Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

50mi/day for 50 days
Quote | Reply
Thinking of maybe doing something like this for charity in 2021, but wondering if I'm even capable of it.

What sort of fitness would one need for something like this? I'm sure you'd ride into great fitness but have to have a lot of endurance leading into it. For context the most I've ridden in a week was 206mi, but I've also never tried to do much more than that and it was also during IM prep. And the most miles I've ridden in a year is 3,096 and this challenge could have more than that in 2 months!

First thing I'd want to do is get a fit to make sure I can comfortably ride that much because I sure as hell can't right now. But I'd want to know there's a strong chance I could finish this if I'm going to start it, especially if it's for charity. Early thoughts on guidelines would allow as many rides per day to hit the target and can also be done inside or outside.

Anyone have any experience with anything like this?
Quote Reply
Re: 50mi/day for 50 days [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this guy can do 250/day for a month (July) you can handle 50 easily.
Quote Reply
Re: 50mi/day for 50 days [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap!

That might have been the best response I could have gotten, haha!

I should probably add that I'd be doing this around a full time job. Still manageable I think If I ride 2-3hr in the morning and 1-1.5 at night. But still part of the occasion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw, if you didn't notice he did it on the same 8 mile out and back course, every single day!

Physically I wouldn't really have a problem doing it. I've been fluctuating between 250-350 mile weeks since early summer without any issues. Usually down to about 150 for rest weeks. But, mentally it'd be tough. I already ride everyday but there are plenty of days that I wake up and just want to do an easy 15-20 mile spin and that it. The next day though I might do 120+ though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Thinking of maybe doing something like this for charity in 2021, but wondering if I'm even capable of it.

What sort of fitness would one need for something like this? I'm sure you'd ride into great fitness but have to have a lot of endurance leading into it. For context the most I've ridden in a week was 206mi, but I've also never tried to do much more than that and it was also during IM prep. And the most miles I've ridden in a year is 3,096 and this challenge could have more than that in 2 months!

First thing I'd want to do is get a fit to make sure I can comfortably ride that much because I sure as hell can't right now. But I'd want to know there's a strong chance I could finish this if I'm going to start it, especially if it's for charity. Early thoughts on guidelines would allow as many rides per day to hit the target and can also be done inside or outside.

I was about a third of the way through reading your post before I realised you were asking about cycling.

You've got no excuse. Go for it! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.bicycling.com/...anda-coker-for-real/

She went for 237 miles per day on a 6 mile loop. You can do 50.

More seriously, I would think 50 miles would be more of a time issue than physical endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a similar thing this summer with the GVRAT---only with running instead of cycling. Last year (2019), I ran 1000 miles total, with a longest run of 13 miles. In GVRAT (June through August, 2020) I ran just over 900 miles in 3 months, averaging 12 miles a day for the last 60 days. That's the same order of magnitude of what you're looking at. I went into the GVRAT *very* under-prepared, and ramped up from 0 mpw, starting June 1.

So, its very doable. Even more so since you can break it up into a couple of rides per day. 2x25mi ain't no big thang, if all you're doing is cycling (no running). That's just a little over an hour twice a day---more or less a 14 hour (2-a-day) week. Lots of IM plans meet that criteria. The catch is the lack of an "off day".

No special fitness should be required. It would be useful to be at (or near) the target weekly volume by the start date. If you can do 300 mpw, and 75+ miles as your long day, you should coast through it without too much trouble. But, even if you are at less than that (eg, you're long ride is barely 50mi), it should be doable....you will likely just have to manage it more carefully during the early stages---using doubles or even triples to maximize volume and minimize recovery cost until you get on top of the daily volume. 1x50 != 2x25 != 3x17 in terms of recovery. Even still....very doable.

From my experience week 3 is where things reach their low point---and the lack of an "off day" begins to catch up. So, its important to keep that in mind when you are feeling good in weeks 1 and 2, and don't get frisky.

I agree that making sure your bike fits is a good idea. Especially, if you think there's a current issue with it. Make sure you have comfortable bike shorts, and lots of them (though shalt not ride in dirty shorts)...and chamois cream if you have any issues with saddle sores (at all)...and, its a good idea to have some on hand, even if you don't.
Quote Reply
Re: 50mi/day for 50 days [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Btw, if you didn't notice he did it on the same 8 mile out and back course, every single day!

Physically I wouldn't really have a problem doing it. I've been fluctuating between 250-350 mile weeks since early summer without any issues. Usually down to about 150 for rest weeks. But, mentally it'd be tough. I already ride everyday but there are plenty of days that I wake up and just want to do an easy 15-20 mile spin and that it. The next day though I might do 120+ though.

I did notice that! That's some special mental strength. I hear you, the mental side would definitely be the hardest part for me I think. Even if the physical part is far beyond anything I've ever done.
Quote Reply
Re: 50mi/day for 50 days [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
https://www.bicycling.com/...anda-coker-for-real/

She went for 237 miles per day on a 6 mile loop. You can do 50.

More seriously, I would think 50 miles would be more of a time issue than physical endurance.

Wow, that is incredible! Yeah, the timing is definitely something I'm trying to fully wrap my head around. I think to fit around a full time job, I'd have to commit to riding before and after work. I don't think I can get up early enough for that long to do everything before work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:

For me, the physical aspect would be challenging but certainly doable. The difficult part would be my other commitments such as work and kids.
Quote Reply
Re: 50mi/day for 50 days [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I did a similar thing this summer with the GVRAT---only with running instead of cycling. Last year (2019), I ran 1000 miles total, with a longest run of 13 miles. In GVRAT (June through August, 2020) I ran just over 900 miles in 3 months, averaging 12 miles a day for the last 60 days. That's the same order of magnitude of what you're looking at. I went into the GVRAT *very* under-prepared, and ramped up from 0 mpw, starting June 1.

So, its very doable. Even more so since you can break it up into a couple of rides per day. 2x25mi ain't no big thang, if all you're doing is cycling (no running). That's just a little over an hour twice a day---more or less a 14 hour (2-a-day) week. Lots of IM plans meet that criteria. The catch is the lack of an "off day".

No special fitness should be required. It would be useful to be at (or near) the target weekly volume by the start date. If you can do 300 mpw, and 75+ miles as your long day, you should coast through it without too much trouble. But, even if you are at less than that (eg, you're long ride is barely 50mi), it should be doable....you will likely just have to manage it more carefully during the early stages---using doubles or even triples to maximize volume and minimize recovery cost until you get on top of the daily volume. 1x50 != 2x25 != 3x17 in terms of recovery. Even still....very doable.

From my experience week 3 is where things reach their low point---and the lack of an "off day" begins to catch up. So, its important to keep that in mind when you are feeling good in weeks 1 and 2, and don't get frisky.

I agree that making sure your bike fits is a good idea. Especially, if you think there's a current issue with it. Make sure you have comfortable bike shorts, and lots of them (though shalt not ride in dirty shorts)...and chamois cream if you have any issues with saddle sores (at all)...and, its a good idea to have some on hand, even if you don't.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I think my fit is mostly there but needs some tweaks, especially if I'm undertaking something like this. But what I'm most concerned about regarding my fit is the saddle. There's no way I could do this on the saddle I'm on right now.
Quote Reply