Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
5'3" looking for a P3 replacement
Quote | Reply
I do have my Cervelo P2 now for quite some time and looking for a replacement.I'm relatively short for a man and in many situations this was/is an issue. Of course bike fitting is always the right way to go, I pointed out earlier somewhere I'm just fancy for a new bike.

My candidates currently are Ventum, Diamand Back Andean or maybe p5x. I'm eyeing with Ventum or Andean for a frame set and take it from there. Plan is to install TriRig alpha and Dash saddle due to the flexibility and lots of options for the proper fitting.

Specs of my existing Cervelo:

Size 48
Stack 485
Reach 381
Effective top tube (79*) 484
Head tube angle 71
Head tube length 84
Bb drop 80
Front-center 583
Rear center 399
Height 742

Option 1:
Andean
Stack 490
Reach 385
Top tube length 471
Ht angle 71
Ht length 81
Bb drop 75
Front-center 580
Rear-center 410

option 2:
Ventum 46
Stack 492
Reach 381
Top tube length (75*) 488
Ht angle 72
Ht length 83
BB drop 75
Front center 565
Rear center 394
I have short legs compared to my upper body. The existing p2 is OK but not totally comfortable. My training buddies lay on their machines like on a sofa. I cant really say that...
As all these numbers mean nothing to me, can someone help me to understand whats important to look for and was not so?
Stack and reach, I understand this as a nice comparison tool. But is one or two millimeters more or less something that makes a difference?
I really meanwhile have no preference on these bikes anymore, other than that the Andean is currently not available. Of course I'm also open for alternatives but wanted to understand first whats important to look at.

many many thanks in advance!
Best
Christoph
Last edited by: Spoili007: Jul 12, 18 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [Spoili007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Premier Tactical in September.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey- I’m 5’4”, ride a Dimond XS and have a 48cm P3 on the trainer. Both are good/fast bikes. I have relatively long legs/short torso, which I think is the easier combo for finding a bike, not sure where you stand. One comment about the dash saddles ... I ride them and love them, but they have a very tall stack height, which may further complicate some issues for you, depending on how much seatpost you are able to either cut or drop into the frame of your choice.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Size 48
Stack 485
Reach 381

5'3" with short legs and you can't lay down on the bike like your friends

Sounds to me like your bike to too big and should be looking for something smaller.

I'm the same size and ride a 45cm P2
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but 45cm size is 650c. I'm not doing that. I have a couple of bikes. I know I'm on the fence but it works with my pinarello and actually the p2 is so far not too bad.

My inital question was - does a couple of mm stack and reach really make the difference or can for instance a super adjustable deck compensate this?

Any other suggestions?
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoili007 wrote:
but 45cm size is 650c. I'm not doing that. I have a couple of bikes. I know I'm on the fence but it works with my pinarello and actually the p2 is so far not too bad.

My inital question was - does a couple of mm stack and reach really make the difference or can for instance a super adjustable deck compensate this?

Any other suggestions?
thanks

what's wrong with 650s? if a good fit needs 650 wheels it would be silly to dismiss them and the bikes they come with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
premier will have a 650 sized frame coming soon. would be worth a look.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoili007 wrote:

Any other suggestions?
thanks

Look, I am 5'4" and I go 650c. I love riding my 650c tri bike, because the wheels just fit the frame and it handles so much better than my road bike with 700c wheels squeezed into a small frame. I would be very surprised if you are getting in a great position on a frame that large.

Plus, what you really need to be looking at is not just the frame stack and reach, but the pad x (reach) and y (stack).
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
650 is definitely NO GO for me. I have like 12 bikes in 3 different houses and all are 700. This is the only nonnegotiable point i have. I dont care about the rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely respect that you don't want to go to a 650C bike, but you said:

"I have short legs compared to my upper body. The existing p2 is OK but not totally comfortable. My training buddies lay on their machines like on a sofa. I cant really say that... "

Now perhaps your stack height is because you have short arms as well but I really don't see any way for you to get comfortable on a bike that is likely 50mm taller that what you require.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is premier? I'm in the market for a 650 road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I completely respect that you don't want to go to a 650C bike, but you said:

"I have short legs compared to my upper body. The existing p2 is OK but not totally comfortable. My training buddies lay on their machines like on a sofa. I cant really say that... "

Now perhaps your stack height is because you have short arms as well but I really don't see any way for you to get comfortable on a bike that is likely 50mm taller that what you require.

agree and i should have said that. I have short arms as well. My upper body is "normal" but short legs and arms. Again, my P2 is not too far off. I mean I have done like half a dozen 70.3s on it and fine. And yes, maybe already with the TriRig or something equally adjustable i may end up being totally happy but I'm ready for a new one now and eventually will get one that fits. I compared numbers but I need to understand if 4 mm less or more reach is making an huge difference.
Because classic measurements (RH48 or RH50) does.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchfried wrote:
What is premier? I'm in the market for a 650 road bike.

premier bikes.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After having worked with Dan, I'd go premier tactical all day long.

Cheers,

Don P.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [Piche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok sorry if I interrupt your sales pitches here. I wont ask again. Sorry for disturbing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give us Pad X/Y if you can.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a 5'3" woman who also refuses 650cc at this point. My 2 final bike considerations (aka lowest stack on a 700cc frame): Felt IA and QR Six.

I went with the QR Six- because they have a new lower stem/fork combo to get my basebar low. So, there are 2 possible stem combos for this bike, and the newer/upgraded one gets your basebar about couple of degrees lower than the Felt IA would've. Plus lots of great color combinations on the QRs. They even have disc brake versions if you are into that...
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [chicked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicked wrote:
I'm a 5'3" woman who also refuses 650cc at this point. My 2 final bike considerations (aka lowest stack on a 700cc frame): Felt IA and QR Six.

I went with the QR Six- because they have a new lower stem/fork combo to get my basebar low. So, there are 2 possible stem combos for this bike, and the newer/upgraded one gets your basebar about couple of degrees lower than the Felt IA would've. Plus lots of great color combinations on the QRs. They even have disc brake versions if you are into that...
Thank you very very much!
I’ll take a look into QRsix as well. Sounds interesting and was always on my list as well. Thx again
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Give us Pad X/Y if you can.
What’s ment by Pad x/y?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 5’4” and can’t understand why vertically challenged people have a problem with 650. It’s an appropriate size for us. I had a 650 Cervelo years ago and it was by far the best fitting and therefore, fastest bike I have ever had.

I will soon be purchasing an XS, 650, Premier Tactical from Dan. I would seriously encourage you to look at the Premier and ask Dan any questions. He is the most responsive person in the industry and can explain in detail why those our height should ride 650.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [jacked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No-one seems to have noted that the stack on the Premier Tactical XS is 500, (though I note that is for pad stack, so maybe you can get it lower?) which is too high for the OP, unless the bike that is coming in September is an XXS???
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [trimon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimon wrote:
No-one seems to have noted that the stack on the Premier Tactical XS is 500, (though I note that is for pad stack, so maybe you can get it lower?) which is too high for the OP, unless the bike that is coming in September is an XXS???

THANKS!! Of course this was the first thing I checked and excluded it but everyone here was so busy with subtle marketing that I wouldn't bother them... Also, this makes me thinking if this is a forum or more of a sales platform...

But yeah, thanks for pointing that out!
Quote Reply
Re: 5'3" looking for a P3 replacement [trimon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimon wrote:

This is Pad Stack making this bike much, much lower than any of the other bikes listed above as they are listing frame stack. Depending on stem/bars used this could be several CMs difference.

The OP would be much better served if he would list his Pad X/Y, i.e. Pad Reach and Stack.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Jul 16, 18 6:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoili007 wrote:
THANKS!! Of course this was the first thing I checked and excluded it but everyone here was so busy with subtle marketing that I wouldn't bother them... Also, this makes me thinking if this is a forum or more of a sales platform...

But yeah, thanks for pointing that out!

You're leaving out the stem stack height on your P3 which is likely around 35mm on the short side, if it's at least a 0Âş rise, which would add 17.5mm to your frame's stack just to the center of the bar your using. And if you have some ultra low setup bar then you're likely another 25mm to your pad height, which Premier is giving you in their chart. So, your pad Y would be 527 if the above bits are accurate.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply

Prev Next