Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 Texas: predictions
Quote | Reply
OK everyone - our first race in a while! looks like a fairly solid field, especially on the men's draw. so, what have you got?

men: i'm a sentimental sort and i've really liked lionel's form lately, so here i go.
-sanders
-hanson
-kanute

my feeling is that ditlev will once again bike himself inside out and then the longer run will punish him and reward guys like hanson. i like magnus but feel like he's still pretty rough around the edges. lionel knows this course well, holds the record, and has been on form. ditto kanute. spoilers include appleton, laundry, aernouts, and probably a few others - it's such an odd time that it feels hard to make many predictions.

women:
-i just don't know the women's field a fraction as well as i know the men's. trirating has it as metzler/crowley/moench, which seems fair, though i might wonder if heather jackson could spoil by holding strong later in the race. i also like jackie hering for this one, maybe for a podium - haven't seen a ton of her lately but but she's probably the class runner in the field.

thoughts?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe Skipper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s really tough to believe anything other than LS will walk with it. I guess perhaps pack dynamics on the bike can create a little randomness ... like if MH can work with others to get off the bike within spitting distance of Lionel. Is there any coverage, even a live blog or something?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second this. He seems pretty damn fit and he’s pissed after his last race. Best bike/run in the game right now.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Is there any coverage, even a live blog or something?

i think the closest we can get is the athlete tracker through the ironman app.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Is there any coverage, even a live blog or something?

i think the closest we can get is the athlete tracker through the ironman app.

I’ll be there getting video & pics and putting updates on IG/FB as best possible. Hopefully will have decent access around the course to get some good stuff.

Excited to see both the pro men & women back at it. Solid field on both sides. Should be a good one!

Yeah, Lionel will be the hunted. Skipper has a couple of DNFs in his recent races but his training looks like it’s been on point. Wondering if Sam is going to go for this one or use it as a tune up for his bigger upcoming races. The fun about racing is you never really know until it plays out on race day.

Team Saunders on YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [TSTriATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TSTriATX wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

Wondering if Sam is going to go for this one or use it as a tune up for his bigger upcoming races. The fun about racing is you never really know until it plays out on race day.

he said on IG earlier that "its rumored i'm going into this race really fatigued" or something like that, and called it a "C" race.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
TSTriATX wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

Wondering if Sam is going to go for this one or use it as a tune up for his bigger upcoming races. The fun about racing is you never really know until it plays out on race day.

he said on IG earlier that "its rumored i'm going into this race really fatigued" or something like that, and called it a "C" race.

...or gamesmanship? 😉

Team Saunders on YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the women's podium - I'm picking Jackie Hering, Jeanni Metzler (nee Seymour), and Heather Jackson. Jackie has a hell of a run and just got a podium in Miami. Jeanni, who is already a strong runner, has been training with an ITU squad recently will be up there as well. Lauren Brandon, Dede and maybe Rachel Olson will lead out of the water and then get hunted down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My picks:

F: Jeanni Metzler
M: Sam Long (with a course record to boot)

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
OK everyone - our first race in a while! looks like a fairly solid field, especially on the men's draw. so, what have you got?

men: i'm a sentimental sort and i've really liked lionel's form lately, so here i go.
-sanders
-hanson
-kanute

my feeling is that ditlev will once again bike himself inside out and then the longer run will punish him and reward guys like hanson. i like magnus but feel like he's still pretty rough around the edges. lionel knows this course well, holds the record, and has been on form. ditto kanute. spoilers include appleton, laundry, aernouts, and probably a few others - it's such an odd time that it feels hard to make many predictions.

women:
-i just don't know the women's field a fraction as well as i know the men's. trirating has it as metzler/crowley/moench, which seems fair, though i might wonder if heather jackson could spoil by holding strong later in the race. i also like jackie hering for this one, maybe for a podium - haven't seen a ton of her lately but but she's probably the class runner in the field.

thoughts?

Feels like a dumb question already (better watch out for the snark from some quick fingers on ST!) but how can I view what pros are registered for an Ironman race? I am doing 70.3 Gulf Coast next month and would love to see if there is a pro field, and also what my bib number is!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tedtri wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

-sanders
-hanson
-kanute

women:

thoughts?

Feels like a dumb question already (better watch out for the snark from some quick fingers on ST!) but how can I view what pros are registered for an Ironman race? I am doing 70.3 Gulf Coast next month and would love to see if there is a pro field, and also what my bib number is!

Literally just google "ironman pro startlist", and it is the first link ;)

https://www.ironman.com/pro-athletes
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no snark here - they're often needlessly hard to find. i got mine from trirating, though I've heard that sometimes his start lists are out of date ...

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [TSTriATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully! I bet both Talbot and Kenny will be there for making videos for Lionel and Sam, so they typically do a good job running around on their instagram accounts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:

what a cop out.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
I second this. He seems pretty damn fit and he’s pissed after his last race. Best bike/run in the game right now.

I think there is a long and lean German triathlete who most recently was smiling and talking to photographers cruising to a win while LS turned himself inside out behind that would probably disagree with you on that point.

ETA - Unless you intended "game" to mean the Texas 70.3 field.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Last edited by: flynnzu: Apr 8, 21 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

what a cop out.

Sounds like he's setting groundwork for finishing off the podium with that comment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see anyone touching Lionel in this race. I am excited to see who's battling it out behind him or bunched together out of T2.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

what a cop out.

He was being sarcastic and shit-talking. Basically saying all the people who think he's over-trained will be proven wrong and he plans on doing well even though it is not a top priority race. He's not trying to lower expectations, he's trying to raise them.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

what a cop out.

He was being sarcastic and shit-talking. Basically saying all the people who think he's over-trained will be proven wrong and he plans on doing well even though it is not a top priority race. He's not trying to lower expectations, he's trying to raise them.

i get that he's trying to be coy, but it doesn't play that well for me personally. ultimately he will let his fitness do the talking.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Sam Long has got some harsh judges here on Slowtwitch.

At the risk of falling victim of the availability bias after watching his videos, I'm making Sam the dark horse of this race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM4pP5AFgSM

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Sounds like Sam Long has got some harsh judges here on Slowtwitch.

At the risk of falling victim of the availability bias after watching his videos, I'm making Sam the dark horse of this race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM4pP5AFgSM

I would agree. I don't think that Sam can beat Lionel, but I would certainly consider him a strong contender and wouldn't be surprised to see him get a podium spot. The wildcard in this is whether he is really considering this an A race. Someone above said that he is not, but from what I have seen of his videos and Strava training, it would seem like he is quite focused on the race. I believe that he is also doing Tulsa and that in fact may be a higher priority, but I don't think that Sam is going to Galveston for a training event (that's not his style anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Sam Long gets a lot of love on Slowtwitch. He has proved himself as a legitimate threat for a podium spot and he adds a bit of spice to the overall tri scene.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Texas: predictions [Longrunhome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continuing, unless Skipper injured of late (he quit posting YouTube’s recently) then his Dubai training makes him tough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be interested to see where Sanders will be at the end of the bike. At Daytona and Miami he didn't seem to gain much on the leaders during the bike. He made most of his time up on the run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next