Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge
Quote | Reply
It seems like eveyone on ST is a mega stud. Everytime I turn around there are dudes talking up their FTP's well north of 300W, everyone seems to be able to run a mile under 5 minutes and swim 400m under 5 minutes too.

On the thread about the marathon world record, I noted that Geb's 400m run pace was basically 70 seconds average for 105.2 consecutive 400m "repeats" without stopping. Then I got all these dudes claiming that they could keep up with Geb's pace for 400, 800 or even a mile (4:40ish mile pace....).

So I call bullshit on you guys.

Electronically here at ST, I'd swear that I am back of pack racer, but each time I go to races, depending on the field I end up in the 90th - 98th percentile of racers....and I'm talking all my sports....triathlon, running, XC skiing (we won't say anything about swimming, cause I don't enter swim races).

So here's the deal.

Between now and Sunday, all you guys go to the track. Do whatever warmup you like. Taper as much as you want. Heck, take out your high school spikes. Then line up and pull off your fastest 400m. You can pick inside, outside or lane 4....your choice. Record your time and post here on ST. Show us how studly you really are. All honour system

Who is in? I doubt I can break 70 seconds. I'll be hard pressed to do 75 seconds.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lord, I haven't seen south of 70 seconds since high school track :p I have no problem claiming my very slowness. :D

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev

That is lame. What do we have races for?
Just smile at the posers and move on.

That said, I am making that sub4:30 mile my personal goal for 2009 - bring it on!

cheers
uli

Last edited by: uli: Sep 30, 08 6:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTP's well north of 300W,
Check

everyone seems to be able to run a mile under 5 minutes
hahahahahahahahaha. i can barely run a 200 in 40... BARELY. Oh... and then it's hands on knees sucking wind.

and swim 400m under 5 minutes too.
Oh... check check check checkity check check on that one. ;)

Then I got all these dudes claiming that they could keep up with Geb's pace for 400, 800 or even a mile (4:40ish mile pace....).
Yeah... I laughed at that too. I was like... wha-?!

So I call bullshit on you guys.
hehehehe

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, I'd be in but have a busy week and don't have access to a track nearby (in a safe neighborhood, although that could be motivation to run even faster).

But I ran a 29:03 5-miler on Sunday, so according to the McMillan running calculator I could do a 2:16.9 800m. So I think my prediction that I could last somewhere between 800 and 1200m was correct.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spoil Sport. There's one in every crowd. Now you have gone and ruined Dev's day.

Just joking with ya. You got the credentials to back it up too. Nice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Electronically here at ST, I'd swear that I am back of pack racer,

That's because you have no sense of reality. ;) I kid I kid. face the facts Dev, you are a talented racer. So stop sandbagging and making me feel so damn slow. :)
M~
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only one I can think of on ST that has done all three in the title is Simon Lessing. I'd throw Simon Whitfield in the group of select few. Bjorn likely only meets 2/3. I suspect Stadler only meets two out of three also. Same with Rappstar. Molina and Monty likely did all three in their day...and I suspect Molina could pull off all three today....Monty, what about you?

Seriously though, there were way way too many dudes claiming that they can pull off a 70 second 400m like it is a gimme.

As for races, well, on ST race results don't count. All that matters is what you claim to have done in training when there were no timing chips to record the reality of the performance....maybe most of the dudes on ST are chokers with stage fright who can perform well in private or in the lab, but when sportstats comes out, they are off the back.

OK guys, go to the track and post your 400m times....
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [attybiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figure my lame-assness at running balances out the ability in the other two categories. :)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, this is exactly the type of crap I am calling bullshit on....either do it in real life or stop posting what a calculater virtually says you can do! Virtual results don't count....if you can't find a track, take your bike or car, mark out 400m on your local road and draw chalk marks at every 100m for your splits and you have your track....no need to even slow down and run bends...just a long 400m straightaway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lameness is all relative...all the ST studs who can virtually run 4:15 miles electronically, would dearly kill for real life MarkyV performance....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,
The problem is that you are not using ST approved measuring standards:

FTP:
Find a hill. Ride up it as fast as you can for 1 minute. Record your power. This is your ST-FTP. If you don't have a power meter, ride as hard as you can for 1 minute on a flat or slight downhill and this is your ST avg pace for a 3 hour ride.

Running: Take your best time for 1/2 the distance and multiply by 2. So, for a 70 second 400, you would need to do a 35 second 200m. A running start is allowed. Every race you do is accurately measured, so if you do a "5K" run leg of a triathlon in 18:00, that is your official PR even if the first place guy did it in 12:00 (including transitions).

Swimming: Swim 100 yds max effort with a wetsuit. This is your ST pace for any event you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're calling bullshit on estimating an 800m time based of a a 5 mile race result? I don't think that is too outrageous, unless I have literally no top gear, if I can run 20 consecutive 87sec quarters I don't think a couple 70s is completely out of the realm of possibility.

If I was basing a marathon time off a 5k split I could see your BS call.

I'll try to find a track sometime soon and get back to you.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweeeeeet! LOL

Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
if I can run 20 consecutive 87sec quarters I don't think a couple 70s is completely out of the realm of possibility.
Dude, you _do_ have no idea indeed.

Quote | Reply
Dude....it is all bullshit until you ACTUALLY DO IT....no calculators, no interpolation, no virtual results...do it or shut up....69.999seconds and you're my ST virtual hero....virtual results are exactly the problem that I call bullshit on. I guess Gomez may as well go claim his Olympic gold medal cause he was the "virtual favourite"...
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also ran track in high school and rowed crew in college so have some idea of my body's capabilities.

I'll find a track asap and report back.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is classic.....Slowman needs to post this on "forum rules"....

Poor Lessing and Whitfield....they will have so much competition under the new ST "virtual studliness measuring rules"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
FTP:
Find a hill. Ride up it as fast as you can for 1 minute. Record your power. This is your ST-FTP. If you don't have a power meter, ride as hard as you can for 1 minute on a flat or slight downhill and this is your ST avg pace for a 3 hour ride.

That's excellent :D

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I replied to another poster, I'll find a track asap and report back.

I live in the city, so the road with a 400m straightaway isn't going to work. And I am not going to be running quarters at a high school track in the ghetto.

Does gmaps or any other online program have a feature that can measure to the accuracy of meters? I live in DC and am thinking one of the straightaways along the national mall in between intersections could be 1/4 mile, but we are talking seconds here so I want it to be right on.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Track or it did not happen.
Also, in your case we want a witness (NOT wifey).
I take your time if you make it to NYC. There are some nice tracks in rough hoods for some extra fun.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The only one I can think of on ST that has done all three in the title is Simon Lessing. I'd throw Simon Whitfield in the group of select few. Bjorn likely only meets 2/3. I suspect Stadler only meets two out of three also. Same with Rappstar. Molina and Monty likely did all three in their day...and I suspect Molina could pull off all three today....Monty, what about you?

A 400W FT is something around a 50:00 40km. How many triathletes do you really think can do that?

FWIW, I did a 53.x 400m in a real, honest-to-goodness official track meet in college. On an indoor 200m roundish track (at Penn State). In a decathlon. I also did a 500yd free in a real, honest-to-goodness official swim meet (YMCA Masters Nationals) in which my 400yd split was 4:14; that's about 4:35 for 400m SC.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: Old and Haggard: Sep 30, 08 7:23
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesus f'in Christ. Now I need a witness too? There is no wifey so that wouldn't happen anyway. Trust me, I'll report back honestly, lying to impress some strangers on the internet doesn't do much for me.

Track is going to be tough, I may have a 400m straightaway I can find though. Not going to be in NYC anytime soon. Although, could be doing a beer mile at my brother's house up in CT in late October at a high school track. Hopefully it won't take that long, but if I can't do one on a track between now and then (I travel a lot), I'll run a quarter before we do our beer mile.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [Old and Haggard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Or, 3 more people than NY teams playing postseason baseball Tongue
Quote Reply

Prev Next