Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
Good or bad, you get me as RD for this race as well. We have a pretty good idea of the new swim, bike and run courses but wont really get them confirmed until the first of the year. We have IM Choo next weekend and then Kona. After that we will really start dialing in the courses for next years WC race. Should be a fun one, Chatt has really embraced the events here and shows no sign of slowing down.

Brian

Brian I did IM Choo last year and know you put on a great race so I am really looking forward to it.

Ps, killing some of those hills on the run would be appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:
What was the going rate for downtown hotels during the IM or 70.3 in Chattanooga? I'm curious whether they get outrageous closer to race day.

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn (311 Chestnut) for $230 a night. It's 2 blocks to the IM Village and Transition, and tons of restaurants.

I have a res there next year for the 70.3 in May and the WC.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:
What was the going rate for downtown hotels during the IM or 70.3 in Chattanooga? I'm curious whether they get outrageous closer to race day.

$229 at Residence Inn 215 chestnut for the 70.3 this year. Like above, excellent race location
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a hotel question, but any idea on whether bike check-in would be day before the race or two days out? Most 70.3 races are day before, but I think the 70.3 WC at Tremblant was 2 days.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has to be the day before since the men and women race on different days. Unless they have two separate transition areas, it will have to be a late check in for the men since we will have to wait for the women's bikes to be removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Not a hotel question, but any idea on whether bike check-in would be day before the race or two days out? Most 70.3 races are day before, but I think the 70.3 WC at Tremblant was 2 days.

With the women's race the day before I'd say 2 days is out. Maybe the day before but later in the day.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Mooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm local, so I can give you more information than those that have only raced. First and foremost, checkout https://rootsrated.com/ironman-chattanooga. It has lots of great information. Second, I think people are nuts to drive from Atlanta or Nashville to only save a few dollars on flights. Both Nashville and Atlanta can get very congested plus you will need to arrive 2 hours or more early for your flight. In Chattanooga you can get there 30 minutes before the flight and be fine. It's not worth the hassle for a few dollars. Third, almost every hotel in downtown Chattanooga will be fine. I would recommend any hotel north of MLK Boulevard. Fourth, the temperature and humidity can be high. I believe the race is the second weekend in September. That is usually when the summer heat starts to break. This year was hot. For instance, September 10th was 95F for a high with the humidity at 81 percent. Other years it has been lower. Finally, the course will be different the IM Chattanooga or IM Chattanooga 70.3. I've been told it will be going over Lookout Mountain which I think is awesome! But who knows (other than Brian).

Congratulations and enjoy our awesome city!

P.S. Make sure to follow Brian. He knows what he is talking about. :)
Last edited by: jbholcom: Sep 20, 16 12:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a lot of people are saying to fly into Nash or ATL. In my experience with Delta, it is cheaper to fly into CHA than ATL. I fly back home a couple times a year from SLC and it is always cheaper to fly into CHA than ATL even though it is the same flight.

Food check out Taco Mamacitas as well.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Snowvols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I can say is it was way cheaper and direct flights to ATL vs. more $$$ and connections to Chatt, travel time was less to fly + drive for less than fly direct to Chatt. Just my experience. Folks obviously just need to check airfare and connections from their homes for the right time of year
Last edited by: ChrisM: Sep 20, 16 15:14
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea if the swim is more than likely to be non wetsuit?, may well start looking for a swim skin in the off season.

It's only impossible if you stop to think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mooks wrote:
Any idea if the swim is more than likely to be non wetsuit?

Definitely more likely to be NON wetsuit. The full that is at the end of September is usually non wetsuit.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So does anyone have any idea what the schedule is going to look like with a 2 day event now? Can men check into the race on Saturday or do we have to be there on Friday to check in?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
So does anyone have any idea what the schedule is going to look like with a 2 day event now? Can men check into the race on Saturday or do we have to be there on Friday to check in?

Only RD Brian knows for sure, but at Vegas Worlds there was no athlete check the day before the race. In Australia there was. With a 2 day event, I would doubt they would offer Male athlete checkin the day before as that is when the Women's race is.

I would anticipate that Friday would be the last day for any Athlete check in. I'll be there Thursday anyways.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
stevej wrote:

Only RD Brian knows for sure, but at Vegas Worlds there was no athlete check the day before the race. In Australia there was. With a 2 day event, I would doubt they would offer Male athlete checkin the day before as that is when the Women's race is.

I would anticipate that Friday would be the last day for any Athlete check in. I'll be there Thursday anyways.

Yeah I would be surprised if they let us check in on Saturday with the women's race the same day. Just trying to figure out travel schedule and vacation time.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [jbholcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbholcom wrote:
Second, I think people are nuts to drive from Atlanta or Nashville to only save a few dollars on flights. Both Nashville and Atlanta can get very congested plus you will need to arrive 2 hours or more early for your flight. In Chattanooga you can get there 30 minutes before the flight and be fine. It's not worth the hassle for a few dollars.

I agree with this. Check the flights into CHA and avoid all the major hassles associated with the major airports (long security lines, etc.) in Nashville and Atlanta and then fighting traffic for 100+ miles. CHA is a small airport and so easy to get into and out of. Your sanity is worth the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Zell last year they raced the 70.3 on the Saturday and then racked the W.C 70.3 later the same day. Same transition but the bike racking was split in two.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if folks noticed but IM posted accommodations on the event website. I was able to snag a room downtown at the doubletree.

http://www.ironman.com/...p/accomodations.aspx

https://mmxreservations.com/...2017IRONMAN70.3WORLD

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, the official travel partners and now offering a selection of different hotels and packages.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IMChoo 2014 I booked the Doubletree for 3 nights for $600 total.

At Choo 70.3 in 2015 I know the hotels downtown wanted a 2-3 night minimum stay.

For Choo 70.3 in 2016 & 2017 I've stayed at the Courtyard right next to transition for 2 nights for $500.

For IMChoo 2016 I had 3 nights at the Marriot Convention center for ~$600. The closer hotels wanted 3 nights for over $300 a night. I just used the rental bikes to get around pre-race and after the race rode my bike back to the hotel.

For the WC 70.3 I booked a room a the Chattanooga Choo Choo for 3 nights for $600 total. I'm from Atlanta and haven't attempted to qualify for it yet, but I figure even if I don't I want to go up there and watch it.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I gather, there's an ample amount of parking available on race day, so the need to stay within walking distance of the race isn't that crucial. I also have yet to qualify, but am thinking of reserving a room outside of the downtown area and just driving in on race morning.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is plenty of parking. That being said, downtown Chattanooga is pretty fun. If it's your first time to the city I'd suggest the Choo Choo, Covention Center, Staybridge Suites. It's still downtown but usually not as expensive.

I'm staying downtown for both 70.3s but for the full this year I'm going to stay around hamilton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
From what I gather, there's an ample amount of parking available on race day, so the need to stay within walking distance of the race isn't that crucial.

That's true, but it is really nice to stay downtown. You literally don't have to drive all weekend if you don't want to. Transition, IM Village, tons of restaurants are right there, like 2 blocks.

I can only think of a couple of venues that I have raced that are like that. Kona is and Challenge Knoxville was a 3/4 mile walk to swim start, so maybe just one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not knowing when they'll let us check in and coming from the west coast, I booked 5 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn and it was like $1,600. Cancelable. Looks like they're gouging for the weekend (no surprise). The first two nights are at $200 and then the price jumps to $300 for Fri, Sat & Sun. Will check out some other options.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:
Not knowing when they'll let us check in and coming from the west coast, I booked 5 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn and it was like $1,600. Cancelable. Looks like they're gouging for the weekend (no surprise). The first two nights are at $200 and then the price jumps to $300 for Fri, Sat & Sun. Will check out some other options.

Gouging is an understatement...

Most of the hotels I've checked in the downtown area (mostly IHG brand) are "unavailable for that weekend". I never saw them become "available", though. I'm booking for 4 nights, but will cancel that extra night if we don't need to check in until Friday.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:
I booked 5 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn and it was like $1,600. Cancelable. Looks like they're gouging for the weekend (no surprise). The first two nights are at $200 and then the price jumps to $300 for Fri, Sat & Sun. Will check out some other options.

Yeah, I booked the Hilton Garden Inn back in September before WTC/Visitors Bureau scooped up all the rooms. I booked 4 nights: Thur/Sun was $219, but Fri/Sat was only $229.

Quote Reply

Prev Next