Quote | Reply
Might be disappointing for many, but the right decision

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

For 70.3 you get a deferral choice of 2021 St George WC or 2022 WC TBD location, so maybe not too disappointed. This will dramatically effect remaining slots for 2021 WC!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
This will dramatically effect remaining slots for 2021 WC!
Only if the fall 2020 races happen. Few spring 2020 races happened, so the 2020 WC qualifiers got their slots in the fall of 2019. If we skip this fall's races, then the 2021 WC will be back on track for normal numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
This will dramatically effect remaining slots for 2021 WC!
Only if the fall 2020 races happen. Few spring 2020 races happened, so the 2020 WC qualifiers got their slots in the fall of 2019. If we skip this fall's races, then the 2021 WC will be back on track for normal numbers.

This may have already been thought through. Day 1 for new owners. Very good chance we will hear about the fall races very soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I qualified for 2020 WC and accepted the Feb option. I’m not that upset with the cancellation—I had a lot of mixed feelings about training through then, and eating into ski season.

I feel bad for the pros. I wish they could do a pro only race and still award a WC for them. Really, if all major sports are going to be up and running in the next few weeks, why not do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Chemist wrote:

For 70.3 you get a deferral choice of 2021 St George WC or 2022 WC TBD location, so maybe not too disappointed. This will dramatically effect remaining slots for 2021 WC!

Will it? There weren't many races this year before the virus ended things. with people choosing between 2021 and 2022 the increase probably won't be very noticeable
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I qualified for 2020 WC and accepted the Feb option. I’m not that upset with the cancellation—I had a lot of mixed feelings about training through then, and eating into ski season.

I feel bad for the pros. I wish they could do a pro only race and still award a WC for them. Really, if all major sports are going to be up and running in the next few weeks, why not do that?

The opening of all major sports is still uncertain, but if it happens, it will be in a very controlled environment and either without fans or very reduced fans. I expect we will here soon on the races scheduled for the remainder of 2020, but don’t be surprised if they wipe the slate clean.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [mikedrutar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St. George 70.3 in 2021 is gonna be lit. 🔥

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a 2021 race already being cancelled I wouldn’t assume any races in the first half of the year will take place.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
With a 2021 race already being cancelled I wouldn’t assume any races in the first half of the year will take place.

Yeah true

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All those that passed on a 70.3 WC slot, not wanting to schlep to NZ, have to feel sorta bummed they could have punched their ticket to StG. I know I feel that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was thinking the same thing. Lol

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

The 2 races canceled in 2021 are both races that have qualification races that are needed to complete the field. It is probable that those cancellations indicate likely cancellation of all, or most of the 2020 races, meaning no realistic chances to get the participation numbers to where they need them. While nothing in the next two years can be considered certain, there is good progress on potential vaccines that could be ready in 1st quarter 2021.
In the meantime, there is presently data from about 200 countries that compliance to mitigation requests of masks, distancing, and hand washing can in fact stop the spread of the virus. Unfortunately there are a few hold out countries that cannot get reasonable public compliance who have proven when you do things 1/2 way, you do not get 1/2 results. More people in this country are coming around, if we can push that to a strong majority we may be able to get this behind us before the end of 2020 :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They held a sprint triathlon in Colorado this past weekend. I think it was Fort Collins or something. I know a guy that did it. Said he swam in a pool, then bike/ran outside. They had staggered starts. True TT fashion...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

I agree a pro only race would be awesome, issue is that in triathlon the athletes are all over the world, and probably can't even fly in.

In football (soccer), all the e.g. PL teams are all in one small enclosed country and can just take the bus to matches, or when they proceed with Champions league next month, they can fly a whole team to Germany and just play out the matches there.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [mikedrutar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heard from someone who could defer to 2022. Do not know if he was registred for Feb 21 or oct 21.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Waingro wrote:

I agree a pro only race would be awesome, issue is that in triathlon the athletes are all over the world, and probably can't even fly in.

In football (soccer), all the e.g. PL teams are all in one small enclosed country and can just take the bus to matches, or when they proceed with Champions league next month, they can fly a whole team to Germany and just play out the matches there.

Premier league players are also having 2 tests a week, for triathletes to do a race theyd surely need some sort of biological passport.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Waingro wrote:

My feeling is the qualification run is not the problem. With the people qualified, and opening up registration for a citizen's wave, both Kona and Taupo could be economically run inclusive of a pro race. Travel restrictions make it a non starter. Most people from external to the US won't be able to travel to the US without a 14 day quarantine at home. NZ is closed off, and Hawaii needs you to quarantine for 14 days when you get there. This makes it impossible to do physical biz in an out of any of those places, and the business of running a triathlon worlds with people from all over the world is pretty tough.

I think by the time the new round of qualification races start up, it should be no problem for the 2021 fields. There are those already qualified, and since everything April onwards this year was cancelled, if everything April onwards happens next year, its a wash, and its like the year of triathlon that never happened....just an extra long base building period....so let's all go and train our asses off! My big goal this summer was to qualify for St. George 70.3 worlds and 2021 ITU World's in Bermuda. I think I can still do the first. I have no idea what is going to happen for qual for ITU next year out of Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone actually received an email for the 70.3 WC deferral? I am still waiting for that info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
All those that passed on a 70.3 WC slot, not wanting to schlep to NZ, have to feel sorta bummed they could have punched their ticket to StG. I know I feel that way.

Yeah this is true

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [harshc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
harshc wrote:
Has anyone actually received an email for the 70.3 WC deferral? I am still waiting for that info

The cancellation email I received for 70.3 champs said the deferral email will be sent out within the next 2 weeks

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but I have seen nothing in the first half of 2020 that would give me optimism that the second half of 2020 would be handled properly in a way that would allow for the type of mitigation you have outlined below. But, we can all hope.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC and IMWC officially cancelled [harshc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my email with options today.

1. Free transfer to the 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship, in St. George, Utah, USA on 17 - 18 September 2021; or
2. Free transfer to the 2022 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship, in TaupĹŤ, New Zealand on 10 - 11 December 2022.

The way this pandemic going I'll hope I'm allowed across the ditch into NZ in two years time rather than trying to get into the US and then be allowed home back to Oz 2021. It will give me two years to get back to race weight too...
Quote Reply

Prev Next