Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going?
Quote | Reply
This is going to be my first time going to a 70.3 WC and my first time going to the outer side of Earth (I live in the United States). I was wondering how other people have planned their travel for past WC events.

For example: Do you go out early while in taper and just see the sights and then come home a couple of days after the event? Do you travel in a few days before the event and just enjoy a vacation after racing the event?

I am going to take 2 weeks off of work for this event, my parents are joining my wife and I, and the in-laws are going to be staying with the kids.

I would really appreciate any insight and creativity that has worked for you in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We (wife and 6 m/o daughter) went 8 days before worlds in South Africa and stayed 3 days after, to both explore the area and to adjust to the time zone. Honestly we would have gone longer if we had more vacation days to use. We used the days after the race back in Cape Town to visit wineries, shark dive, etc.

In Cape Town before the race I did a couple of rides over Chapman's Peak with an old cycling pro to shake out the legs after the flight, along with some short runs before getting to Port Elizabeth. I found the cycling tour via AirBnB, but I'm sure that either through this forum, Chasing Watts, or something similar it won't be hard to hook up with some early AM group rides while you're there to compliment the sightseeing that you'll be doing.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I'm in AZ and the time difference isn't that big, assuming I qualify I'll head over 2-3d before the race. Then probably spend another week in NZ and the rest of the year w/ my family in AUS

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your better off heading in a few days before the event and vacationing after the race. That way all the stress is done with, you can eat and drink without worrying about hydration and nutrition etc. Taupo is also a good launch pad for traveling as it's only a few hrs drive to get to Wellington and head off down to the South Island, it's also close to places like Rotorua the cultural hub of NZ, and not far from the Hobbiton movie set if your into LOTR.

The weather there will likely be cool at that time of the year I'm guessing 50s in the morning to 70s in the afternoon. So it's not like you will need time to acclimate to the heat or anything like that.

I'm originally from Cambride NZ, a little over an hr from Taupo, but am currently living in Texas. Hopefully I can join you over there, I'm even in the same age group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came over for imnz 2008 from UK as a holiday, then moved over here 10 years ago.

First off, you will have a fantastic time. Same for any family you bring. We're spending Xmas down there in taupo again this year as it's so nice.

The journey from Auckland to taupo is a bit tricky so personally I'd allow a bit more time than 2 days from arrival to race. Ideally land Tuesday. It's either a full day drive (there are no freeways) or a flight, but it's a small plane and bike space is very limited and can't be guaranteed beforehand.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
The journey from Auckland to taupo is a bit tricky so personally I'd allow a bit more time than 2 days from arrival to race. Ideally land Tuesday. It's either a full day drive (there are no freeways) or a flight, but it's a small plane and bike space is very limited and can't be guaranteed beforehand.

Full day's drive? Google say's 3 1/2 hours which I'd agree with, even with people who are unfamiliar with our roads. AirNZ does a flight from Auckland but wouldn't be worth flying down easier to get a car in Auckland and drive down.

Yeah, we don't have any "freeways" but Auckland to Hamilton is 90% dual carriageway (when your not stuck in roadworks), and then it's reasonable (for New Zealand) roads down to Taupo.

I'd go with a full day from the time you land to getting sorted in Taupo with accommodation.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [gromaton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gromaton wrote:

Full day's drive? Google say's 3 1/2 hours which I'd agree with, even with people who are unfamiliar with our roads. AirNZ does a flight from Auckland but wouldn't be worth flying down easier to get a car in Auckland and drive down.

Yeah, we don't have any "freeways" but Auckland to Hamilton is 90% dual carriageway (when your not stuck in roadworks), and then it's reasonable (for New Zealand) roads down to Taupo.

I'd go with a full day from the time you land to getting sorted in Taupo with accommodation.

I hear you, I do. However, in terms of advice to someone getting off a 12 hour flight (min), plus the wait at airport before, etc then you aren't going to land and drive to Taupo that day. And 3.5 hours driving = 4 hours incuding a pee stop, which for a competitor after a long flight and wanting to race well you'd want to stretch out. Either way, by the time you get up after a bit of jet lag, eat brekkie, drive 4 hours and check in to hotel you're not dong a lot more that day. Just in terms of general advice, and as I said having both done this and been with several others over the years since that have come from us/uk, is what I maintain is 'best' practice. Doesn't mean it's impossible to do with less time, but for me I'd strongly recommend planning for a bit longer than the absolute min time if you can.

And 'reasonable for NZ roads' is akin to 'windy backroads' by most drivers experiences. Come on, as you know the NZ press is filled every year with comments about foreign drivers not used to NZ conditions. So encouraging people to give more time seems sensible all round. Ok, when we came over first time we spent 5 weeks and were in a camper van. But used to driving on the left and I had a lot of experience of driving vans/minibuses. Over the 5 weeks we got used to doing the travel calcs based on 50km/hr average to include breaks.

To the OP, there's another thread on the Taupo 70.3 with some other discussion on places to stay, travel, and an ongoing debate about water temperature which is 100% going to be perfectly fine or so cold they'll definitely cancel the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drive between Taupo and Auckland airport is more like 3 hours. I used to drive up to Auckland from Taupo (lived there 2.5 years) on a Friday night for dance parties and bands. With no stops central city is 3 hours easy driving from Taupo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair call. I think I misunderstood what you meant by full days drive.

And having grown up on NZ roads, I'm pretty used to them by now. I'd probably go with 5 hours with reasonable break for stretching/lunch. Pity there's not really anywhere good to stop for food other than Hamilton. Even then marginal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
This is going to be my first time going to a 70.3 WC and my first time going to the outer side of Earth (I live in the United States). I was wondering how other people have planned their travel for past WC events.

For example: Do you go out early while in taper and just see the sights and then come home a couple of days after the event? Do you travel in a few days before the event and just enjoy a vacation after racing the event?

I am going to take 2 weeks off of work for this event, my parents are joining my wife and I, and the in-laws are going to be staying with the kids.

I would really appreciate any insight and creativity that has worked for you in the past.

Hope to see you there !
I will try to get there as close to the time as possible, to maintain the quality of my taper. I say this because whenever I travel to race its a challenge to find where to do the final race prep.

Kind regards,
DJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Id get there a couple of days out and then as soon as it's over head to the south island.

It is seriously beautiful.

Going for 2 weeks, Id really suggest spending 1 full week in the south island. It's not that big of a place and you can easily drive around the south and see the best sites you'll see in your life.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Drive between Taupo and Auckland airport is more like 3 hours. I used to drive up to Auckland from Taupo (lived there 2.5 years) on a Friday night for dance parties and bands. With no stops central city is 3 hours easy driving from Taupo.

I don't remember the last time I did the Airport in under 3.5, let alone the city. And I drove it 4 times last month alone.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe you don't know the back road short cuts in the waikato...1.5 hours taupo to cambridge. 1.5 hours cambridge to auckland (back roads). this was my drive from 2003 to end of 2005. maybe it has changed? only time i've gone back to taupo since i moved away has been for ironman or kinloch sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

To be fair mate, you prob did back then. The roads these last 10 years have really changed, it's hideous. I know all of those routes you're talking about, doesn't matter which way you go even with the new Cambridge by-pass, the Waikato Expressway etc. We noticed it about 6-8 years ago changing, when we used to drive from Whangarei to Taupo you used to be able to pick certain times of day and sail through Auckland, those windows have gone now - there is just so much traffic on the roads, and so many road works, it's slowly crept south through the Waikato. I drive an Octavia VRS and like to stick my toe down, but you just can't these days on those roads. For an overseas visitor flying into Aucks and heading to Taupo, I'd allow 4 - 4.5 hours with a coffee stop in Tirau after the long flight.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [Deej345] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deej345 wrote:

I will try to get there as close to the time as possible, to maintain the quality of my taper. I say this because whenever I travel to race its a challenge to find where to do the final race prep.

Ok, confused. Taupo would be a pretty good place to do the final prep.... The lake is safe to swim in whenever - even without the course being marked (in reality it is pretty much possible to follow all year round as there are bouys out, just not the 'race' ones. Ditto the run and cycle course, all marked on the pavement with paint year round and with one easily detoured part of the course, open to the public and rideable whenever.

Hey, not telling you what to do (I've got loads of training squad mates aiming to qualify and going, so for them I shoudl be saying 'get to akl day before, it's an easy drive down, aim to arrive 6pm Friday). But I'm just offering some thoughts on options for you and anyone else.

In fact genuinely, you want to come a week early and head down to Tauranga (about 3 hours from Akl, 2.5 hrs from Taupo) then I'm more than happy to meet up, do some OW training with you, bike and run, put you on touch with local massage etc, and indeed I know for a fact then my TriClub would welcome you (and anyone else that would want to) into our group sessions. Heck we even let this spanish dude join us last summer when he was over here. He seemed to benefit from our sessions as he ended up winning the club sprint. https://www.sunlive.co.nz/...print-triathlon.html
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed, it probably has changed. better cafes in cambridge than tirau imo though. paddock is a fave. although that means getting off the main route. if you are travelling down from auckland anytime between 2.30/3 and 630/45pm, traffic is going to be bad for a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome @Duncan74

No idea of the layout and what Taupo is like but does sound like wouldn't be an issue to do final prep. Thanks much for the info and i'll bookmark the thread to follow up if I qualify at Florida 70.3 in April.

Best

Kind regards,
DJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may need to buy an extra week of vacation for the year and see if the wife will let me travel down ahead of her so that I can get in some quality training.

I should probably ask if finding an automatic transmission car is simple. If I have to drive a manual transmission while focusing on being on the left hand side of the road I could imagine some complications.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Oct 17, 19 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would find it hard to hire a manual car. Everything is auto.

Get GPS added, that will help too, especially as you also need to drive to speed limits in kph not mph. So the more thinking you can offload the better.

Lots of options, but I'd recommend landing, going to one of the many hotels a free shuttle bus away from the airport, or Novotel actually at the airport if finances allow, get a shower/sleep/ eat, then get the car and drive. It's all really easy to arrange, and you'll find the kiwi way is to make things easy, just a general approach.
Last edited by: Duncan74: Oct 17, 19 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of people talking about taking an extra day to drive but I think it really depends on what time your flight lands in Auckland. My flight from mainland US left from Houston and we landed at about 6am in NZ, so driving that day was no issue. The drive was about 3 hours so I was in Taupo well before noon. I will say that first night I'm pretty sure I went to bed at 5:30pm though, haha.

Personally I would only go down maybe 3 days early and then do most of the vacation stuff after so you can truly enjoy it without having to worry about being on your feet or eating right or hydrating, getting enough sleep, etc. When I did IMNZ I left the US on Sunday which got me there Tuesday (international date line makes this trip extra interesting!) for a Saturday race, then stayed a while after to explore the south island.

Cars are automatic there and the roads were in much better shape than I was expecting, so don't worry about that. I was thinking it would be like Ireland with extremely narrow roads and only manuals available to rent, but it was definitely nothing like that. You should be fine there.

I think so far it is my favorite place I've ever visited so definitely try to maximize your time there! Queenstown was my favorite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking for a recommendation on option for bike and wetsuit rental for this year's race (2019)???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am deciding on the dates to travel. So far I'm pretty set on travelling from US the weekend before race like...leave on Fri/Sat. Plan is to see a bit of the north island then head to Taupo on the Thursday. Spend 2-3 nights there then head towards south island for last week, return on that weekend so 2 full weeks in all. This would obviously mean flying back from a different airport so thats' still up in the air.

Have you looked into bike transport or lodging at Taupo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have raced in 6 World Championships (4 x ITU, 2 x 70.3). Would recommend planning the holiday after the event. You do not want long days walking around sightseeing in the lead up to the race.

Arrive at the event location with enough time to ride, run and swim the course.

Even with the best intentions, I rarely train as well when I am away from home (and away from my training partners). Some people adapt well to a new environment, others struggle (even amongst the pros).

Biggest issue traveling after the event is the bike and other event related gear (wetsuit, bike pump, etc). Ideally you would spend 5 or 6 days in a hotel in Taupo and then get them to store your gear for 2 weeks while you travel around. As long as you are coming back to stay another night or two at the end of your trip, most hotels are happy to store your gear for free.

Alternatively you can hire a bike for the event, or get it shipped back separately. My wife and I hired bikes for the 70.3 Worlds in Nice and it worked out great. Much better than dragging 2 bike boxes across Europe for the next 3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info! Who did you use for the bike rental do you mind me asking? Did they deliver to race site or did you have pick, setup bike etc?

The idea was to travel to the south island at the end of the trip but with a bike in tow could be a pain...
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC - Taupo - When are you going? [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never used tribike transport before, but I'm going to this time. Looks like it's $700 from Houston and it'll be worth it to just hand them the bike after the race and then go tour New Zealand for a week and not worry about it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next