Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if most run less than 6x a week for ironman training?
Quote Reply
Re: 5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training? [Mrdavidalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do 4. 2 of them are 1.5 hours or more.
Quote Reply
Re: 5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training? [Mrdavidalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should not run 5-6 times a week in IM training unless you're a pro. That amount of running is more consistent with open marathon training. Of course, you haven't said anything about distance vs. recovery vs. intensity but yes, in general, that is too much running. Running beats you up more than the other disciplines. Good luck.
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: 5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training? [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you're a pro? Do you think there is something magical about being a pro? It has nothing to do if you're a pro. It has to do with how your plan is built and the intensity of the runs.
Quote Reply
Re: 5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training? [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
You should not run 5-6 times a week in IM training unless you're a pro. That amount of running is more consistent with open marathon training. Of course, you haven't said anything about distance vs. recovery vs. intensity but yes, in general, that is too much running. Running beats you up more than the other disciplines. Good luck.
-Doug

This is simply untrue. In fact, an aspiring IM athlete is much better off getting to their volume goals through manageable frequency, versus less-frequent, strenuous efforts. Cumulative aerobic conditioning and recovery are what make an IM runner strong, and you can't get that if you're putting in high-stress, long-recovery workouts, a few days a week. Some people are satisfied with less conditioning and can live with 25 mpw via 3 runs. However, for anyone that's shooting for run performance, that aerobic volume is best achieved through regular, low-risk accumulation.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: 5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training? [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Making blanket statements is silly. There are lots of ways to get there.

"Aerobic volume" is definitely key as you say, but you can achieve it through biking and swimming and minimal running.

Again, you have to look at the whole plan.

If you do it right, you can run freaking fast off of 3-4 runs a week. FYI - I'm a huge Lydriad volume freak, so this says a lot!
Last edited by: ICSTG: Aug 27, 12 18:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
way less then 6......2 or 3 times a week. I've never been a runner, but i'm lucky that my body adapts to it at the drop of a hat.

IMO, Building long fitness and losing weight is far more key...My normal weight is about 153 and race at 146....the weight never changes my swim or bike times but changes in run my times are huge.
Quote Reply
Re: 5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training? [ICSTG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew I would stir the pot a little with my comments. I agree with you about being able to smoke an IM run on 3-4 runs / week. My concern for a newbie (my assumption about the OP) is that too much running usually leads to injury. The "pro" reference is really about people who can handle high volume due to a long career of base building. I also agree with you that I would rather a newbie build aerobic conditioning across the board, particularly with swimming. Definitely lots of ways to get to good IM run fitness but assuming a person has 12-15 hours to give a week to train just for arguments sake, 5-6 runs takes a big chunk of out of that time. Best,
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
I knew I would stir the pot a little with my comments. I agree with you about being able to smoke an IM run on 3-4 runs / week. My concern for a newbie (my assumption about the OP) is that too much running usually leads to injury. The "pro" reference is really about people who can handle high volume due to a long career of base building. I also agree with you that I would rather a newbie build aerobic conditioning across the board, particularly with swimming. Definitely lots of ways to get to good IM run fitness but assuming a person has 12-15 hours to give a week to train just for arguments sake, 5-6 runs takes a big chunk of out of that time. Best,
-Doug

Ok, I can live with that explanation. Well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrdavidalex wrote:

I will be running 3 days a week. Working up to 1.5 hour runs 2 days a week, and one 2 to 2.5 hour run. Thats it!! Going to spend the time on the bike if I have extra

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have seriously altered your argument from your original post.

A "pro" is not someone who can handle high volume, never has been.

5-6 runs is very manageable for most IM wannabes, the key is to have at least two of those between 20-45mins. These runs help to build aerobic capacity, specific to running. They help reinforce good technique, build strength etc. a short run like these are great during a lunch break. Running off the bike. Or as a post race recovery. I frequently swim and then do a quick jog after swimming. These short runs add up! Fwiw I am a mid16 5ker.

Quote | Reply
Uh oh!!! Cannastar is a time dropper!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Just wondering if most run less than 6x a week for ironman training?"

It doesn't have to be either/or. For me, I'd run a lot (6-7 X/week, 50-60 mpw) during what some people would call the "off-season" and then in the ~4 months before race season would run 4-5X/week (~35 mpw).

Quote Reply
Re: 5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training? [ICSTG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahah I'll cop that one

Just trying to show I have some modicum of understanding about running.

Quote | Reply
And what would you know...this is IM training not some silly Olympic hahahaha. Kidding of course since I do short course.
Quote Reply
Re: 5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training? [cannastar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cannastar wrote:
Hahah I'll cop that one

Just trying to show I have some modicum of understanding about running.

Just busting your balls. There are plenty of fast people who are morons about training. You had some good points, no need to justify yourself. Quality comments and input justify themselves:)
Quote Reply
Re: 5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok.....what's going to most likely get a better IM time. I don't think I can run 4-5x week and get the mileage in. I can recover faster for a buch of shorter runs than a few longer runs in a week. But if I run less with the shorter runs I will recover no problem and could spend more time swimming and biking.

Here are my two options.
Option 1:
Wk1: Swim (3hrs), Bike (12hrs), Run 4/5xwk (3 hrs)
Wk2: Swim (3hrs), Bike( 12hrs), Run 4/5xwk(3 hrs)
Wk3: Swim (3hrs), Bike(12 hrs), Run 4/5xwk(3 hrs)
Wk4: Recovery Week
Wk5: Swim(3.5hrs), Bike(13hrs), Run 4/5xwk(3.5 hrs)
Wk6: Swim(3.5hrs), Bike(14hrs), Run 4/5xwk(3.5 hrs)
Wk7: Swim(3.5hrs), Bike(15hrs), Run 4/5xwk(3.5 hrs)
Wk8: Taper
Wk9:Taper
Wk10: Race

Option 2:
Option 1:
Wk1: Swim (3hrs), Bike (9hrs), Run 6xwk (5 hrs)
Wk2: Swim (3hrs), Bike( 9hrs), Run 6xwk(5 hrs)
Wk3: Swim (3hrs), Bike(9hrs), Run 6xwk(5 hrs)
Wk5: Swim(3hrs), Bike(10hrs), Run 6xwk (5.5 hrs)
Wk6: Swim(3hrs), Bike(11hrs), Run 6xwk (5.5 hrs)
Wk7: Swim(3hrs), Bike(12hrs), Run 6xwk (5.5 hrs)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You should not run 5-6 times a week in IM training unless you're a pro. That amount of running is more consistent with open marathon training. Of course, you haven't said anything about distance vs. recovery vs. intensity but yes, in general, that is too much running.

Did you miss these threads over the last few weeks?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...um.cgi?post=4122787;

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...um.cgi?post=4081647;

If you go search the forum you'll see your wrong. While you did a good job of dodging and weaving from your original response if you search past run threads you'll see why you are wrong. Please report back with your findings so everyone can learn.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrdavidalex wrote:

Typically run 4-5x a week; a few of those are on a treadmill at 1 hour high intensity and outside runs slower at 1:15-1:30 on weekends and sometimes I run 2x a day.

I personally and this is just me would never run 6 days a week; too much chance of injury/overtraining.

But I also like to adjust my training schedule weekly depending upon I feel. GL

Btw you are just training 10 weeks for an IM? Just curious not saying its wrong since I don't know you.

Your training volume seems to be flat and consistent , again not saying its wrong just not for me.
Last edited by: Newyorkfan21: Aug 27, 12 19:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrdavidalex wrote:
Ok.....what's going to most likely get a better IM time. I don't think I can run 4-5x week and get the mileage in. I can recover faster for a buch of shorter runs than a few longer runs in a week. But if I run less with the shorter runs I will recover no problem and could spend more time swimming and biking.

Here are my two options.
Option 1:
Wk1: Swim (3hrs), Bike (12hrs), Run 4/5xwk (3 hrs)
Wk2: Swim (3hrs), Bike( 12hrs), Run 4/5xwk(3 hrs)
Wk3: Swim (3hrs), Bike(12 hrs), Run 4/5xwk(3 hrs)
Wk5: Swim(3.5hrs), Bike(13hrs), Run 4/5xwk(3.5 hrs)
Wk6: Swim(3.5hrs), Bike(14hrs), Run 4/5xwk(3.5 hrs)
Wk7: Swim(3.5hrs), Bike(15hrs), Run 4/5xwk(3.5 hrs)

Option 2:
Option 1:
Wk1: Swim (3hrs), Bike (9hrs), Run 6xwk (5 hrs)
Wk2: Swim (3hrs), Bike( 9hrs), Run 6xwk(5 hrs)
Wk3: Swim (3hrs), Bike(9hrs), Run 6xwk(5 hrs)
Wk5: Swim(3hrs), Bike(10hrs), Run 6xwk (5.5 hrs)
Wk6: Swim(3hrs), Bike(11hrs), Run 6xwk (5.5 hrs)
Wk7: Swim(3hrs), Bike(12hrs), Run 6xwk (5.5 hrs)

Option 1!!! That is assuming you want to go fast.
Quote Reply
Re: 5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training? [Newyorkfan21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I personally and this is just me would never run 6 days a week; too much chance of injury/overtraining.

Wrong. The more consistent you are the less likely you are to have an injury. Running more often is one of the best and easiest ways to achieve a higher running volume.

You can run 8x per week and have a lower training stress and run more miles then someone who runs only 4x per week.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug your oversimplification is wrong. Too much running does not lead to injuries. Running with bad form leads to injury. Now if running too much leads to bad form, then you might get to injury, but they are not directly related. Injuries can also happen by going on an all out sprint for short periods of time, like muscle tears and strains or ruptured tendons.

I'm running 4 to 6 days a week, mostly 6. I'm slow as hell, but it's a great way to get the volume in needed to build endurance. You just have to work up to it like anything else. 2 to 3 days of running is probably great for maintaining run fitness, but it won't help you build much run fitness very quickly.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give us some times (TT and race times Not where you finish in races). The focus of your training is dependent on your strengths and goals.

Personally I think 3-3.5hrs of running is a little low, 40-50ks is very low considering you should be doing at least a 90min long run most weekends, that should peak at 2-2.5hrs hours depending on your ability/age/injury history.

Ps x1000 on Desert Dudes comment.

Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
In Reply To:

Wrong. The more consistent you are the less likely you are to have an injury. Running more often is one of the best and easiest ways to achieve a higher running volume.

You can run 8x per week and have a lower training stress and run more miles then someone who runs only 4x per week.

Wrong? He said that was for him. There is more than one right way to train. Saying "wrong" is ok for a fact, but not for a spefic method for a specific person. He even added two disclaimers.
Quote Reply
Re: 5(or less) or 6 runs per week Ironman training? [cannastar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was pretty much running around 40 miles a week (6days per week) but everytime I go over 40 miles I get injured it seems. My latest half ironman(somewhat hilly bike and run) was 4:54. 33 min swim, 2:35 bike, 1:40 run.

I feel like running 6 days a week helped my run a lot but the volume doesn't help.
Quote Reply

Prev Next