think we have hit the upper zone of minimizing the bike draft to the point where it really won't make any difference in how guys race, or how they end up in those races.

Now if some race wants a 20m zone then fine, do it. But make sure you don't have 50 top pros and just a couple marshals to work it. If you put it up then you got to finish the job and make it right. And while you are at it make sure you have one dedicated Marshall for the lead rider the entire race too, want to talk about cheating watts, that is the low hanging and biggest fruit..

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
In my mind, 20m makes the bike portion of the race more significant and dangerous. I want guys like Gomez having to pull on the bike, or otherwise give up a big gap going in to T2. Right now there is no incentive to really race the bike if you are an Uber runner. It makes for boring racing. It would be nice to see the Uber runners out of their comfort zone during the bike, as I think it would lead to more drama and uncertainty on the run.

this right here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So what you are saying is that the sport is evolving right? So it's only fair to suggest with that evolution, does the drafting rules need to be adjusted as well?

They possibly do need adjusted to 20m, purely to see what it does to race dynamics over a year or two's worth of racing.

From what I understand of a top 20 ITU power profile, I honestly don't think it'll make much of a difference to the end results, aprart from pancake flat courses. On a St George or Chattanoga type course, it makes no difference to the end result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just will continue to smile when I see some folks bitching about "drafting" on the bike. Where is the bitching and solutions to stop drafting on the swim. But I get it, so many cannot swim so they need their wetsuits and drafting so they do not look so bad. And if they could run, ........

Yep, the best TRIATHLETE won, again.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So maybe under some conditions at 12m a guy saves a few watts, most of the time it is nothing because of a crosswind, tailwind, or just not the ideal conditions that this distance gets tested at.

monty wrote:
No I get what you are driving at, I just don't think it will make one bit of difference, as the real advantage is mental pacing and just plain race tactics.

https://www.swissside.com/...e-deal-with-drafting
Last edited by: kileyay: Sep 12, 17 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well they begin their study with this premise, which of course is wrong on so many levels.

"Triathlon is intended to be an individual’s race where there is no team support, no external help, just the athlete against themselves and the elements."

It is not an individual race, usually you are racing with 100's in your direct vicinity. And it can absolutely be a team sport, lots of teams of convince formed out on the race course, just like in cycling races. You don't have to wear the same jersey, just have a common goal where you can help each other within the rules. Been like that since day one, so don't give me this historical nonsense that the sport was meant to be a pure time trial. Now of course we have made some rules to limit that type of team racing, like husband and wives, coaches and athletes, etc., cannot collude within a race. But perfect strangers can come together and do all sorts of team tactics to move their positions forward durning the race..

And I would challenge the results of their study, not that it is wrong, just the actual differences. And like I said, most of the bike courses I have ridden and see today do not lend themselves to this perfect and static air conditions.

In short, a triathlon is a race with rules, you follow those rules and you raced the race. You can change the rules if you want, but it was never meant to be a complete TT in any of the 3 sports..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So what you are saying is that the sport is evolving right? So it's only fair to suggest with that evolution, does the drafting rules need to be adjusted as well? //

Well since they began with a 5m zone and that has opened up several times over the years, I would say the sport has evolved in this regard, and quite a bit. But at some point you have to say enough is enough, we can't even see two guys in the frame anymore. So maybe under some conditions at 12m a guy saves a few watts, most of the time it is nothing because of a crosswind, tailwind, or just not the ideal conditions that this distance gets tested at. Whatever it is, it is much less than a swim draft, and less than the run draft. The entire race has some element of drafting, always has, always will. I think we have hit the upper zone of minimizing the bike draft to the point where it really won't make any difference in how guys race, or how they end up in those races.

Now if some race wants a 20m zone then fine, do it. But make sure you don't have 50 top pros and just a couple marshals to work it. If you put it up then you got to finish the job and make it right. And while you are at it make sure you have one dedicated Marshall for the lead rider the entire race too, want to talk about cheating watts, that is the low hanging and biggest fruit..

Mark, this is why I just smile when I see these posts. They always ignore that there is real drafting in the swim that can save tons of time. And even some on the run.

At Penticton, I did the sprint du and was running head to head with a guy in my AG, John Hill, that does not happen at local races. So, knew he was a stud.

So when we raced the std du together, I said to myself, I cannot beat him in the 10K, so why use energy trying. So I ran the entire first 10K on his butt, assuming I might get a little positive impact on using less energy.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
One thing that is interesting is that a 20m draft zone takes off some "pressure" on the officials. Now I may get my hand slapped for saying this but I think currently 12m the athletes can "game" the 12m draft zone. And that's not meant to say officials are at fault or that the athletes are directly trying to "cheat". I think it's simply the reality of the situation of guys riding in a paceline at 26 mph and an official sitting beside/behind/ahead and trying to "measure" 12m. I would find it almost impossible to have 3 officials from the exact same viewpoint able to consistently come up with the same measurements on riders. Again this is not a knock on the officials, this is more in line to say, what if the average distance really is 11.78934m in between each rider? It's like in MLB the rulebook has a directly defined strike zone, yet what do we see. We have all kinds of different strike zones, and pitchers know who calls a "tight" zone and who are "pitcher friendly". And again, this is not a knock on them, this is the reality and exactly why I think in 10 years, MLB will be using robots/machines to call balls/strikes.

So a 20m zone allows for more margin of error that doesn't have as a direct impact on the benefits of the draft zone. A rider at 11.87m gets more draft than rider at 12.00m, and carry that to 20m, if the margin of error has the riders riding truly at 19.83m instead of 20m, that difference is less critical the further out you go in the draft zone.

So essentially 12m zone right now puts absolute critical importance on officials to measure 12m, 12m. And again if I get my hand slapped for that, ok fine. But I think we are seeing draft zone distance options, and if we can discuss these things, great. So again, I'm not saying officials are doing a bad job. I actually think they are having to hold a standard that I don't think can be held in the current dynamics at this point in the development of the sport. You have what 6-8 guys all in a paceline, and 1 or 2 guys is suppose to sit there and watch and know that every single athlete is staying at 12m....that's just unrealistic, so then things start creeping up.

And finally yes it's the athlete's "responsibility" to know the rules and to ride 12m and not "creep up", and when they do they are "cheating" whether they get caught or not. But what I'm suggesting is that if 12m is a very tight window to actually measure for both athlete/official, why not decrease the margin of error and help both in the process?

I agree with you. I will take it further. At 20 m whether an athlete rides at 20 or 18 will make almost no difference. At 12 vs 10, it makes more difference. This takes the pressure off the officials without changing the outcome of the race. It will be pretty obvious in a 20m race is a rider is racing at 15 meters-17m. Outside that at 17+ you won't need to call it unless you want to take out the measuring stick on someone who you already saw racing at 12-17 for too long and is now closer to the limit at 18-20. You can call this guy sitting at 18-20 but for the guys riding pretty clean and then just did not keep their head up and encroached, you can just give them a warning and tell them to make the pass.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've said this several times before and I'm going to bring it up again. The draft zone should be based off of time and not distance. The size of the draft zone is largely a function of how fast you move. Therefore, if a draft zone is based off of time, it will automatically scale for the proper distance based off of the respective riding speed of the athlete. Furthermore, neither the officials nor the athletes have the tools to properly measure 12 meters whereas they all have easy access to a stopwatch. This makes it easier for athlete to comply with the rules and easier to enforce.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This course was made to break up the field- currents, non-wetsuit swim, hills.

The fact that it didn't break up the field (to some people's liking) is interesting.

I think this kind of proves one of Monty's points. The real advantage to riding 12 m apart in a pace line is related to smoothing of pacing. It is not a "draft" in the common sense.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Sep 12, 17 15:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
All you guys arguing for a different draft zone and how unfair this 12m is, what do you think the result of this race should have been?

As I see it the best overall triathlete won, a super swimmer/biker went out on a flier and got paid off with 2nd, solid ex ITU guy who has moved up quite profitably gets 3rd, and guys that lose 4 minutes in the swim or blow up fill out many of the next places. Seems to me it was a pretty fair race all around and the results reflect that.

There is nothing wrong with a 12m draft zone if enforced. What did Keinle think after hammering and closing 4 minutes, that everyone else was hammering in front of him? No they were just riding a comfortable pace waiting for him to catch, and be ready to match his pace afterwards. That is why he cannot break them at this junction in the race, he is toasted a bit from the chase, and everyone else is fresh and ready to up their watts to match his pace. He can't get mad because Gomez doesnt come to the front to set pace, why would he? He is the best runner in the race by far, why chance a blow up on the bike? That is like getting mad at some guy in a break at the TDF, for not pulling when his teammate has the yellow jersey in the peloton and 2nd place is in that break. Some things just don't make sense, and Gomez ever setting pace when the group is all together, is one of those just doesn't make sense scenarios. Silly to get mad about that. Javier is not Keinle's domestic, now if Sanders had been there it is a whole different situation. They could have traded pace and broke the group off of them and changed the dynamic. But he wasn't there so you have to play the cards dealt on the day..

The best triathletes are winning the big races, how it ought to be. If you lose 4 minutes in a swim you probably are not the best triathlete under any circumstances, sorry guys but just too many that lose no time who can also bike and run like monsters..

Spot on.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little thought experiment:

Let's compare two riders- same height and weight.
Rider 1 - FTP 385
Rider 2 - FTP 360

Let's say that for pacing reasons it makes sense for both of them to ride in the same pace line.

At the end of the day it might appear that rider 2 benefited from the draft.
But wouldn't rider 1 be considerably fresher.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kanute's Power file

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/2017-runner-up-finisher-ben-kanutes-ironman-70-3-world-championship-power-file/

I love these reports!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strong, no moto draft there.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rider 2 probably couldn't keep up with rider 1 at 12m.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Strong, no moto draft there.

X2

I'd really love to see everyone else's power file but especially those who sat in the chase group. The average power of Javier's solo ride portion versus his back in the group portion would be incredibly illuminating to see.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
monty wrote:
All you guys arguing for a different draft zone and how unfair this 12m is, what do you think the result of this race should have been?

As I see it the best overall triathlete won, a super swimmer/biker went out on a flier and got paid off with 2nd, solid ex ITU guy who has moved up quite profitably gets 3rd, and guys that lose 4 minutes in the swim or blow up fill out many of the next places. Seems to me it was a pretty fair race all around and the results reflect that.

There is nothing wrong with a 12m draft zone if enforced. What did Keinle think after hammering and closing 4 minutes, that everyone else was hammering in front of him? No they were just riding a comfortable pace waiting for him to catch, and be ready to match his pace afterwards. That is why he cannot break them at this junction in the race, he is toasted a bit from the chase, and everyone else is fresh and ready to up their watts to match his pace. He can't get mad because Gomez doesnt come to the front to set pace, why would he? He is the best runner in the race by far, why chance a blow up on the bike? That is like getting mad at some guy in a break at the TDF, for not pulling when his teammate has the yellow jersey in the peloton and 2nd place is in that break. Some things just don't make sense, and Gomez ever setting pace when the group is all together, is one of those just doesn't make sense scenarios. Silly to get mad about that. Javier is not Keinle's domestic, now if Sanders had been there it is a whole different situation. They could have traded pace and broke the group off of them and changed the dynamic. But he wasn't there so you have to play the cards dealt on the day..

The best triathletes are winning the big races, how it ought to be. If you lose 4 minutes in a swim you probably are not the best triathlete under any circumstances, sorry guys but just too many that lose no time who can also bike and run like monsters..

Spot on.

x2. well said, monty. 12m is arbitrary, as is 20m, 19m, 11m, or anything else. you show up and you toe the line, and deal with everything that includes: weather, terrain, competitors, rules. . . if you know your strengths won't be rewarded, you either work on your weaknesses or find another race, or accept a sub-optimal finish.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying in general.... is there anyway to find out if an individual got a penalty?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except it's not so why we are saying a wider draft zone wouldn't improve the actual "non draft" portion of the bike is beyond me.

ETA- all you guys saying draft advantage wouldn't be any different from 12m to 20m that's defying proven aerodynamics. Now you may think it changes how race has to handle the course and that's fine. But to say there would be no real aerodynamic difference that's not accurate. I assume you guys would know that just as difference in 5m gap and 12m gap is there. Of course we'll never have a true "non draft" because that would take 50+m gaps. But races have made 20m work without groundbreaking race changes.

Of course you race the rules of the race. Who the hell isnt saying that.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 13, 17 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Jackets wrote:
monty wrote:

Spot on.

x2. well said, monty. 12m is arbitrary, as is 20m, 19m, 11m, or anything else. you show up and you toe the line, and deal with everything that includes: weather, terrain, competitors, rules. . . if you know your strengths won't be rewarded, you either work on your weaknesses or find another race, or accept a sub-optimal finish.

While I agree with much of what Monty wrote in many parts, to say that 12 meters versus 20 m or anything else is arbitrary is laughable. Sorry.

Javi executed a brilliant race within the rules that are set out, just as if he had won a fully draft legal race.

I think it really just comes down to what people perceive non itu Triathlon as IDEALLY being: as close as is feasible to a true Individual time trial, or a nearly draft legal bike that we pretend is non drafting.

Personally, I think that bumping it out to 20 meters would show the strongest overall athlete, but not necessarily the strongest overall tactical competitor.

And yeah, I know there's drafting on the swim in the Run blah blah blah blah blah blah blah the bike is more than half the race, so if you can keep that clean, you've already got half the racing non drafting right there.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whether you think athletes should or shouldn't complain, when a guy that is ranked as one of your race organization rankings basically doesn't race due to the race rules, I think it should allow for some conversations.

I think some even mentioned wtc said this race was among the "fairest" courses you can get on the telecast.

So whether right wrong or indifferent I think it atleast brings up topic of conversation to talk about and not just "this is the rules, athletes should shut up and train better if they don't like them."

As I said maybe 12m is the best compromise and maybe it isn't. If it is fair enough, just don't also say 20m wouldn't make an impact on the race dynamics when it has been already shown it can help with a better fairer "non draft" race.

Also Im not advocating 20m to help or hurt anyone but to make the race as individualistic "non draft" racing as much as we can.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
Jackets wrote:
monty wrote:

Spot on.

While I agree with much of what Monty wrote in many parts, to say that 12 meters versus 20 m or anything else is arbitrary is laughable. Sorry.

Javi executed a brilliant race within the rules that are set out, just as if he had won a fully draft legal race.

I think it really just comes down to what people perceive non itu Triathlon as IDEALLY being: as close as is feasible to a true Individual time trial, or a nearly draft legal bike that we pretend is non drafting.

Personally, I think that bumping it out to 20 meters would show the strongest overall athlete, but not necessarily the strongest overall tactical competitor.

And yeah, I know there's drafting on the swim in the Run blah blah blah blah blah blah blah the bike is more than half the race, so if you can keep that clean, you've already got half the racing non drafting right there.

But should the bike be over half the race??? You have inadvertently hit on the root of the whole issue: if each leg took roughly 1/3 of the race, then the athletes would be much more spread out when they get on their bikes, not to mention a bit more tired. Swimming say 5000 m would spread competitors out a good bit more.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 worlds men's race thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
Jackets wrote:
monty wrote:

Spot on.

But should the bike be over half the race??? You have inadvertently hit on the root of the whole issue: if each leg took roughly 1/3 of the race, then the athletes would be much more spread out when they get on their bikes, not to mention a bit more tired. Swimming say 5000 m would spread competitors out a good bit more.

Again, seems the folks that bitch are the bikers that cannot swim or run.. Go to crit racing and get your butts kicked.

They always ignore that they probably are drafting on the swim, since they probably suck.

It is already bad enough that the bike portion FAR outweighs the other parts, which is why I cannot compete at longer events. Make the swim, bike and run equal times, and I bet I would be even more competitive against the folks who cannot swim or run. :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next