Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 in prep for IMLP
Quote | Reply
I just completed my IMLP deferral registration for 2019, and I'm looking to plan out my lead-up.

I know Quassy is the go-to choice (especially with Syracuse gone), but I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not missing anything else. Has anyone done the half at White Mountains and can compare the two?

Any other New England hilly 70.3 races I should have on my radar? Well, actually.... What other New England / northeast races of any length are great prep?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 in prep for IMLP [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did White Mountains when it was back in mid-June - thought it was great prep. Alas, it's now a bit late for most people.

There's obviously Quassy, and IMMT 70.3. Patriot is flatter, but you get the good simulation of never getting a break off the pedals for about the whole course (which is what's really the killer with Placid, anyways).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tupper Lake Tinman should be everyone’s go to prep for LP. A month out from IMLP, long standing, well run local race, challenging course andan opportunity to be near LP for IM course recon.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 in prep for IMLP [Natrl DIZZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Natrl DIZZ wrote:
Tupper Lake Tinman should be everyone’s go to prep for LP. A month out from IMLP, long standing, well run local race, challenging course andan opportunity to be near LP for IM course recon.

Agree, great way to make use of the weekend by doing Tupper on Saturday and getting some time in on the LP course the next day. That's typically the same weekend as the horse show in LP so logistically could be good to either stay in LP or in Saranac Lake to be in the middle of both spots.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMLP this year and did Eagleman 70.3 as a tuneup. It's completely flat, so a departure from the LP terrain, but at least you get the feeling of constantly pedaling.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 in prep for IMLP [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Natrl DIZZ wrote:
Tupper Lake Tinman should be everyone’s go to prep for LP. A month out from IMLP, long standing, well run local race, challenging course and an opportunity to be near LP for IM course recon.

Agree, great way to make use of the weekend by doing Tupper on Saturday and getting some time in on the LP course the next day. That's typically the same weekend as the horse show in LP so logistically could be good to either stay in LP or in Saranac Lake to be in the middle of both spots.

I love the idea (and I've heard it's a great race), I don't like the cost or the logistics. I'm in Maine, so it's enough of a haul and accommodations are expensive enough in that area I'm not sure I could stomach it twice. But I'll check - I could be mistaken on the accommodation costs.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 in prep for IMLP [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I did White Mountains when it was back in mid-June - thought it was great prep. Alas, it's now a bit late for most people.

There's obviously Quassy, and IMMT 70.3. Patriot is flatter, but you get the good simulation of never getting a break off the pedals for about the whole course (which is what's really the killer with Placid, anyways).

I missed general registration for IMMT 70.3, so at $750 for a half that's out. I have heard rave reviews of Patriot, but I'm not sure it's the best race for what I'm trying to achieve. We're looking at 5 weeks from White Mountains to IMLP next year; is that just too close? My training plan calls for the half to be 8 weeks prior, ideally.

ninagski wrote:
I did IMLP this year and did Eagleman 70.3 as a tuneup. It's completely flat, so a departure from the LP terrain, but at least you get the feeling of constantly pedaling.

I have also heard from my friends who have raced it that (aside from the run being on the surface of the sun), Eagleman is a great race. I would really like the hills though - I am not a great climber (yeah, I know.... but I want IMLP!!) and my experience of cruising along all day on the flat is vastly different from my experience of climbing, even though the "constant pedaling" thing makes sense logically.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 in prep for IMLP [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Natrl DIZZ wrote:

I was considering this race as LP prep, but was concerned that it's too close to the IM. With only 4 weeks in between, is that enough time?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 in prep for IMLP [macwhinb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not an issue where a lot of people who do Tupper use it as part of their prep for LP where they can also get some time on the LP course the next day and make a good training weekend out of it. Good way to gauge where you are at before the final big push before taper.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply