Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

5 Weeks out from 70.3 Key bikes??
Quote | Reply
OK tried something new this year in training and based on a race yesterday my bike has definitely suffered as i could not hold power and could tell my bike fitness was not where it should be.

I have 5 weeks until my A race 70.3 and would like to do a bike focus to better my chances for a good race but i also dont want to train in fear and get myself in a fatigue hole to deep to climb out. I feel like my run fitness is pretty good and swim has improved as well so both are solid enough to probably put a little in just sharpening/maintenance mode. Last FTP test was in August at 207 and I struggled to hold 150 watts on the 45 mile bike segment albeit it was hot.

So what key bike workouts would you focus on over the next 5 weeks if you were me? I am thinking some longer 3.5hr-4 hr rides with a healthy dose of 70.3 and higher efforts sprinkled in would help but let me know what works for you.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 Weeks out from 70.3 Key bikes?? [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Realistically, you aren't going to improve much in 5wks. You're more likely to overtrain and fatigue yourself. Cramming doesn't work in long course...

A weekly longer ride and some sweet spot training (4x12min, 3x20min, etc.) would help. But this is really a longer term program that you should be following if you're serious about improving. 150W is super low unless you're like 50kg, so improvements should come fairly quick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:

So what key bike workouts would you focus on over the next 5 weeks if you were me? .

The first thing I would do is stop thinking there are such things as key workouts.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:
OK tried something new this year in training and based on a race yesterday my bike has definitely suffered as i could not hold power and could tell my bike fitness was not where it should be.

I have 5 weeks until my A race 70.3 and would like to do a bike focus to better my chances for a good race but i also dont want to train in fear and get myself in a fatigue hole to deep to climb out. I feel like my run fitness is pretty good and swim has improved as well so both are solid enough to probably put a little in just sharpening/maintenance mode. Last FTP test was in August at 207 and I struggled to hold 150 watts on the 45 mile bike segment albeit it was hot.

So what key bike workouts would you focus on over the next 5 weeks if you were me? I am thinking some longer 3.5hr-4 hr rides with a healthy dose of 70.3 and higher efforts sprinkled in would help but let me know what works for you.

You seem content with last year’s results before changing things

look at what you did last year and do the same
Quote Reply
Re: 5 Weeks out from 70.3 Key bikes?? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
150W is super low unless you're like 50kg, so improvements should come fairly quick

Or the OP could be in the 80-84 AG, "Low" is a matter of ones perspective, 150 watts could win your age group!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: 5 Weeks out from 70.3 Key bikes?? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes here you in the key workouts as I guess that was the wrong term as I gave up a long time ago trying to find the silver bullet in any workout.

What I am after is how to maximize the time I have left.

Maybe The best answer is shed the fatigue and get back to the plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:
What I am after is how to maximize the time I have left.

I answered that. There is no key workout. Get in as much as you can as often as you can and be smart about it

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply