Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

60mm vs 90mm Rear Wheel
Quote | Reply
Is it worth $300-$500 to upgrade my rear wheel from 60mm to 90mm?

Currently both my front and rear wheels are 60mm and I am looking to get a slightly deeper rear wheel. Is the extra 30mm worth the additional cost? I am not looking for a disc at this time and am a very average cyclist - my FTP has varied from 2.8-3.2 w/kg throughout the past 6 months.

However, if the difference is negligible and the added 30mm and $300-$500 won't really make a difference, I'd like to know. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: 60mm vs 90mm Rear Wheel [Xavier500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 60mm vs 90mm Rear Wheel [Xavier500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should totally read the above thread, but here's a more direct answer:

Quote:
Is it worth $300-$500 to upgrade my rear wheel from 60mm to 90mm?
No if you already own the 60mm. Best bike split is a great tool that will estimate yaw angles over your race distance/specific course needs. I would recommend setting up a free profile and changing the wheel depth on your bike to see what kind of time savings you get. Over 180km, best case (tons of crosswind) between a 60-90mm is likely <90 seconds.
Quote:
Currently both my front and rear wheels are 60mm and I am looking to get a slightly deeper rear wheel. Is the extra 30mm worth the additional cost? I am not looking for a disc at this time and am a very average cyclist - my FTP has varied from 2.8-3.2 w/kg throughout the past 6 months.
It doesn't matter how strong of cyclist you are for aero gains. Yes you're travelling slower, but you are also out on course significantly longer than the fastest athletes. Time savings are a function of aero wattage savings and your total time subjected to the wind. Even the lowest FTP athletes will benefit from a disc over a shallow rim.

If you want to save money, go for a full wheel cover (rim brake only), or faring disc (HED JET disc, or FLO) to save a ton of money for same performance as a solid carbon disc. Only downside is no whomp-whomp sound... :)
Quote Reply