Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

53/34 chain rings?
Quote | Reply
I have come across these chainrings and I wanted to see what the ST brainiacs think about this. It’s a 53/34 chainring which I thought would cause shifting problems. But they have some technology they talk about that I am not sure if it’s just marketing or real. But it would be nice to have a climbing small ring to go with a bigger big ring so not to spin out as fast in the descents. Thoughts?

https://wickwerks.com/...KXbqgQhLQOwmXffM3ATY
Quote Reply
Re: 53/34 chain rings? [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the idea of it, would be interested to see how it works. Around here, I never use the small ring, it's too flat.

But when I need it, I really really need it, lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wickwerks makes nice chainrings that shift very well. They have pretty aggressive machining on the big ring that aids shifting.

I've used their rings on a double chainring MTB and cross bike and was happy with their shifting and non standard combinations.

I've not used these 53/34, but based upon my experience with their other rings and if you need this range (and not just 52/34 that is a more common way to get wider range), this seems like a good option.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you try it out, I'd love to hear your take. Would love for that kind of range in the front to potentially tighten up between cogs in the back. Would suit heavier sprinter road cyclists very well.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like they got the drivetrain shifting down. I wonder if my legs could "shift" enough cadence/torque to like riding them. The wide range sounds great, but I also really appreciate a narrow front range (like 42/52) for the way that feels when you make the shift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interested as well.

Will follow this thread...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're a strong + low-cadence rider, you could then combine this with the Ultegra 14-28 cassette for small jumps and still have enough gear to get up a climb.
Quote Reply
Re: 53/34 chain rings? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Unless you're a strong + low-cadence rider, you could then combine this with the Ultegra 14-28 cassette for small jumps and still have enough gear to get up a climb.
Yeah, but there'd be 5 or 6 compensatory shifts to get into the next sequential gear every time you changed rings.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 52/34 with Shimano rings. If I could have easily found a 53 in a 110 bcd I would have done that.

It does limit the rear cassette capacity unless you leave your chain 1 or 2 links long. Even then the chain just sags while in small/small or small/second to smallest which I'm rarely ever in anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: 53/34 chain rings? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking more in combination with the SRAM 11-28 or 12-28 cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use 52-34 with 11-28 on q rings and it is awesome
Quote Reply
Re: 53/34 chain rings? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:

Interesting...I had a 53-36 combo for QXL rings and couldn't get it shift well (I'm no stranger to Rotor oval rings and know how to set them up). Ended up swapping the 36 for a 38 QXL ring instead. Might have to consider going Q when it's time to replace the QXL.
Quote Reply
Re: 53/34 chain rings? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:

It’s awesome because of the 52-34 or the Q? I was actually looking at the Rotor NonQ 52-34
Quote Reply
Re: 53/34 chain rings? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Yeah, but there'd be 5 or 6 compensatory shifts to get into the next sequential gear every time you changed rings.

If the intent were switching between "climbing" and "flat/descend" modes, that might not be bad - rare front shifts that take place with a bit of planning.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply