Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
5 BC races cancelled
Quote | Reply
Here in BC it looks like all five of the races organized by Dynamic Race Events are cancelled. I was registered in two of these races and am feeling gutted. I was thinking they would actually happen this summer after last year's cancellations. However, the reasons they give make sense. Especially the inability to confirm insurance. It's disappointing, but I understand race organizers can't take open ended risks.

For anyone who's interested in the details, here's a link to the announcement they sent me.

It seems likely that covid won't be as big an issue by later in the summer, but it does look like other organizers here have similar issues. There are really only a handful of events listed on Tri BC's website happening anywhere in the province, and most of those are either really remote local events or they are currently suspended/ pending deferral/ otherwise in doubt.

I'm interested in any event recommendations in Washington State during the summer months (Oly/ 1/2 distance), as my race calendar is suddenly wide open. I'm assuming of course that the border opens eventually. Any favorites down there I should look at?
Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [Deedubya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, got my email today.

Based on Bonnie Henry's comments a couple days ago on international events, international travel, concerts, or gatherings over 50 people this summer, I'm not surprised at all, and am waiting for the ball to drop on IMC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deedubya wrote:
Here in BC it looks like all five of the races organized by Dynamic Race Events are cancelled. I was registered in two of these races and am feeling gutted. I was thinking they would actually happen this summer after last year's cancellations. However, the reasons they give make sense. Especially the inability to confirm insurance. It's disappointing, but I understand race organizers can't take open ended risks.

For anyone who's interested in the details, here's a link to the announcement they sent me.

It seems likely that covid won't be as big an issue by later in the summer, but it does look like other organizers here have similar issues. There are really only a handful of events listed on Tri BC's website happening anywhere in the province, and most of those are either really remote local events or they are currently suspended/ pending deferral/ otherwise in doubt.

I'm interested in any event recommendations in Washington State during the summer months (Oly/ 1/2 distance), as my race calendar is suddenly wide open. I'm assuming of course that the border opens eventually. Any favorites down there I should look at?

The race organizer has not listed an ā€˜inability to confirm insuranceā€™ among the reasons for cancelling the series.

However, they did say their is a lack of clarity around what additional specifics due to COVID may be required to acquire insurance and sanction each race. The forth bullet point in the post speaks to these reasons.

Also in this regard, TriBC and Triathlon Canada that we pay into for memberships seem to be twiddling their thumbs. Ironically, I received an ā€˜inviteā€™ from USA Triathlon earlier this week about its nationals. Whether that race happens is to be debated but at least a plan is in place.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
Yep, got my email today.

Based on Bonnie Henry's comments a couple days ago on international events, international travel, concerts, or gatherings over 50 people this summer, I'm not surprised at all, and am waiting for the ball to drop on IMC

I hadn't heard those comments on Summer gatherings. I'm thinking over whether to register for the Victoria 70.3 in July, as it seems to now be the only option for that distance. However it has a lot of overlap with the Saanich race 2 weeks later that was just cancelled. Same venue for swim, run and transition is in the same park. The Victoria 70.3 is traditionally the larger size event... maybe the Dynamic Race organizers are just being a little more realistic about what's possible this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here, I was able to source the specific question and answer that was referred to in the comments I'd read on the subject:

1:15:40 ish mark specifically

She mentions the difficulty in contact tracing and reducing continued transmission with larger groups, wondering how we can do "small safe gatherings" during the summer, as well as "hoping" that we can get back to a place where we were last fall, or hopefully getting to a point where we can have groups up to 50.

She also mentioned things like "large festivals that bring people from multiple places" in addition to her comments on international travel etc. will not be happening.

Things can change, in either direction.
Last edited by: dfquigley: Mar 20, 21 2:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
our numbers are increasing in BC again. Yesterday, there were 700+ new cases.

I know they are very concerned about the variants too as they are increasing in numbers.

Right now I'm almost certain IMC doesn't happen, unless we get our numbers down substantially.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the odds this race is happening?

https://www.thevictoriahalf.com

That's the indie elk/beaver lake race. Would love another hoodie!
Last edited by: Dilbert: Mar 20, 21 18:38
Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [triguy1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly Iā€™d be shocked if it does happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMC won't happen on August 29, 99.9% certainty. 3 weeks later might be enough 2nd doses in arms to go ahead... that's probably wishful on my part.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not a terrible option, weather still good, water still warm. gives me another 3 weeks to train lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in the Okanagan and have two athletes I coach (Washington state) who were signed up. As much as I wanted Penticton to be their first race - really glad they optioned out to IM Indiana so that they have something a little more likely. But then again - who knows these days.

NOTHING quite like racing in Penticton - St George comes close-ish...but Penticton is raucous...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much on the BC calendar for sure. The sprint race in Qualicum says it's in the planning stage. They could put together a proposal because it's a city event, and you can space things well there (pool, transition - lots of room). Would be under the city/parks and rec liability insurance.

Dynamic being a private company is a different deal for sure. Too bad cause Westwood was a good season opener - swim in the 50's (DegF) the sawtooth bike coming off winter hibernation (omg), and surviving a run :(.
Came prepared with new gearing to slay it 2019 but hit a rock & blew a front tube. So still haven't avenged that one!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would this thought process also apply to IMMT? (And yes, I know itā€™s on the other side of the country šŸ˜)
Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [airhol2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different province, different health authority. Your challenge is the border being open for leisure travel.

Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a few race organizing companies baser in Alberta that also run events in BC. If those get canceled before the Alberta ones that's a strong indicator that BC won't have anything.

Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [airhol2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMMT has a timing problem. If there are still infection waves happening, any exposure happening at that race and spreading across the province will hit the schools when they go back a week or two later.

But for now it looks like most other events are going ahead in Quebec, so it will probably happen in some form.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am here in WA state. I do more running than triathlon, and only short course, so not sure how much use this will be.

Tri groups in the Seattle area I know about:
1.) Raise the Bar events - website down, no updates on FB since July 2020. Not a good sign.
2.) Fizz Events runs the Seafair Triathlon. They have been successfully running road races since November 2020 in the Seattle area, but mostly (entirely?) outside of Seattle. Seafair Tri is traditionally IN Seattle which is problematic. I wouldn't put it past Fizz to figure out a way to hold this event but we'll see.
3.) BuDu Racing - Budu is going ahead with the Mt. Rainier duathlon on 4/25/21. I just did a 5K they were involved with organizing, and it went very well. I expect the duathlon will also, though that's obviously more complicated. They have the Bonney Lake Sprint Triathlon and Lake Stevens Sprint Triathlon on the calendar for '21 in August.

Washington has had rules permitting road races since last October. Last I checked, you could start up to 30 people at a time, separated by at least a minute, and up to 600 people per day. That actually may have loosened up further recently. It used to be 300 people a day. It wouldn't surprise me, if things go well, i they allowed up to 1200 people per day. However, I expect they will continue to require to require staggered starts. I see no reason that people can't hold small triathlons around here. It seems like Ironman races typically have a lot more entrants than 600. If I had to guess, I would guess that Ironman Washington will be canceled for this reason. They could absolutely work with the local authorities and hold it on a reduced scale, but they probably won't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
Here, I was able to source the specific question and answer that was referred to in the comments I'd read on the subject:

1:15:40 ish mark specifically

She mentions the difficulty in contact tracing and reducing continued transmission with larger groups, wondering how we can do "small safe gatherings" during the summer, as well as "hoping" that we can get back to a place where we were last fall, or hopefully getting to a point where we can have groups up to 50.

She also mentioned things like "large festivals that bring people from multiple places" in addition to her comments on international travel etc. will not be happening.

Things can change, in either direction.

Hey, thanks for digging this up. That definitely helps clarify things. Personally, I agree that it seems unlikely that the Victoria Half happens as planned. For me, I don't want to register for that race and end up with a deferral to 2022, as I've already got a very busy 2022 with the other deferrals I have. If things improve, I could make a game day decision and register at the last minute I guess, but it seems unlikely that this will happen (or that the event won't be sold out if it goes ahead because everything else is cancelled).

The 1/2 marathon Whistler is scheduled for Oct 8th and that seems like a good bet to actually happen. With the longer season for outdoor events for running only, I may look at that, although I'd much rather be doing tris...
Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
IMMT has a timing problem. If there are still infection waves happening, any exposure happening at that race and spreading across the province will hit the schools when they go back a week or two later.

But for now it looks like most other events are going ahead in Quebec, so it will probably happen in some form.

Latest news I see out of Quebec is:

"Group outdoor sports and recreational training will remain open to a maximum of eight people in red zones but will increase to 12 people in orange zones. In orange zones, indoor activities will be allowed with up to eight people"

Thats a far cry from an Ironman event. I'm registered, but I seriously doubt it will happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canā€™t go wrong with the Whistler Half ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but you can buy tickets for the Osheaga music festival, register for every other race in Quebec, etc. It's going to open up here, for better or for worse.

I'm surprised that IM hasn't done the TedX-type pivot. Offer IM-style races to protect your brand and events but on a smaller scale until things open up again. The risk for the Canadian races is that the US athletes can't travel here. Scale it down for a year, Canadian athletes only, and I bet you would still come close to selling out.

Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nothing makes sense in BC about the tri season???

It is 4-6 months away and things are getting cancelled even though by then if you look at UK trends deaths should be down 10 fold by June. So that is 3-6 people per day in Canada .

At the covid peak (Feb) I took my family skiing and we stood in lines all day much closer then people get at a triathlon and used public bathrooms, get stuck up on the hill and had to eat at the hall with over 80 people in the cafeteria. ( enclosed).

No one blinked an eye.

As I have learned anything is allowed until it is called an event.

Cultus lake will have a thousand bodies at the beach, watersides full, parking lot full, amusement park is open right NOW and will be all summer, people will come from all over Canada . yet 200-500 people properly seeded and place over 50 km is not allowed.

But if you take 10 people right now you can group ride and run within 20 m of each other???

This is right now with 700 cases Friday??? by Sept the cases and deaths should be near nothing.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly it.

Here, I can go eat in a restaurant but they won't open my swimming pool because it's too dangerous.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim with 12 different strangers every day at the government pool.
My kids go to school.
My son goes to hockey.
Other son goes o parkour.
Soon soccer.
I work.
Wife works.
We went to an escape room this weekend.
Then to dinner out.
Of course we follow rule.

But how is that week allowed and a triathlon isn't. You can change the rules of the race and pre race and transition.

Also last year I vacationed in penticton full beaches, restaurants and hotel was at a lower capacity but again that is the same weekend as a race.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 5 BC races cancelled [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
But how is that week allowed and a triathlon isn't. You can change the rules of the race and pre race and transition.

For the most part, your week is different because your activities are (should be) confined to your community. Triathlon, as you stated in an earlier post, is an "event" that would bring people together from hundreds of different communities.

I think you and I can agree that the argument could be made that a triathlon or any time-trial style of race, could be made safe because for the most part, athletes are staggered and rarely find themselves in bunches or groups. Other congregation points (package pickup, award ceremonies, etc) can also be spread out to limit contact points with other athletes, spectators and volenteers. But how does a policy maker or politician give the green light to one non-essential event and not the others (a music festival for example)?

Look, I want to participate as much as anyone posting on here. I am registered for the Victoria Half in July and IMC in August. If Dynamic was holding races, I would have entered Westwood and Elk Lake too.

Am I surprised by Dynamic's decision to cancel 2021? Not really; their model probably works best for them by holding all 5 races versus just one or two.
Quote Reply

Prev Next