Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 Worlds St. George September
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday! Thoughts on how many athletes will be racing at the 70.3 STG in May that are already qualified for Worlds in Sept? I would think a bunch to get a view of the course, but looking for discussion here and what your thoughts are? 150 slots available which is crazy!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [climonge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll be easy to know soon as entry lists for Worlds in Sept already published - https://www.ironman.com/...hampionship-athletes
So will wait for the start list of 70.3 in May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a slot and am racing in May. Know two other athletes racing in May, one with a slot and one without. I've been training pretty consistently and was hoping to qualify for worlds this year (I live in Utah so it's super convenient). But with 150 on offer that's like 15 slots in M30-34 and definitely makes it feel like it would be a bit less of an accomplishment.

That said, if I do get a slot I will certainly take it. I'm no snob :)

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman website is now saying 250 slots plus 50 Women in Tri slots available at St George in May. I sure hope you get your slot. Has it ever been easier to get into Worlds from a single race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing in May and don't have a slot yet. Normally, STG is a tough place to qualify even though they normally have 75-100 slots (or whatever) because the field is so high quality. But with 250 slots and some number of people staying home because of 'Rona, should be a good place to pick up a slot.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Apr 8, 21 11:57
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its funny though...the website says 250 slots but the Athlete Guide came out today and said 100 slots. I guess just put your head down and go fast and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gulf Coast 70.3 updated theirs to 150 slots (was 120 a week or two ago). This years Worlds is going to be very different. So few races are eligible to qualify, so they have like 5x - 8x more slots than usual.

2022 in New Zealand qualification is going to be very interesting. There are a record number of fall 2021 races due to the postponements, so they will have to reduce their slots. Getting a NZ 2022 WC slot will be tougher. That field could be one of the strongest ever.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The US races are going to have way more slots because the race is in the US. In previous years they have upped the slots for European races when it was in Nice and for the Australia/New Zealand/Asian races when it was in that region. I am totally fine with that because when the race was in South Africa they couldn't give away slots at most North America 70.3 races. I remember hearing about announcers asking if there was anyone interested to come get a slot after they tried to roll them down to a certain point.
Back to your point, I agree. There will be very minimal slots available at North American 70.3 races for Taupo next year.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Gulf Coast 70.3 updated theirs to 150 slots (was 120 a week or two ago). This years Worlds is going to be very different. So few races are eligible to qualify, so they have like 5x - 8x more slots than usual.

2022 in New Zealand qualification is going to be very interesting. There are a record number of fall 2021 races due to the postponements, so they will have to reduce their slots. Getting a NZ 2022 WC slot will be tougher. That field could be one of the strongest ever.

I think this is exactly it. Races in Europe will not happen until July (my May and June 70.3 races in Europe have already been cancelled and I am worried about the July event) at the absolute earliest and that leaves, what, 6 weeks of qualifying races for 2021 in St George. As a consequence, those races that do happen in places that are opening up more quickly, will have unusually high numbers of qualifying spots.

Also agree that almost the opposite is true for Taupo, NZ in 2022. That said, travelling to NZ is a big trip (in terms of both time and money) for North Americans and Europeans, and that may cause some who qualify not to accept.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
........... when the race was in South Africa they couldn't give away slots at most North America 70.3 races. I remember hearing about announcers asking if there was anyone interested to come get a slot after they tried to roll them down to a certain point.

To be fair this took place at a number of NA 70.3s I went to when Worlds was in Chattanooga. They were handing them out to the fastest times of those who came to the stage after the roll down. In the M30-34 at one race it rolled down to 50th or so for the final slot.

If one is finishing in the top 30% or so of their AG consistently and with a little planning of their races they should secure a slot with very little trepidation about missing out.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was waiting for the start list for the 70.3 Florida race next weekend in Haines City but apparently they won’t be doing them this year for races.

Someone posted that they had contacted Ironman and this was their response - ‘Due to our updated waivers and policies for 2021, we are unable to post participant and bib list due to our privacy disclosure’
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [Tweeks07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, unfortunately, this year things go that way.

However, it's possible right now to look up a participant and his Bib in 70.3 Texas via IRONMAN App (https://track.rtrt.me/e/IRM-TEXAS703-2021), so I guess the same goes for 70.3 Florida and St.George (3-5 days before the start).
So if someone's desperate enough, he'll be able to search manually if there's a 70.3 WC qualifier participating in an upcoming event.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still a fair amount of potential qualifier races... but St G in May should have 250 slots + 50 WFT slots

The North American 2021 races that feed into the St George WC race are:

Texas
Florida
St G
Gulf Coast
Chatty
Acapulco
Hawaii
Virginia Blue Ridge
Eagleman
Des Moines
Mont Tremblant
Lubbock
Steelhead
Mussleman
Oregon
Ohio
Boulder (Aug 7)

https://www.ironman.com/im703-world-championship-register
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the rough event schedule? It still isn't posted yet on the website and I'm looking to start booking hotel, etc. A big question mark for me is travel, as I'll be coming from Canada, but I figure if hotel is secure, I can get a cheap flight to Vegas relatively late.

I know that the racing happens on Sat/Sun, but which gender is on which date?

When do the festivities officially start? Check in?

Anyone know this info or can infer based on previous WCs?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race is Friday/Saturday (16/17 September). No other details are out that I am aware of.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Anyone know this info or can infer based on previous WCs?
70.3 WC Nice 2019:

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - Check in (bib pickup) for all athletes
Friday - Mandatory Bike and bags check-in for women
Saturday - Women Start
Saturday - Mandatory Bike and bags check-in for men
Sunday - Men start

As 2021 Worlds will be on Friday/Saturday, it's safe to come to St. George on Wednesday/Thursday, no later.
Will wait for the official schedule anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
jpay wrote:
........... when the race was in South Africa they couldn't give away slots at most North America 70.3 races. I remember hearing about announcers asking if there was anyone interested to come get a slot after they tried to roll them down to a certain point.

To be fair this took place at a number of NA 70.3s I went to when Worlds was in Chattanooga. They were handing them out to the fastest times of those who came to the stage after the roll down. In the M30-34 at one race it rolled down to 50th or so for the final slot.

If one is finishing in the top 30% or so of their AG consistently and with a little planning of their races they should secure a slot with very little trepidation about missing out.

Funny, my experience was the absolute opposite. Geography matters, I suppose. I was really hoping for a roll down as Chattanooga is a reasonable drive from Michigan for a WC. I finished 33rd out of 165 in M 35-39 at Muncie - my fastest half at that point. I was hoping the fast guys would have their spots already and maybe one would roll. Nah. I think the last Chattanooga slot went to 8th or 9th!

Fingers crossed Steelhead happens this year so I can try again.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
The race is Friday/Saturday (16/17 September). No other details are out that I am aware of.

I think this is accurate, day of the week wise. Not sure there would be Sunday racing in Utah. In Chattanooga (last 70.3 WC for me) women were day 1 and men day 2. I’m not sure if they keep that year-to-year or swap back and forth.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know it was Fri/Sat oops. Will have to re-book a hotel, what is the reasoning for this?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is because Utah is quite a religious state and rarely allows events on Sundays. All the IMs and 70.3s there and XTERRAs all are on Saturday. It may not be a rule, but maybe a cultural thing.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes Utah has a large portion of people that believe Sunday is for rest and worship. However the race could happen on a Sunday. It isn't against the laws. It actually comes down to volunteers and they wouldn't get enough people for a Sunday race.
Last edited by: xarope8: Apr 19, 21 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [xarope8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend a hotel or place to stay that is close to the finish?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Participant list for 70.3 St. George on May 1st is up https://www.ironman.com/...3-st-george-athletes
Last edited by: NickMa: Apr 20, 21 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I just got an email offering me a deferral to either NZ in 2022 or Finland in 2023.

I originally qualified back in 2019 at Maine 70.3 for NZ 2020 and took the deferral for St. George since it's closer to me here in Canada.

I'm wracking my brain here to figure out which one I want - I guess this is the paradox of choice. They're all good choices! Though part of me wants to do it this year- I've never been to a WC and would like to experience it sooner. Plus St. George doesn't involve crossing an ocean...

The trick here is that our border rules are supposed to stay in place until July - after that who knows? If there was still the 2 week quarantine in place, and with 2 young kids at home there's no way I could do a 2 week quarantine on top of the solo trip itself.

Anyone else in a similar boat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
So I just got an email offering me a deferral to either NZ in 2022 or Finland in 2023.

I originally qualified back in 2019 at Maine 70.3 for NZ 2020 and took the deferral for St. George since it's closer to me here in Canada.

I'm wracking my brain here to figure out which one I want - I guess this is the paradox of choice. They're all good choices! Though part of me wants to do it this year- I've never been to a WC and would like to experience it sooner. Plus St. George doesn't involve crossing an ocean...

The trick here is that our border rules are supposed to stay in place until July - after that who knows? If there was still the 2 week quarantine in place, and with 2 young kids at home there's no way I could do a 2 week quarantine on top of the solo trip itself.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

Yep, similar boat here. UK based. Qualified at Zell am See in 2019 for Taupo and deferred to St George as i suspected (rightly!) that there wouldn't be many opportunities to qualify for St George off the bat. I'm almost certain the Worlds will go ahead, given the race this weekend, but the question is whether we'll be allowed to travel. Two fold really, will the USA allow us in (currently only for essential travel and even then, not easy) and will the UK allow us 'out' (will depend on a traffic light system as to what we have to do on return; nothing, isolate at home or isolate in a quarantine hotel at your cost.

I still want to race if i can, but I've asked Ironman what their policy will be if we can't attend the race due to travel restrictions. I'm not expecting them to be helpful to be honest.
Quote Reply

Prev Next