Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
3 World Records and 1 World Championship!
Quote | Reply
No mention of this feat?

Denmark broke the world record 3 times in 2 days to take home WC in track 4 km race!

https://cyclingtips.com/...rd-time-in-two-days/

Funny thing is looking at the picture below, it seems like the sleeves are almost too long on all of them (Overlapping quite some).

Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was watching on TV. They damn near lapped the competition.

Must be the helmets (pink)

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God, everyone's going to be wearing those hideous POC helmets soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was MTM on that team? EDIT: i see no he wasn't. it's a pretty talent-thick country when you're a top-10 ITT guy in the world, an elite hour record guy, and can't make this team. of course this is a much shorter discipline.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 28, 20 7:16
Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and they're without their star rider, who broke his leg in a post-season party.

The Danish Domination in the TP is what happens when you marry Dan Bigham's brains (HUUB-Wattbike, now advises the Danish pursuit squad, Jumbo-Visma etc) with world-class physiological talent. They're also running pretty stock equipment - no custom extensions (yet?).

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was watching the world records. Incredible performances. I laughed at how pi$$ed one of them got when the crowd weren't boisterous enough at the finish. Eurosport has great coverage of these.

P.
Last edited by: pgibbo: Feb 28, 20 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, how I wish I knew their average power for that time. Must be insane.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talking about Dan and the strange old POC helmet, something I just posted in the "fun benchmark" thread :

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9ADHoHBci3/

Dan Bigham, a fan of TT, IP, TP, and aero geek, co-founder of the Huub Wattbike track team, collecting medals in UK national track championship and track World Cup, just made an hour test / FTP test on the track :
going 52.631 km with 357w average (probably in a "cold" velodrome, 20°C instead of the usual UCI "race temperature" of 26 or 27°C).

From my calculations, this mean CdA around 0,167
And if my notes are right, he wrote somewhere in 2018 his CdA measured in wind tunnel was .... 0,168, and he was still working to improve it.

So, probably, his CdA is around this value :-)

For 6 feet, 75kg, not a bad CdA : https://teamengland.org/...hletes/daniel-bigham
Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using data from Dan hour run (similar position, helmet, equipment, ...), with nearly as good CdA, low pressure currently in Europe :

at 66km/h the lead out man is probably going around 670w
Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Using data from Dan hour run (similar position, helmet, equipment, ...), with nearly as good CdA, low pressure currently in Europe :

Insane. Amazing fitness.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A guy like Lasse Norman Hansen is probably around FTP 400w, maxVo2 power 500w+

So it is like :

Lactic effort at the start, including few seconds at max power 1000w+
"rest" at max V02 power (500w)
lactic effort (700w)
"rest" at max V02 power
lactic effort
"rest" at max V02 power

so easy to blow out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Masnart wrote:

In this danish article their starting man, Rasmus Lund Pedersen, says that his first pull is "around 900w for 40 seconds in the aero position"

https://www.feltet.dk/nyheder/lund_pedersen_om_ol_maalet_er_metal/?fbclid=IwAR1-yTUurX6PSHZmYyfIkVXHOAqTs4mRExFp6ttamCBqeNQ-mqIbnJhFvaM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
was MTM on that team? EDIT: i see no he wasn't. it's a pretty talent-thick country when you're a top-10 ITT guy in the world, an elite hour record guy, and can't make this team. of course this is a much shorter discipline.

Ya, I was wondering too, but Martin seems to be a very slowtwitch guy and a team pursuit is much more intense. I haven't heard of him even riding an IP.

Actually none of the guys on Denmark's team is a top TTer or even very well known. Team pursuit is definitely its own thing.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Actually none of the guys on Denmark's team is a top TTer or even very well known. Team pursuit is definitely its own thing.

Hansen is an Olympic Champion - pretty sure he is a household name in Denmark and he is definitely well known in the track world.

Johansen - Junior world champion on the road and track

Madsen - Olympic medalist at 18.

Larsen - Olympic medalist at 19, European champion in the points race, winner of the tour of Denmark

Pedersen - medalist in junior world champs road race as a first year junior. Got fed up with cycling, started playing American Football, gained 20kg of muscle, returned to track cycling.

Then there are world tour riders like Casper Pedersen and Michael Mørkøv who also have a team pursuit background. The talent pool for track cycling is indeed deep in Denmark.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Among pro road cyclists all those palmares are quite weak. Domestique level if they even get on a World Tour team. Like I said, team pursuit is its own thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Way too much fast twitch for me. As rruff says, it's really its own game, quite a bit different to a 40k TT or the hour record. It's close to a full sprint the first lap (at least for me!).

I stick to assisting in equipment testing and selection (along with a former rider and Bigham, as mentioned). If nothing unforeseen happens, then unless some of the others pull something extraordinary up their hat, these guys will smoke the competition when the full equipment package is rolled out to them in Tokyo.
Last edited by: MTM: Feb 29, 20 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Among pro road cyclists all those palmares are quite weak. Domestique level if they even get on a World Tour team. Like I said, team pursuit is its own thing.

3/4 are U23 riders. They are young and are barely riding on the road due to track racing. After the Olympics we will see Johansen step up to the World Tour, probably DQS. Rodenberg is a good sprinter so he will also end up in the World Tour. And Lund has barely ridden on the road since his junior days, but if you believe insiders he's a physiological freak. Most of these guys don't care about the World Tour at the moment, it's all about that gold medal in Tokyo.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
God, everyone's going to be wearing those hideous POC helmets soon.

Seeing how they're basically unobtainium at this point, and exceedingly expensive when they do trade hands.

Also, they don't test fast in many conditions or positions. That said, they've certainly found a niche in the minimal-yaw world of the velodrome...
Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are quite old indeed.

They are only efficient in a small window (specific head angle), that is why nobody were using them anymore in TT or Tri, or even track....

...until Dan and the Huub team bring them back in some very specific position, with great success.
You will notice they do not move the head up to look at the road.

If you find the right head angle for the helmet to perfectly work with the rest of the body, the hand, ... and do not need to move the head for all race long, they are great.

If you move the head, or can't be sure the interaction with rest of the body is optimal, forget it :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

1. What cx-rider said: 4/5 guys are u23:s.
2. We are not talking about road cycling.

But, if you look at what former top team pursuit guys have done in road racing, there is a good chance they will be *highly* competitive in pro road in a few years.

That being said, I agree with you that team pursuiting is different from TT-ing and hour records, but the training and capabilities it demands are quite similar to road racing.

(I'm not so sure that you know as much as you think about talent scouting for World Tour teams.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

I listened to an interview with their finishing man, Frederik Rodenberg Madsen. He talks about his final 3.5 lap pull as being "between 650 and 700 watts", so your calculations are spot on!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talking of word records from the cycling world champs

what power do you think Chloe was doing in the 3K? 1.08 for the 1st from a standing start (which i expect is the highest power of the 3), then the next 2 at 1.04 and change each. Excluding the start that is close to 56K/h pace. Brad was estimated to be at 440 to do 54.5K/h in his hour record. Chloe is a bit smaller than Brad, but at 5:9 and 65Kg, not tiny. Could she be averaging close to 500 watts for just over 3 mins?

Amazing that she is as fast as the WR for the team pursuit until early 2012; shortly before they changed to 4K and four person teams; and goes through 3K faster than the best men did the fist 3K of the 4K as recent as the early 90s.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who is the best player in the NBA playoffs?
Quote Reply
Re: 3 World Records and 1 World Championship! [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fb wrote:
Masnart wrote:

In this danish article their starting man, Rasmus Lund Pedersen, says that his first pull is "around 900w for 40 seconds in the aero position"

https://treadmill-direct.com/

Rasmus Lund Pedersen is a Danish track cyclist, who currently rides for UCI Continental team Team ColoQuick.
Quote Reply

Prev Next