Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Raleigh Run Course
Quote | Reply
Changed again, that’s too bad I liked running in the city steets and seeing the misery. Can’t say I didn’t have my low points there.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll have to go check out the new course. I figured it would eventually change because Hillsborough Street gets closed all of the time for events.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every year I’ve done it (the last three I think?) I saw absolute carnage on that run course. Deceptively difficult and blisteringly hot. I’ll miss it.

Quote | Reply
This course makes no sense. It doubles back on itself 4 or 5 times. Good luck to all trying to run it.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first year run course was awesome but I guess enough people complained and that led to the Hillsborough Street double loop.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know the area that well but I did the race the last 2 years and absolutely love that run course. Hot and deceptively hard. I have very fond memories of this race/course. Sucks to see the course change.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should have changed the bike leg to not go into downtown and instead somehow end up with the run on the Tobacco trail. I know you want a "grand" finish line in a city or something, but those loops seem horrible. What fun, just make the bike leg into a 20 lap Crit course! Imagine the carnage then!

Anyone who has done that course, is the wind that time of year like it almost always is? From the southwest? If so, that has to be a hella fast bike leg for having some rolling hills. Because going from Jordan lake to the east and then North is pretty ideal. You almost never get a wind from the northeast around here.

Anytime I ride that generic direction around Raleigh on the road bike, I'm seeing some pretty fast speeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 i had two flats on the bike course last year (my fault) resulting in a prolonged fistfight with my bike which i lost, and then by the time i got to the run course it was 92 degrees (not my fault) and very sunny. it was a long and painful day and although i live in raleigh and can sleep in my own bed the night before, i'm going to pass on this one this year.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year was my first year racing here and while the run was deceivingly brutal I was
kind of looking forward to coming back and crushing it! Hot and humid as hell, but isn't
that to be expected in NC in June?

Also one turnaround was enough to make your headspin in that heat, the new
map seems a little excessive with all the turnarounds and doubling back.
Still looking forward to cutting some major time off this year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow. That run course hurts my head just trying to figure it out. I didn't have a problem with the last run course. I actually liked the fact that if you could make it to mile 10 the last three miles were downhill. It's always been those last three for me that hurts the worst.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
This course makes no sense. It doubles back on itself 4 or 5 times. Good luck to all trying to run it.

Not only does it double back, it appears to cross it's own traffic several times. It looks like a complete shit show. Apparently there is some construction that forced them to change the course but instead of just giving it to us straight - "sorry guys, we had to change the run course to accomodate construction. We realize it isn't ideal but was the best we can manage", they are trying to sell this as some great new improvement. They are touting the "flat and shaded" aspect. Nothing like catering to the lowest common denominator.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Mar 7, 18 8:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a 4x Raleigh 70.3 finisher, this run course makes me sad. The double loop on Hillsborough was a great course. The run course the 1st year (2013) was just brutal, but the Hillsborough Street double loop was a great compromise. This new run course looks terrible on paper. I was going to do Raleigh again this year after skipping last year (the only time I haven't done the race), but with this new run course, it wont be the same race. I was OK with them changing the bike course, but I'm not going to race this year either.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can confirm that there is construction impacting the course. I was running down Hillsborough recently and it’s always under construction.

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I can confirm that there is construction impacting the course. I was running down Hillsborough recently and it’s always under construction.

I second this. Hillsborough is a f'n mess right now and has been for quite some time. Based on how fast they get road construction projects done around here (looking at you I-40 widening project), I would cross your fingers that they get it done in time for 2019 race.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's always under construction. Even when I was in college, it was never ending construction. Every time I think they have figured out what they want to do with that road, they tear it up and try something new.

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryan, how wide is the Rocky Branch Trail? Is the second lap going to be overly cluttered?
Last edited by: mike s: Mar 7, 18 17:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is your standard 6-8’ greenway path. It is shady nearly all day but is narrow
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here it is for anyone who doesn't want to dig. . .

As you can see, quite heinous. I count 6 places it doubles back. I think the only scenic spot will be on Western where you will get a nice view of the skyline.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This race cant seem to get out of it's own way at this point. 1st it's beyond me that this is a 1st weekend of June time frame race. This race would be a top 3 70.3 event if it was 2nd weekend of May. But June just is a bit too hot for people out on the course past about 1:30pm. I think it's a very fair/honest race overall, I just think it's stupidly hot in June here in Raleigh.

I get they had to alter the course because of construction, so this is probaly the best of a bad situation....but man ole man this has the feel for the final nail in the coffin.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have to agree the final nail is starting. Hillsborough is not that much different than last year as far as construction goes. It certainly could be run on.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a pretty well established fact that IM 140.6 contracts are for 5 years and IM 70.3 contracts are for 3 years. This would be year 6, so the final year of the 2nd contract. Has anyone searched City of Raleigh meeting minutes for discussion of a renewal or looked to see if the race is on the city calendar for 2019?

ETA: On the City of Raleigh calendar for Festivals, Road Races, etc. I can find this years 70.3 and Rock N Roll Marathon for April 7, 2019 but nothing beyond that.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Mar 8, 18 12:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should we be concerned they haven't updated the athlete's guide up to this point? Less than 18 days until race day on a course that's somewhat logistically challenging, especially if you don't know the area.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Raleigh Run Course [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This years guide should be pretty much the same, just pay attention to the event schedule with not being from the area or doing the race prior. On paper it all makes your head spin but pretty smooth once you check in your bike. If you’ve done a IM branded race you’re good, you really don’t need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just hoping that Ironman hasn't already stepped one foot out the door on this race since this will be the last one.
Quote Reply