Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

50 miler
Quote | Reply
So my main goal in 2021 is to run a 50 mile race.

If Covid strikes I’ll do it solo.

Will do a bunch of research and map out a plan but would love some advice from this board on tips, watch outs, experiences that you have had etc.

Background: 48 yr old male, long running background (x country in school, triathlons from 1988 - 1990 and 1998 - 2010). Run a bunch of marathons, last one being a solo last year in 3’25. Averaged approximately 110 miles per month of running with weights, peloton and outdoor riding to supplement.

Don’t specifically have a time goal - mainly want to “run the whole thing” and only walk fir aid stations etc.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: 50 miler [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
So my main goal in 2021 is to run a 50 mile race.

If Covid strikes I’ll do it solo.

Will do a bunch of research and map out a plan but would love some advice from this board on tips, watch outs, experiences that you have had etc.

Background: 48 yr old male, long running background (x country in school, triathlons from 1988 - 1990 and 1998 - 2010). Run a bunch of marathons, last one being a solo last year in 3’25. Averaged approximately 110 miles per month of running with weights, peloton and outdoor riding to supplement.

Don’t specifically have a time goal - mainly want to “run the whole thing” and only walk fir aid stations etc.

Thanks in advance!

Quite easy, at The same time hard.

You need to run alot of miles - train to make your easy pace faster, not to sustain your fast pace stronger.

Musclular endurance is key. And ofc pacing + nutrition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did several 50's back in the mid-1990's on what I consider primarily half-ironman training. Your experience puts you way ahead of where I was back then.

All my "ultras" were on trails. I would hate to tackle something like that on pavement.

Since you have considerable tri experience, the biking can be a great way to keep leg strength and endurance up without the impact on the legs. You don't need to do mega-miles on the run if you are biking. I went just over 8:00 in my first hilly trail 50. As I said, that was basically half-ironman training. And I was a 3-flat marathoner, nothing notable about any other athletic accomplishment to set me up for some respectable 50's.

Have fun and enjoy the journey. Nail your nutrition. I like to split up my longest endurance days into multiple run-bike-run-bike-run sessions, etc. Occasional long-run weekends can be good if you're healthy... two moderately long runs on Saturday at a good pace and one longer easier one on Sunday... or vice-versa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my first 50 miler in 2020. 56 miles on pavement. I had been regularly running 50+ mpw for my tri training for a few years. Bumped up to 70+ with a few weeks in the 80’s. Long run of 25 miles. Was also riding bike 150+ mpw. My biggest concern was pacing it correctly as I have trouble running slow. Didn’t eat enough for the actual run either. Put in the miles and you’ll be fine.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: 50 miler [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Did my first 50 miler in 2020. 56 miles on pavement. I had been regularly running 50+ mpw for my tri training for a few years. Bumped up to 70+ with a few weeks in the 80’s. Long run of 25 miles. Was also riding bike 150+ mpw. My biggest concern was pacing it correctly as I have trouble running slow. Didn’t eat enough for the actual run either. Put in the miles and you’ll be fine.

Thanks appreciate the input. On pacing can you give me an idea of how you paced it including your training. I’m currently doing almost all of my running at 7’45 to 8’00 pace but recognize that this is way too fast for the 50. With a 3’25 solo marathon and 18’30 5k last year not sure where this leaves me from a pacing perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend running a few 50k's and then adding a 10 or 12 miler the day after during your training. Good milage and back to back for some mental toughness. Dial in nutrition and eating early and often to make sure you are fueled for the longer day ahead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I had a 70.3 cancelled in the spring, I did a 50K for charity so the build wouldn't go to waste. I won't give training advice but some thoughts on my logistics could help.

I set up a course that was nearly free of traffic lights. I only had to stop once at about 28 miles and getting going again wasn't so fun. Avoid lights on your route.

I had my girlfriend ride a beach cruiser bicycle that was loaded with fluids and gels and I had practiced nutrition. I followed a pretty rigid schedule, getting in sips before it felt necessary. I drank about six pounds of fluid and still lost three pounds! (I weighed myself pre and post out of curiosity, and I weigh in the mid 140s).

We also made a playlist on Spotify that was about five hours long and she played it as I ran. Hearing nothing but songs that you like/selected is helpful and motivating.

Plan a route with a few bathrooms. We looped by her condo at about 16 miles and there were a few other places along the way. I never went to the bathroom but there was some security in knowing exactly where my options were. That also gave her a chance to refill bottles if need be. We had planned well enough that it didn't need to be done, but again, it was security. (Her bike has a basket and big panniers, so we had loaded it up).

Do your run for charity! If you are on Facebook, you can create a fundraiser for most charities and with a pitch "If I'll run fifty miles, will you donate a few dollars to help...." you'll raise a few bucks. I'm not hugely active on FB but I raised $1,397 for Feeding America.

If you do it for charity, don't have the donation window close until a day or two after the run. Post a sweaty, ugly video right after you finish. "I just ran fifty miles for X charity, which is an important charity because... There's still time for you to contribute a few dollars, if you can." You'll bring in some additional money and that can also serve as a bit of a humble brag post. (Come on... if you run fifty miles you deserve a bit of a brag post!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not the best person to ask about pacing. For my 20+ milers I ran them at a 7 min/mi pace. For the run I did 8 min/mi.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to back long days can be a huge benefit, learning how to run on tired legs. I used to do a 20 week buildup for ultras, and from weeks 10 to 17 I alternated a long run of 4-5 hours (weeks 11, 13, 15, and 17) with back to back long days of 2-3 hours then 3-4 hours (weeks 10, 12, 14 and 16). They key is time out there moving, pace hardly mattered at all to get ready for a 7-8 hour race. Typically had a loop of 3-4 miles where I could stop for food and drink breaks.

Couldn't agree more about running on soft surfaces whenever possible. My first 50 was a trail ultra and I can't imagine if it had been on the roads or bike trails. Golf courses where you are to run long runs? I'm 48 now as well, and can't run on the roads with any consistency at all. Even run in the grass medians when I can.

Expect for the second half of the 50 to be 20-30% slower. Even with a good nutrition plan, the beating on the body takes its toll. Not like tris where you have a shift in body position and muscle usage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

Thanks appreciate the input. On pacing can you give me an idea of how you paced it including your training. I’m currently doing almost all of my running at 7’45 to 8’00 pace but recognize that this is way too fast for the 50. With a 3’25 solo marathon and 18’30 5k last year not sure where this leaves me from a pacing perspective.

If you want specific numbers regarding pacing that depends on the event you're going to run.

I have a 50 mile PR of 6:13. The following year I placed second in a 50 kilometre trail race in 6:30. All ultras are not created equal.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 miler [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doing ultras till the pools open back up.

did my first 50k on trails in mid dec and doing a 40mi trail run with over 10k elevation gain next weekend in the north GA mountains.

biggest thing I can recommend is the back to back long runs and practice power hiking. you will hike alot over 8 to 10 hours. Run at night, in the cold and in the rain. learn to embrace miserable conditions.

if you run trails pace is irrelevant since it will vary. more about time on feet.

I do M,W easy, T is tempo or threshold, TH is speed or Fartleck, Fr is hills, sat and sun are long

wouldn't worry about racing, just enjoy the run and start slow.

FWIW, you won't be averaging anywhere near 8 min mi during a 50mi race, especially on a trail.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first 50 miler this past fall and hopefully will do a 70 this summer.

I run with a real veteran of the ultra scene.

His advice. Train hard enough that your red line is pretty high. Race easy enough that you never have to go near it.

if you are doing hilly trails then i have found practicing with poles useful. ive also been practicing good technique on descending.

another good trail racer I know says...take the easiest route not necessarily the shortest route and keep your eyes 5m ahead to plan these. it all adds up over the distance.

good luck
Last edited by: rhayden: Jan 9, 21 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my first 50 miler in 2019 at age 60 with a history of nearly 40 marathons including IM races. The sole goal was to finish as it was a trail ultra in the Alps on a loop with 17K of elevation gain. I averaged less than 30 mpw running in the months before the race as I continued with my normal tri training. The key for me was to be in running shape to survive weekends two months and a month out from the race where I did 25 mile runs on SA & SU on the hilliest trails I could find within an hour's drive. I walked every hill in the 25 milers, as I did in the race. Of course, more running is better as long as you can stay healthy. I also recommend a long taper before the race. Have fun!

I hope to do the same ultra this year if the pandemic allows. I finished in '19 about an hour slower than expected because of poor equipment decisions for the course. This time I'll use poles and wear the Nike Pegasus trail shoe instead of the normal Pegasus shoe.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jan 9, 21 7:24
Quote Reply