Quote | Reply
Including on site spectators? Chicago.

Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Chicago wins in many categories.
On Site Spectators
Total Revenue
It will win total media post event coverage as well.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Option 4: scca Runnoffs spec miata championship.../pink (kinda)

Oh sorry.... Wrong forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will win total media post event coverage as well. //

Not if he actually breaks 2 hours. I would imagine that would be pretty big news, outside of sports too. I can see him on all the talk shows, doubt whoever wins Chicago will be seen outside the city, unless he breaks 2 hours too!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
1. Ironman World Championships
2. Ineos 1:59 Challenge
3. Chicago Marathon

Il Lombardia

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all reality the total viewership of any one of these listed events is incredibly small. People just aren't interested in sports that are largely participatory and frankly any D list Fortnite Youtuber will gain more views. For me, I definitely won't care about the Chicago marathon, the 1:59 challenge sounds interesting and I love Kipolge but seems rather unique. IM will definitely be on my list, but heck I have ton of friends and fellow athletes racing.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that all of the top three are premier league matches. The big matches like Liverpool ManU on sunday pulls in 1M viewers just in GB + about the same in Asia and additional couple 100k in rest of Europe and Americas.

With 40K people on the stadium only Chicago will beat them for on site attendance.

And that is just 1 out of perhaps 5-10big games this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Bathurst 1000 of course
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
SDJ wrote:
1. Ironman World Championships
2. Ineos 1:59 Challenge
3. Chicago Marathon

Il Lombardia

+1
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
Bathurst 1000 of course

Agreed
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would tend to agree. If the greatest marathoner we have ever witnessed breaks 2 hours it will be the biggest news. I do agree with Tony Revis, I don’t think and hope it’s not written as his greatest achievement. His win percentage and his actual victories are much bigger.

The two things Chicago has going for it.
1. It’s a Marathon Major and will receive global coverage.
2. If Mo wins again it will be big news for many reasons. The UK loves him. It’s going to be my 4th time watching him run this year. First three were in London. He’s got quite a following there. Also though he’s forever attached to NOP which will continue to create news around the world.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [EiE_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EiE_ wrote:
My guess is that all of the top three are premier league matches. The big matches like Liverpool ManU on sunday pulls in 1M viewers just in GB + about the same in Asia and additional couple 100k in rest of Europe and Americas.

With 40K people on the stadium only Chicago will beat them for on site attendance.

And that is just 1 out of perhaps 5-10big games this weekend.

Talladega. 175k at the race plus tv coverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Saturday is going to be full for sure. Local 15k running race in the morning, 7am, then try to watch Ineos 1:59 (or the rest of it), then switch directly over to Kona coverage, then go get an hour in the pool before it closes, then mow the lawn. haha. Somewhere in there I have to eat I think.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a good day!

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSU v UF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scotland v. Japan
Sunday morning for a place in the quarter finals.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [EiE_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Sunday Night Football beats all other sports this weekend pretty handedly
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masnart wrote:
My Saturday is going to be full for sure. Local 15k running race in the morning, 7am, then try to watch Ineos 1:59 (or the rest of it), then switch directly over to Kona coverage, then go get an hour in the pool before it closes, then mow the lawn. haha. Somewhere in there I have to eat I think.

Tape some gels onto the mower

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I do agree with Tony Revis, I don’t think and hope it’s not written as his greatest achievement. His win percentage and his actual victories are much bigger. //

Of course it will Dave, how could it not be? Yes, he has a lot of victories in other races, but they all just blend together into a stellar career. They are all pretty much equal on the grand scale of accomplishments. But to break 2 hours, that is a stand alone thing that is going to be huge inside and outside the sport. They will be saying this guy won over a dozen of the big marathons, and HE BROKE 2 HOURS FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! You can hope and think, but mark my words, this is going to be his icing on the cake, up until if and when he can do it in a legit race too...

And of course we will probably get to hear about the million + dollars he earned for it too, largest one day payday ever in running..
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Masnart wrote:

Tape some gels onto the mower

haha. But, if he can't eat while watching the 1:59 and Kona coverage...he's DOING IT WRONG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On another note, when is the 2 hour challenge anyway, here in CA? I read that it was supposed to be 11PM eastern, so 9PM here? And they built in some delay time too, does anyone know if they have already used that, or when they make the decision to run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure who wins viewership. But I can say that none of the three will gain a fraction of the notice they deserve. Outside the most rabid 1% of fans of the particular sports, nobody will notice that they happened. I can say with absolute certainty, no matter what is accomplished at any of these three events, NOBODY at my workplace will even know they happened on Monday morning. To be honest, until I saw this thread, Kona was the only one I had thought about -- and I wasn't completely sure when it was happening.

Among the local cyclists and triathletes? Maybe 5% to 10% will know that Kona was this weekend. They won't know the results. Nobody will know anything about the other two. (If it's not Boston or New York, it's not a marathon worth following.)

Sad, but true. Our area is saturated with participants in cycling, marathon, triathlon. Almost none of those participants will know these three events happened. Probably none will see coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The two hour challenge will get some mention on national news (Nike’s marketing machine will ensure this). Chicago may get a mention if it’s a slow news day and there’s some human interest story to present. Unless something bad happens, IMWC doesn’t exist outside of Kona. Heck, I don’t think I could even name five male and female pros anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Events This Weekend Which Has Largest Viewership [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
The two hour challenge will get some mention on national news (Nike’s marketing machine will ensure this). Chicago may get a mention if it’s a slow news day and there’s some human interest story to present. Unless something bad happens, IMWC doesn’t exist outside of Kona. Heck, I don’t think I could even name five male and female pros anymore.

With the closure of Nike Oregon Project you better believe Nike will push any other story containing their name up the headlines if they can. I bet they would promote Kona at this stage if it helps avoid further scrutiny at this point. Actually makes me wonder about the timing of the 1:59 Challenge. If Mo wins in Chicago his connection with NOP will get dragged up again (rightly in my opinion as there is no way he didn't now about Salazar's background before signing up) but headlines for running are extremely limited.
Quote Reply

Prev Next