Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

3T Aero Handlebars convert to triathlon ready bike
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone

I've got a 3t aeronova team handlebars with the 3t integra garmin mount stem on my s-works venge

I'm doing my first 70.3 in december and hoping to go sub 5 so want to concentrate on aero as it's a flat course

Can anyone reccomend clip on aero bars for this set up, the bars say they are clip on compatible? Also should i get a new shorter stem?

To get my seat further forward too? Do i need to do this and is it possible on the s-works venge with the aero seatpost?

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Aero Handlebars convert to triathlon ready bike [matttomlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matttomlin wrote:
Hello everyone

I've got a 3t aeronova team handlebars with the 3t integra garmin mount stem on my s-works venge

I'm doing my first 70.3 in december and hoping to go sub 5 so want to concentrate on aero as it's a flat course

Can anyone reccomend clip on aero bars for this set up, the bars say they are clip on compatible? Also should i get a new shorter stem?

To get my seat further forward too? Do i need to do this and is it possible on the s-works venge with the aero seatpost?

Thanks for your help.
1) lowest bars possible. Probably a Profile Design Subsonic if you're buying new.

2) No, the stock length stem is probably fine. The only reason for a shorter stem is if you can't get your hips forward enough, and if you need a shorter stem you might as well just ride it in road bike form. A longer stem is useful if you can get a really steep angled one (because it won't actually be longer once you cosine the angle)

3) Yes, seat as far forward as possible. Can you flip that post? Do that. Get an ISM saddle because a) you'll be able to sit low and forward on it, and b) they have long rails and you sit on the tip, which effectively makes for a steeper seatpost angle.
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Aero Handlebars convert to triathlon ready bike [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks I'll give the seatpost a spin if i can

Will the profile design subsonic fit over the 3t aero handlebars? The space seems quote tight and the pictures dont show how small the mounting area of the bars.
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Aero Handlebars convert to triathlon ready bike [matttomlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you please post a picture of your current set up and we should be able to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put a set of Profile Design T2+ aluminum aerobars on my size 54 bike, as well as an Adamo seat. I moved the seat all the way forward, and even though the PD bars are adjustable enough and I could have made my 110 stem work, I shortened it to an 80 since it was only $30.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same 3T bars and use a pair of clip on aero bars when I do a TT or triathlon.

As you said, the space to clip them on is pretty narrow. It's even more critical if you want to tilt the bars up any. The flat part of the tops kinda blends into the round area and doesn't leave much room. I use one of the Profile Design brackets but I can't remember which one but I think it's the J4. Most of them would work.

I do make sure to use a bit of carbon paste when I put them on a torque wrench and I've never had them slip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which venge is it? Any chance you can buy the current venge stem, which will allow you to use the specialized clip on aerobars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your help so far, I've spun the seatpost round, which gets my eyes much more over the stem which is better.

Any suggestions for the clip onbars with the space shown below?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, it will have to be a clip on with a narrow clamp.

For example I have these (old model) 3T clip ons, which are like the Subsonic:

and the clamp is 35mm wide.

Not sure you have that much width there, looks like only about 20mm beside the stem. You will probably have to choose a clip on that sits above the base bar a bit, like the newer 3T ones (below), unfortunately it will add to your pad stack. (If you change stem to something aggressive you can bring it lower)

Quote Reply
Re: 3T Aero Handlebars convert to triathlon ready bike [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you able to find some that fit?
Quote Reply
Re: 3T Aero Handlebars convert to triathlon ready bike [Meek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump. Still interested
Quote Reply