Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 WC winner Nike Next%
Quote | Reply
Just have to share my observation. Iden was wearing the Nike Next %. Brownlee was wearing adidas. Just saying, it’s worth pointing out. Von Berg wearing 4%.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryf was wearing ASICS and Lawrence and Simmons were wearing Next %. Ryf is just damn good shoes don’t matter. I think Brownlee had a chance if he was wearing Next % and I’m not joking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many of the men's top 10 finishers were wearing Vaporfly Next% or Vaporfly 4%? I didn't see all of the top 10 finishers cross the line, but of the ones I did see I saw 3 x Vaporfly Next% and 1 x Vaporfly 4%.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even Starky was wearing the Next %

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll find in Kona pretty much every pro male and female NOT locked into a shoe contract will be in either the NEXT% or 4% Flyknit.

The evidence is pretty clear if you are running faster than 7:00/ml the benefit of them is there.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:

The evidence is pretty clear if you are running faster than 7:00/ml the benefit of them is there.

Like aerodynamics it’s likely that benefit applies across all paces, not just sub 7.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore mine with speed laces. It did not go well. The speed lacing caused my foot to arch inside shoe. The result was hobbling for 7 miles and almost running barefoot. They also made a 2in blister on my sole where the skin bunched up from it. I am guessing the offset lacing caused it

Talking to Starky at the awards he said the normal laces should be used, and he just added lace locks at the top. He also talked about speed lacing having an effect on the carbon plate. He is an engineer so I tend to trust his opinion.

It never happened in training runs but only had a mile with the speed laces. Also after about 25mi the sole looks barely worn. So much better than the 4s

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone is wearing them that doesn't have a shoe sponsor requirement.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you have to take the time to lace them up?

Additionally, is anyone using their "trainer version" of the shoe? I forget the name of it, but the shoe guy (who is a runner) at my store, told me to get the trainer version because the next % only last for 100 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll try starky’s idea of us pulling thru lace locks but otherwise yes.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s my experience with my 4% so far. I ran a minute faster yesterday at a local Sprint race. I’ve raced this same course many times so it’s pretty accurate.

Off the bike, springy feeling does help a lot. My legs are tired but I’m not dragging my legs like before. Right after T2, I passed a lot of people.

Lock Laces wouldn’t work with these. I tie my shoes just about right, so I can barely slip my feet in. If you don’t wear socks, they will dig into back of your ankle so it’s not a good idea.

Overall, my run time is improved and most of all, my legs are less tired and that’s what I love about them the most. One negative thing is if you are so tired and can’t lift your feet, you will definitely feel the carbon plates and they feel hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re talking about the Zoomfly, which I refer to as the “2%” yes, as the 4% weren’t available in a size 14. I like them quite a bit for racing, but I’ve run one or two speed workouts in them and it’s actually weird to run slow in them during warmup/cool down.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I wore mine with speed laces. It did not go well. The speed lacing caused my foot to arch inside shoe. The result was hobbling for 7 miles and almost running barefoot. They also made a 2in blister on my sole where the skin bunched up from it. I am guessing the offset lacing caused it

Talking to Starky at the awards he said the normal laces should be used, and he just added lace locks at the top. He also talked about speed lacing having an effect on the carbon plate. He is an engineer so I tend to trust his opinion.

It never happened in training runs but only had a mile with the speed laces. Also after about 25mi the sole looks barely worn. So much better than the 4s

I put elastic laces in my Next % and have 2 long runs in them with no issues. Socks are a must because of the material of the upper. Personally I don’t make my laces very tight as I use orthotics which make for a snugger fit then just using the Nike insole.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

Additionally, is anyone using their "trainer version" of the shoe? I forget the name of it, but the shoe guy (who is a runner) at my store, told me to get the trainer version because the next % only last for 100 miles.

If you mean the Turbo 2, yes I am. It has the same foam without the carbon plate. They feel very similar to the Next but not as bouncy.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. Last year I trained in the Pegasus Turbos and raced the 4%. On to Peg Turbo 2s and Next %. All excellent shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just noticed Lucy Charles was also in Next.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

If you mean the Turbo 2, yes I am. It has the same foam without the carbon plate. They feel very similar to the Next but not as bouncy.

This is only partly true. The Turbo 2 has a layer of ZoomX foam (similar to the 4% and Next%) and a layer of React foam, with no plate. It has the shape of the Pegasus, which is more nerrow than the Next%
The Zoomfly 3 looks has more of the shape of the Next%, has a carbon plate, but all React foam. It has a bouncy feeling, but is very heavy. Does hold up for many miles (I put a few hundred miles on it), but don't get the white upper since it looks like crap after 2 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone wearing the next% without socks wothout issues?

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:

Jeroen

I tried and it was not good.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same. Sprint tri, decided to run the 5k sockless, got a terrible blister on my heel. Definitely will never do that again.

However, I do use lock laces, and haven't seen any issue there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:

Jeroen

I used them with socks and laces in a 70.3 run withotu issue. I tried them sockless, with laces, in a sprint tri (5K run), without issue. I tried them again, sockless and with lock laces, in an OLY (10K run), and developed a toe blister that started barking at me around mile 2 or 3. The last half of the run was, . . . interesting :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:

Jeroen

It won't work. Material is so stiff and harsh, it will cut through your skin and leave terrible blister.
Been there and done that.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think his shoes cost him 2+ mins and slowed him down that much?
Last edited by: jeremyebrock: Sep 9, 19 22:48
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

This is only partly true. The Turbo 2 has a layer of ZoomX foam (similar to the 4% and Next%) and a layer of React foam, with no plate. It has the shape of the Pegasus, which is more nerrow than the Next%
The Zoomfly 3 looks has more of the shape of the Next%, has a carbon plate, but all React foam. It has a bouncy feeling, but is very heavy. Does hold up for many miles (I put a few hundred miles on it), but don't get the white upper since it looks like crap after 2 days.

I think he might mean the - Zoom fly flyknit.
Has the full length carbon plate.
I got a pair and they are awesome. Did personal best times straight away (on less run training).
Does not look like they are going to make them any more. Probably cause they were such good value.

Anyone know if they are going to re-release them?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC winner Nike Next% [MKen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zoom fly flyknit became the zoom fly 3.

The fly flyknit was the match for vaporfly : carbon midlayer & flyknit upper but react sole

The fly 3 is the match for next %: carbon midlayer, vaporweave upper(basically flyknit but waterproof fibers, so the shoe doesn't get heavy) but react sole

No idea what the plan is for the standard line , but if you really want flyknit in traditional fibers, you can go to nike.com -> Customize -> fly3 premium

In the fly3 premium, they will let you pick a traditional Flyknit base to bulid off of (as well as let you pick your color :) )
Quote Reply

Prev Next