Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

42 tooth cassette. Sram vs Shimano
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts or experience with either or both? I like the black finish of the Sram but not hearing great things about the pinned design. This will be for a 1x setup.
Quote Reply
Re: 42 tooth cassette. Sram vs Shimano [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm finding that 42 isn't enough.....50 is where its at. Especially handy when your climbing some of the gnarly fire breaks out there.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Shimano 11-42 on one wheeler and SRAM 10-42 on other paired with Wolf Tooth front chainring, XTR rd and KMC chain. Shimano shifts slightly better but it’s marginal. Personally I like having the 10t cog for more range, but it requires an XD or XDR driver.
Quote Reply
Re: 42 tooth cassette. Sram vs Shimano [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Front ring tooth count?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I've noticed is when you get at least up to SRAM 36 tooth I can back pedal on their cassettes without it jumping down a couple gears no matter what I do that is something I can't shake in the Shimano cassettes. I thought for a while it was just me and something I was setting up wrong but apparently that's unknown issue that Sram has somehow corrected
Quote Reply
Re: 42 tooth cassette. Sram vs Shimano [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
46 most of the time, 44 if a load of climbing or something like DK200. Wolf Tooth all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it on the 18t cog? SRAM has 15-17-19.

SRAM and Shimano play fine in my experience, especially with KMC chain.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Mar 8, 20 16:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No on the top couple, or 36 or 34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have SRAM 11-42 cassette and have toyed around a lot with the system because the shifting is pretty unreliable between the 32, 36 and 42. A lot of skipping mis-shift etc. I have come to conclusion that a big part of the issue is that its really a 10 spd cassette in terms of spacing. It requires a 1.85mm spacer to fit on 11 spd wheels and I think this just adds just enough slop into the system to create the issues I am having.

Chain cleanliness, chain wear, thru-axel tension and all the other usual suspects all play their role but it seems like any issues with spacer tolerance create. If the spacer isn't dead on you are effectively changing the chain line which becomes an issue at extreme chain angles. The higher end SRAM cassettes are 11 spd specific but they more than double the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my thought. As soon as SRAM or Shimano drop a 12 speed 40-42 T cassette it solves all everything.

One freehub for 1x MTB, gravel, road. As in 45-50T cassette for MTB, 42T gravel, 34T road. All 1x.

I'm patiently waiting so all bikes can play with one another without any odd mullet stuff :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: 42 tooth cassette. Sram vs Shimano [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a 42t for Sram etap Axs 12v? I noticed that maximum is 33t
Quote Reply
Re: 42 tooth cassette. Sram vs Shimano [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. If there was I'd have Axs MTB, Gravel, Road. All 1x. Thousands of $$ just waiting for them to pull the trigger on a mid range cassette!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also 48x33 is too long for a 8% climb
Quote Reply
Re: 42 tooth cassette. Sram vs Shimano [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not for everyone....100% agree with that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s odd that neither SRAM nor Shimano have gotten the gravel cassette offering, IMO. Personally I don’t want a 10-50, but 12-spd 10-42 or 44 would be ideal for do-all road + gravel gearing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So dumb question. Do all the 12 speed systems take a different hub from the existing ones used for 11 speed. I've literally not looked at a single 12 speed set up because I don't have any desire to upgrade except for if there was something really appealing in the one x department. Speaking of srams new Force 1 aero chainring is sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM 12 speed cassette with a 10 tooth cog needs an XDR freehub body.

SRAM 11 speed cassette with a 10 tooth cog will fit on an XD freehub body or an XDR freehub body with a spacer.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Mar 9, 20 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Jim noted, yes. SRAM 11-spd (with 10t) is XD Driver. The 12-spd requires and XDR driver, which will also work with 11-spd with extra space (that's what I'm running now). Shimano's 12-spd is the Microspline driver. which I don't believe spaces for 11-spd anything.

The group I'd put on next bike (which doesn't currently exist) is Force 12 with a 10-42 cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
It’s odd that neither SRAM nor Shimano have gotten the gravel cassette offering, IMO. Personally I don’t want a 10-50, but 12-spd 10-42 or 44 would be ideal for do-all road + gravel gearing.
Why is it weird that shimano doesn't have a 12 speed gravel cassette when they don't have a drop bar 12 speed configuration? GRX(and r8000/rx800) works with 11-42 though? Shimano is still pushing 2x for gravel as well and 2x with a clutched RD and 31x34(can push to 36-40) gearing should be more than enough
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many people (myself included) were waiting for SRAM to release this Cassette when they released AXS. It’s never going to come though since the 10-50 is their solution for 1x , which if you want to run a 46 or 48 front chainring doesn’t work and all that is is the 10-42 with a 50 tacked on the back so the jumps are no better
Quote Reply
Re: 42 tooth cassette. Sram vs Shimano [redlude97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn’t say it’s weird Shimano doesn’t have a 12-spd gravel cassette, I commented on what I thought would be ideal. Regardless, I don’t limit my 1x setup to just gravel so an 11-spd is more versatile with 10t cog (like SRAM).

Yes, Shimano is pushing 2x GRX. But that doesn’t mean it’s dogma. I’d do a Force mullet build over that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Like Jim noted, yes. SRAM 11-spd (with 10t) is XD Driver. The 12-spd requires and XDR driver, which will also work with 11-spd with extra space (that's what I'm running now). Shimano's 12-spd is the Microspline driver. which I don't believe spaces for 11-spd anything.

The group I'd put on next bike (which doesn't currently exist) is Force 12 with a 10-42 cassette.

Yep, this is what I'm waiting for also - having this available in force AXS would sway me from my 2x system.

why doesnt the 10-50 work with a 46? I was thinking about this build but with a 44t and a 10-50. is there a problem with that one that you know of?
Quote Reply
Re: 42 tooth cassette. Sram vs Shimano [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The chains aren’t long enough- so you could merge two chains but that gets to be a really long chain. I’m not even sure there are 12s 1x chainrings that big available??
Quote Reply