Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

4 watt difference between SRAM's XX1 / AXS and KMC's Eagle X12 chains?
Quote | Reply
Has this popped up around here yet? I saw a little blurb in a Cyclingtips article. Is KMC doing some Dan Kennison magic to their chain for such a low price? That's the chain on my Trek Fuel, but I can't say I thought past 'gold' and the fact I have never had a problem with a KMC chain.

Copied straight from the article:

As a teaser for an article in the works, Kerin chooses to use a different chain depending on whether he’s training or racing. “[The] SRAM Eagle XX1 / AXS chains are the longest-lasting in the world, but they have been tested by two separate independent labs as being very slow.” For racing, Kerin chooses KMC’s Eagle x12 chain, “[which has been] tested as pretty much fastest chain to date, but is also extremely short-lived, with controlled machine testing being not too great, and field testing taking an average of 600km of mountain biking for it to reach .5% wear mark.”

According to Kerin, it’s a case of 4W versus 8W at 250W load. Stay tuned on this topic — an in-depth feature exclusive to CyclingTips is in the works.
Last edited by: dangle: Aug 6, 19 7:24
Quote Reply
Re: 4 watt difference between SRAM's XX1 / AXS and KMC's Eagle X12 chains? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting. I hate the stock lube that comes on Sram chains. It’s a gunky, sticky mess that is super hard to strip off.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 4 watt difference between SRAM's XX1 / AXS and KMC's Eagle X12 chains? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I look forward to the next installment because I'm curious what treatment/cleaning was done to those chains before testing. The KMC chain was covered in something that felt much lighter. I think I installed it as-is when I definitely stripped the syrup from my GX Eagle chain before use.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 watt difference between SRAM's XX1 / AXS and KMC's Eagle X12 chains? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New AXS chains have a much thinner factory grease than the 11spd chains you're probably referring too. Out the box, they are much easier to work with than the older ones. Pretty happy about this.

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 4 watt difference between SRAM's XX1 / AXS and KMC's Eagle X12 chains? [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road or mountain? I think AXS can refer to either and I thought SRAM said the chains are not cross compatible. There's the Eagle 12 speed (that I was referencing) and the new Flattop for Red and Force AXS. I'm not 100% on that info though. You and Alex may know more.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 watt difference between SRAM's XX1 / AXS and KMC's Eagle X12 chains? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Ceramic Speed is using all KMC chains. Before Jason got bought out by CS, I think he found the DuraAce chains fastest (made by Izumi), but the KMC's were right there. I'm guessing CS is using KMC to be a bit brand agnostic and they're probably easier/cheaper to get in bulk than Shimano.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply