Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

61 P2/3/5 and ITU rules
Quote | Reply
The P2/3/5 in size 61 has a front centre of 658mm, and a BB drop of 75mm. If my Pythagoras understanding is right, that means that the horizontal distance between BB and front wheel axle is (658^2 - 75^2) ^ 0.5 = ~653.7mm.

The ITU rules say:
There will be no less than 54 cm and no more than 65 cm between a vertical line passing through the center of the chain wheel axle and a vertical line through the center of the front wheel axle.

Does that mean the size 61 is not legal, or am I misinterpreting / miscalculating something? It seems unlikely that Cervelo would have designed the geometry to be 3.7mm outside of the ITU rules...

It looks like USAT have an exception to this rule based on saddle height, to avoid catching tall athletes, but not BTF in the UK, as far as I can see.
Quote Reply
Re: 61 P2/3/5 and ITU rules [ruboid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check the ITU rules for language around anthropomorphogical exceptions?

Quote Reply
Re: 61 P2/3/5 and ITU rules [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Check the ITU rules for language around anthropomorphogical exceptions?

i don't see an ME in those rules. these rules are quite arcane, going back 30 and more years. in 1989 or thereabouts kestrel came out with the first geometric copy of our bikes, and the FC was 65.2cm or something. this was at interbike, and i informed them of the rules and they quickly pulled the documentation showing the geometry. no one was the wiser, i never said anything, publicly, just privately to kestrel that if they're going to copy my bikes make sure they do it with some care *(the FC on our largest size was 64.9cm, for this very reason).

for the last 30 years what i've basically seen from triathlon is that we're really really really really zone in on equality and fairness, but, specifically for women and the physically challenged. tall and short people can eff themselves. and because women are often short, one hand giveth fairness, the other hand taketh away. however, i will say that the ITU has done a pretty good job, in general, of accommodating women... in the racing it cares about, which is draft-legal.

is there an ME for short or tall people for no-draft bikes? i can't find it in the rules. maybe somebody else can. hard to imagine the UCI is actually more fair than the ITU. but if there is no ME, then...

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 61 P2/3/5 and ITU rules [ruboid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did ITU Cozumel in 2016 on a bike that had a front center of 53.9 cm.

Nobody bothered to measure anyone's bike as far as i know.
Quote Reply