Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

650C vs. 700C size tires for iron distance events?
Quote | Reply
pro's and con's for either size? What's your preference?
Quote Reply
Re: 650C vs. 700C size tires for iron distance events? [xcjunkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion and from my experience there is a tremendous amount of misinformation regarding the topic of wheel size.

A couple notes:

1. 650c wheels seemed to have begun with a necessity to facilitate smaller overall frame dimensions, commensurate with smaller overall rider dimensions.

2. A significant amount of discussion has surrounded the aerodynamics and rolling resistance characteristics of 650c vs. 700c. In general, the information I have been exposed to indicates the only "performance advantage" surrounding the use of 650c vs. 700c is that the wheels are often lighter, since they are physically smaller, and they may be built stiffer. There was a brief trend where bicycle racers had some bikes made with 650c wheels to use in mountain stages and in the mountainous World Championship road race in Colombia some years ago. That trend seems to have expired. Notable riders who ascribed to this 650c doctrine included Laurent Jalabert, among others.

3. There is a stigma associated with 650c wheels that they are "slower". The reality is that, like the difference between a size 8 shoe and a size 10 shoe, neither one is "faster" or "slower". It is simply a matter of the size of the wheels being proportionate to the other dimensional aspects of the bike fit, i.e., the rider's dimensions, the necessary frame dimensions.

4. Some people are stuck with riding 650c's, just as they may be stuck with wearing a size 6 shoe. Some people (myself included) seem to be "on the fence" and can use geometries that include both wheel sizes. Larger riders have no necessity for 650c wheels.

5. The industry went through a period of not understanding the role of wheel size. There seemed to be the impression that "triathlon bikes had 650c wheels". Consequently, there were manufacturers selling 61cm frames with 650c wheels. I would go so far as to say this is wrong. A frame that large should have, in almost every case, 700c wheels.

6. The necessary gearing adjustments, i.e.- larger gears, need to be used on most 650c bikes to acheive "gear parody" with 700c. This may be where the myth of 650c's "not being as fast" as 700c's comes from.

7. There sre still less wheels choices in the 650c size than there are in the 700c size. Less tire choices too.

8. The assertion that the bicycle industry has "gone away from" 650c wheels is not entirely accurate. What may be more accurate is that the industry is gaining an understanding of what the appropriate use of a reduced diameter wheel is (fitting the rider correctly). Additionally, there are economic and supply incentives for the industry to come as close as possible to "standardizing" wheels size.

9. A significant degree of misunderstanding remains surrounding wheel size. Given the amount of spurious information over the past 15 years on the topic- this is understandable.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: 650C vs. 700C size tires for iron distance events? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen Tom - its all 'bout the fit - - and that was great info I was not aware of.

I can go with either size also - but hate "toe-clip overhang" and just don't like how the bigger wheels look on the tri frames I've considered. But maybe you can convince me otherwise for a bike for next year.

I would be interested to see what the buzz on the subject is at Interbike.
Quote Reply
Re: 650C vs. 700C size tires for iron distance events? [xcjunkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info. Thanks for taking the time to respond with that wealth of feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, i'm 6ft, 160 and i ride a 650. why? cause i liked a particular cannondale and i ride a 56 frame and it came with 650 wheels. this was 5 years ago. i still ride that bike exclusively and have thru 3 im's including placid this year in 11:27. my old coach ( a perenial age group winner in masters division of im) is 6'3" and has both 650 and 700 bikes and swears on the 650.
Quote Reply