Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

3TTT Ahero
Quote | Reply
Recently snaped the Arm rest completely off the aerobars in a half IM. The rest is held on by only one screw that receives alot of stress when in the rests over rough roads. Anyone have a similar problem with these bars? Is there a way to find stronger bolts. Or shold I just get new aerobars.

John Bogdanski
Quote Reply
Re: 3TTT Ahero [JohnKarol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I'd stay away from 3T parts. Funny, I had a similar experience with a 3T stem. I was in the middle of a sprint (back in the bike racing days) and all of a sudden, my stem bolt snapped, sending my handlebars through my front wheel. Well, when that bar finally came around to my fork, it sent me over the bike and my water bottles shot out like slingshot (my water bottle won the sprint). This could be two things: (1) The bike builder over-tighted the bolts on both of our equipment (which adds stress to the bolts) or (2) it was the companies choice in material. I think 3T (and I certainly can be wrong on this) uses Al bolts. Now it could be the build job (a real posibility), but I didn't wait to find out. Just moved to a more trustworthy product that I used up until that point. I'd report it to your LBS and move on to the next product.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 3TTT Ahero [JohnKarol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bolt are not Aluminum,but they are a little short,before using mine i found longer bolts but you can not go to long or they will hit the tubing inside,your threads might be stripped,i am sure the bolt did not break?? but the threads stripped and let the bolt come out?? This can be fixed,by helicoiling it if it is stripped or drilled to the next size larger
Quote Reply
Re: 3TTT Ahero [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't sure about the alluminum. I looked it up though - they were titanium and subject to stripping. But in my case, the darned bolt snapped clean in two. Half was in the stem the other half was still wedged in the stem cap.

Below are two exerpts from roadbikereview.com on the 3T Zepp Stem: I had the 2002 Cannondale R3000 Si...

~~~~~~~~

Cannondale Corp. of Bethel, CT is recalling about 1,300 2002 and 2003 model year bikes with stems that can break, leading to loss of control. Cannondale says it heard of four breaks and one minor injury. The company warns that more serious injuries could occur, however.

The stems are black with "3T ZEPP XL" printed in white on the sides. The faceplate also reads "3T" in white. Tecno Tubo Torino of Italy made the stems. The following models are included: 2002 R3000 Si, Double; 2003 R3000 Si, Double; 2002 R3000 Si, Triple; 2003 R3000 Si, Triple; 2002 R4000 Si; 2003 R6000 Si, Saeco Team Replica; 2002 R5000 Si; 2002 Black Lightning; and 2002 Chain Gang.

The problem stems (no pun intended) from the fact that the two recessed holes for the bolts in the stem that clamp the handlebar in place weren't drilled deeply enough. The bolts, therefore, could strip or come loose.

~~~~~~~~

I've had it with this stem. I used my first one for nearly a year before the titanium screws that fasten the face plate broke causing me to crash. Foolishly I bought a 2nd one because I no longer trusted the other stem. I used the new one for 1 ride. I loosened the face plate to adjust my handbar position. When I re-tightened the screws (using a torque wrench) the screw stripped the threads out of the stem, thereby ruining the stem. This stem is dangerous and unreliable. The 2 screw system to fasten the face plate is flawed and prone to failure. The titanium screws are also too weak to put in such a vital location. I just purchased my 3rd stem in a year. I bought a Stella Azzurra viceversa stem. This stem uses 4 steel screw to fasten the face plate and the face plate itself seems much more substantial. I hope it lasts longer than my previous 3T stems.

~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Last edited by: muppet: Sep 9, 03 9:19
Quote Reply