Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 Texas...looks to be good to go?
Quote | Reply
I quickly scanned through the recent executive order released by Gov. Abbott and it appears that 70.3 Texas should be good to go unless I missed something? Obviously, given that hospitalizations remain under a certain threshold. I didnā€™t see anything specific to outdoor gatherings, though. But maybe I missed it.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas...looks to be good to go? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
City of Galveston wanted to make it happen last November, so definitely it's happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks to be that way. I know it's a different county, but the Woodlands marathon is happening tomorrow. It's all setup with an expo and everything. It's county by county, but it doesn't look like anything will stop events from happening in Texas, absent a large increase in hospitalizations, etc.
Last edited by: RangersBouncy: Mar 5, 21 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really loved that race in 2019. Had a great overall experience in spite of the micro burst that brought very extreme weather ultimately pulling most athletes off the course (I was a lucky one who did finish). Hope the weather cooperates this year! And hope everyone stays safe. I am not brave enough to race until I'm fully vaccinated.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas...looks to be good to go? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same... I'm registered for this based on a deferral last year. I'm not going. I haven't swam in 11 months and figured it was 50/50 to even happen so I've been focused on my next race in June. Was selfishly hoping for another deferral but happy for everyone who can make it, a successful race would be helpful for other races moving forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of municipalities, businesses and local government officials are highly critical of the orders that Abbot reversed. If there is a spike in cases following the "mask removal" next Wednesday, then I can still see officials in Galveston pulling the race regardless. I would put the chances at one in three that the race goes ahead.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas...looks to be good to go? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
A lot of municipalities, businesses and local government officials are highly critical of the orders that Abbot reversed. If there is a spike in cases following the "mask removal" next Wednesday, then I can still see officials in Galveston pulling the race regardless. I would put the chances at one in three that the race goes ahead.

There will be a spike in cases. Unavoidable. Part of reopening, which is not optional. Presumably many of those who would have been hospitalized have been vaccinated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Callin' wrote:

There will be a spike in cases. Unavoidable. Part of reopening, which is not optional. Presumably many of those who would have been hospitalized have been vaccinated.

I agree. But if the cases starting increasing like wildfire and there's even a slight strain on the hospitals in galveston, then you run the risk of the city pulling any medical support (justifiably) from Texas 70.3. I hope this race goes on, as I am registered. But I also wish Abbot would have waited another couple of months before opening everything back up

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its been about a year too long already šŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I disagree with you there. But in any case I hope we can all race safely and successfully in April.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:

Without question. Looking forward to getting back to racing and checking out the city of Galveston and what looks to be a very, VERY fast course! Fingers crossed, all things are pointing towards what should be a great race!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas...looks to be good to go? [treknv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treknv wrote:
triguy86 wrote:

Without question. Looking forward to getting back to racing and checking out the city of Galveston and what looks to be a very, VERY fast course! Fingers crossed, all things are pointing towards what should be a great race!

Iā€™m excited also. Even though I somehow managed a 3 month Achilles injury in December. Not training for anything. Just a regular 6 mile run. Will probably just swim/bike Galveston and pull the pin. Focus on Memphis in October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m registered for IMTX in late April and really hoping both races go forward but the governor didnā€™t do us any favors.

https://www.usnews.com/...fluence-virus-spread
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas...looks to be good to go? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Itā€™s beyond me how anyone can be negative about reopening. Really bizarre. Kudos to Abbott.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Itā€™s beyond me how anyone can be negative about reopening. Really bizarre. Kudos to Abbott.

Since we're on the verge of getting a global pandemic under control by early summer, I'd say there's a lot of room to criticize premature reopening before vaccinations have been administrated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Right? I've become convinced the biggest fear of some of those criticizing the opening is that it won't result in massive infection and death. Because then their hysterics won't be justified.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Mar 7, 21 8:05
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas...looks to be good to go? [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
triguy86 wrote:

Since we're on the verge of getting a global pandemic under control by early summer, I'd say there's a lot of room to criticize premature reopening before vaccinations have been administrated.

ā€œBefore vaccinations have been administeredā€. Where have you been since December? Weā€™ve been vaccinating lol.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas...looks to be good to go? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If thereā€™s hospital capacity (which there is), thereā€™s ZERO reason not to reopen. Restrictions were never intended to lower case numbers or hospitalizations. The only reason to have restrictions is so that WHEN you or I get infected, the medical system has the capacity to handle it. Itā€™s clear that not many people understand the rationale behind covid restrictions (if there is any rationale).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those goalposts got memory holed a long time ago.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
If thereā€™s hospital capacity (which there is), thereā€™s ZERO reason not to reopen. Restrictions were never intended to lower case numbers or hospitalizations. The only reason to have restrictions is so that WHEN you or I get infected, the medical system has the capacity to handle it. Itā€™s clear that not many people understand the rationale behind covid restrictions (if there is any rationale).

Believe what you want man. But there are others that believe we should be listening to the science and data behind waiting another couple of months. You could at least respect their opinion even if you disagree, if thatā€™s not asking too much these days

Last edited by: Callin': Mar 7, 21 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. Everyone doesnā€™t have to agree. So why shouldnā€™t they respect the decision to reopen? Thereā€™s a mountain of science supporting that. Has been for months and months now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
triguy86 wrote:

Believe what you want man. But there are others that believe we should be listening to the science and data behind waiting another couple of months. You could at least respect their opinion even if you disagree, if thatā€™s not asking too much these days

The "science" has show that even with the strictest lockdowns, the virus still virused. In fact it was worse in those states when you compared it to states that were open or semi-open.

So, there's the thing, Personal Responsibility. If you don't want to race, don't. There is no data to support not having a race given the additional precautions IM has instated for their events.

When it comes to hospitals, most have returned to normal capacity, well not normal since we're still doing reduced capacity. But surge capacity has been collapsed. So yeas, ICUs are at 80% capacity in most places, but that's normal. That's not "bad". ICUs and EDs are very expensive to run and require a lot of staffing. That's why capacity is often so high.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Mar 7, 21 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas...looks to be good to go? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am ready to race mentally and potentially physically as I will find out in April.

I think social isolation has a very high cost and one that should be discussed a lot more.

Lets get out and race as I need it and I think you do to.

Oh and please stop saying "science says" or "follow the science" it is just not right.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas...looks to be good to go? [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, itā€™s just not right to listen to people with PHDs in pathology and spend a lifetime researching infectious diseases. letā€™s trust what some guy on the internet says instead.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I was not meaning to make the point you seem to think I was making.

My issue is the use of the word science in the ways people are today. Science in itself does not say anything.
Quote Reply

Prev Next