That's pretty quick.
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
the swim time - is that at all normal? was there a current?

Swim course here:

http://www.triangle.cc/...32&MicroSiteID=5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool looking course...primarily that last part in the channel.

Quote | Reply
He missed the record by 90 seconds last year and shattered it this year! He said he was going for the record and it looks like the weather cooperated. Crazy fast splits in all three events.
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
Cool looking course...primarily that last part in the channel.

The last 800m in the canal is amazing and sets it apart from other swim courses. Spectators are lined on either side and on footbridges overhead. Plus the lake is just beautiful - no doubt the nicest swim course I've ever done.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [mikedonia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weiss goes 7:57 and is two miles behind Mario at the end!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really, really quick.
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [mikedonia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to talk about just swim it's at least 2 minutes short - I've done Austria and I know very well what 3rd guy out of water capable of
yes, 800m with the current makes it 48 instead of 50, but 46 is too much
as they do that on the swim for the record now there is doubts about rest of the curse... what was this talk about certified curses

Hare Krishna
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how 'bout a 2:39 marathon - that's sick!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Chrissie Wellington would have broken 8 hours had she raced that course today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F'n ridiculous, an incredible performance and done true triathlon style pretty much solo the whole race.
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [howardjd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
while it s a amazing performance by one amazing athlete... it would be great for the credibility of the sport that they mesure this course in the same way as we do in north america....

times might get slower by 20min but........

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a euro is worth $1.5 usd.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the difference in measurement?

-------------------------------

“He is happy whose circumstances suit his temper but he is more excellent who can suit his temper to any circumstances” David Hume
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [the-dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a sarcastic comment, in europe, there is a lot of very fast races....but when those athlete come to north america, they cant come within 30minutes of there performance in europe....... This 7:45 performance by marino is a 8:10 at ironman CDA......solid....but it s not world record performance......

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you think they slow down in North America?

“He is happy whose circumstances suit his temper but he is more excellent who can suit his temper to any circumstances” David Hume
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo - have you or other athletes noted discrepancies from GPS or bike computers as well?

is it possible that higher average talent at european races leads to faster racing, tactically?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, even hawaii dosnt give those fast times.

From many pro i have talk with.....those euro course are short by miles..... this is coming from people that have won those races. Anyway, it s a great performance.... but take the time with a grain of salt..... add 20-25minutes to marino times and you get a idea of his level of performance in a north america course......

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a euro is worth $1.5 usd.

LOL. And they bought their meter stick on sale at Aldi.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on this one jonnyo. I'm not saying this time was completely impossible, but I'd like to see some Garmin files to back up that these distances were spot on.

And to the point that better competition leads to faster racing -- this Ironman wasn't particularly competitive. 30+ min spread from 1st - 5th.

------------------------------------
http://ebrownracing.com | http://twitter.com/EzEBreezy
------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [EBrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced IM Austria last year. Why is it "fast" IMHO.
1. Bike course is 2 miles short, and really well paved.
2. Run was hot last year but even in the heat, it had a lot of shade. This year with the cool temps PLUS shade, it was zooming.
3. Run is flat.
4. Swim....who knows the distance but I swam my 1:07 with ZERO effort. I expected to come out way slower. I would say that the swimmer - generated "current" in that canal has to help a bit.
5. The energy of the place is out of this world. It was just a great vibe. Good vibe=good thoughts= fast times???? who knows.
Last edited by: Jeff Spicoli: Jul 3, 11 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: 7:45:58 [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
no, even hawaii dosnt give those fast times.

... add 20-25minutes to marino times and you get a idea of his level of performance in a north america course......

Well that now is by far exaggerated. As far as the really reliable rumors go, IM AUT is - due to the currend - ~100m short on the swim, about 2-3k short on the bike and about 1k short on the run. That would make it +10min but nowhere near the 20-25min.

By way of comparison: Second tier pros like James Cunnama (sorry James you not yet right up there) who had a hard time beating Chrissie W. in Roth last year went 8:14h @ IM FL last year. Mario - third in Kona last year - is surely worth 10-15min on Cunnama.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
IThis 7:45 performance by marino is a 8:10 at ironman CDA......solid....but it s not world record performance......

The bike seems about 2 miles short in Austria. Swim maybe a bit short but it's hard to tell. I swam 56 there which is what I would expect in a Lake with no wind and no current. The transition area is right at the swim exit so T times should be very fast. So if you add the time for the bike and maybe a minute or two for the swim it is still a very quick time. I would "guess" that if the distances were accurate then Marino goes 7:52. Still an amazing performance by a great athlete.

The world IM record means nothing as courses vary so much in difficulty and distances are seldom accurate.
Quote Reply

Prev Next