Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

650 wheels on a 700 frame
Quote | Reply
What would be the problems i would run into using 650 wheels on a 700 size frame? I know that the rear wheel won't line up with the brake mount, but that i can get to work. Would the BB and pedals be to low to the ground becuase of the difference in wheel height? Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: 650 wheels on a 700 frame [trimark0769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why on earth would you want to do that?!

Brakes won't work, gear ratios messed up, looks wierd...
Quote Reply
Re: 650 wheels on a 700 frame [williamuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Brakes won't work, unless you got a 650 fork, then you would have front brakes, but that would cause other more serious problems.

2. You would probably scrape the pedals on the road cuz you would be about 1.5 inches lower.

3. Everyone would laugh at you.

4. Your wife/girlfriend would probably leave you.

5. Afterwards, you will have to change you name and move to another state and forget about doing any national events.

6. It is a crime against cycling.

jaretj

(This message sent with 100% recycled kilobytes!)
Quote Reply
Re: 650 wheels on a 700 frame [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way man...that is a real "Frankenbike"...fun fun fun...try some 20" wheels and a BMX fork with some modified plumbing pipe to chop out the front end about 36".

I also had a bike with an out board wheel and it ran on steel rims...on railroad tracks....(third wheel sat on the opposing track)

There is the poor mans tandem...spread out the fork on a bike and bolt it to the rear of another....(this I have proven can work with at least 6 bikes and buddies)

Any other bike genius' like me out there? What am I missing? I know there is more fun to be had.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: 650 wheels on a 700 frame [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once looked at building up a 700c wheel cyclo-cross bike with mechanical disc brakes. The fork and seat/chain stays were going to be wide enough to accept a 26"x 2.25" mtb tire, in case I wanted to do something gnarly. Disc brakes allow an immediate wheel swap with no alignment problems.

Mostly ultegra STI with xtr mechs was the plan. Ultimately, it was going to cost waaaaay to much for another ridiculous toy. I'd still like to do it tho'.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: 650 wheels on a 700 frame [trimark0769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like the others not sure why you would want to do this however I use 650 wheels with Contintental Competition tubulars on my mountain bike which I use to commute to work. This gives a fast ride and the difference in wheel diameter is trivial - brake problems are non existant since I use disk brakes on this bike. My Principia TT2 tri bike has 700 wheels and goes well!
Quote Reply