Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

650 aero road bike
Quote | Reply
OK, need some help. My wife is turning 70 and wants a new aero road bike to replace her 650 Calfee which is 20years old. Still solid but you know . She is 60 ‘’ tall weighs 103 and is very fast. Half French and half Italian , excellent climber. 1,2 or 3 USAT as a 65 year old. The problem is the word “ aero “ . The new Cannondale made something like that a must have. Can I take something like her 2015 650 Cervelo P3 and make a road bike ? Any other bikes I have not found ? Zero at this point. Appreciate any ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: 650 aero road bike [cttrimd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are some other 650C tri bikes out there. The problem is the geometry will lead to lazy handling. Personally I don’t think that’s a problem in a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cttrimd wrote:
Can I take something like her 2015 650 Cervelo P3 and make a road bike ?

General answer:
Absolutely, yes

More specific answer:
It depends. If her P3 was on the small side as a tri bike for her body dimensions, then it will be harder and you will have to use too many spacers under the stem. But if her P3 was a bit on the bigger side for her body, then it likely will work perfectly. I have tried several tri bikes as aero road bikes, I had no handling issues at all, they actually worked great. And other athletes have too. If you want more info and photos, we have a short write up about some of the reasons why some riders (usually triathletes) do this, and also a link to a fb photo album of similar set ups, i.e., other tri bikes set up as road bikes. Link below (fb photo album link is toward the bottom of the web page):

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-whatbike.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 6, 18 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: 650 aero road bike [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks . That is a great start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The front ends of the older 48cm and newer 45cm 650C P2 and P3 are very roadbike-ish. If they fit they would make a good road bike.

I can't say that for the 700C P2-3 line up as I don't know.

Another 650C carbon tri frame that works well as a road bike is the XS Planet X Stealth Pro
Quote Reply