Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

650vs.700 and fit
Quote | Reply
How is, or is wheel size a function of bike fit, if I can achieve the same frontal position on both a 650c and 700c bike(the 700c bike has a short head tube). I ask because at 5'7", it seems from what I've read, that a bike with 650c wheels would work best. But for some darn reason, probably my rebellious side, wants to go with 700c wheel bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 650vs.700 and fit [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About wheel size, I was on a website the other day (I think it was www.nimble.net) and it was saying head on, with the headtube and other info in line, that a 650 wheel creates about five percent less drag. Not a big deal for amatures, but enough for most pros to go with that. Also, 650 wheels corner better and catch less crosswind. I'm 5'8" and I have a 700c bike, while it seems to be better for longer rides, a 650 would probably be faster. But, that's just my opinion.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are other reasons than rebellion for a 5'7" person to eschew 650c for 700c. stubbornness for example. or a lack of ability to think past what the crowd advocates. fear of making a mistake. fear of looking silly. arrogance. the inability to parse and analyze a reasoned argument. or a person might just be flat-out dumb.

on the plus side, rebellion is probably the least egregious of all on that list.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 650vs.700 and fit [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I've got another pretty good reason- 5 700c wheelsets in the garage...
MH

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 650vs.700 and fit [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are kidding, right.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 650vs.700 and fit [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm sort of kidding in the way i present the case. but i'm sort of not in the case itself.

if i ran a bike shop i can't imagine EVER recommending a bike with dual 700c wheels to a triathlete who wants to ride with an aggressive aero position. if you want to ride a 700c rear, well, okay, but i can't imagine a 700c front. no way. shouldn't be done.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 650vs.700 and fit [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[i]5 700c wheelsets in the garage[/i]

ebay

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tell customers "You no more have a choice between 650c and 700c than you have a choice in running shoes between size 9 and size 12. One will work for what you are doing, one will not- simple". People are very confused over why a bike may need 650c wheels or 700c wheels for a given fit and application. It is a fit/application issue as Dan and Gerard have both pointed out in different ways. Dan talked about posting a new article on 650c/700c and their respective roles. I look forward to that. Sometimes it is a difficult concept to verbalize.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply