Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [jutnut627] [ In reply to ]

I was 1 of 2 RD's for this race and it was our inaugural event. He absolutely was not the first out of the water I can attest to that as my friend and swim coach crushed everyone. The waves were Men then Women/relays. WE HAD NO BIKE NUMBERS and everything was hand timed! There was no runners from Dartmouth that competed. We never sent out any email DQ'in any one ever as this is a race that we flat out tell people, if you make a mistake we will tell you but we want everyone to have a good experience, to learn and to be safe! There was no lead motorcycle that year it was my Dad in a car! And the run is all out on the road - no woods! Plus is was a triangle swim!

Did more research, he never registered for the race. And he actually fabricated the results to show the dnf

Here are the actual results:
http://resultsarchive.active.com/uploads/txt/95506.txt

Here is his blog post of the results:
http://heathartfordextendedareatriathletes.yuku.com/topic/2348#.UA6cwXZNFLs

Unbelievable. We all sometimes take ourselves too seriously, but to go as far as making up a story and fabricating results to impress people? The majority of our friends are just happy we finished a race and had fun.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]

Actually, I'd rather he just lie about doing well rather than go and cheat. But the result fabrication is more embarrassing.

I know a guy that used to lie like that. Okay, not quite to that extent, but probably only because this was pre-internet so you didn't have to fabricate results to post it to your blog:). He did it for years. I think it's just a way of life. You get used to lying so much you don't even think twice about it, long after no one is fooled by it. Only way he stopped doing it was when everyone got sick of his shit and just called him on it all the time. After enough embarrassing moments he finally got the picture. Maybe this guy will do the same.

I think there must be some sort of psychological disorder that causes people to do this. This guy can be added to the list of serial, premeditated cheaters who plan ahead and fabricate stories/results to augment their cheating:
  • newbz
  • Kip Litton
  • Eulorge Melaine
  • David Carbone

None of these guys seem to be trying to Rosie Ruiz and actually win races or money, so what is the reward part of the risk/reward for doing this? I really think there's got to be some mental disorder that makes people gravitate towards this behavior, because it is just so illogical.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [kny] [ In reply to ]

kny wrote:
I think there must be some sort of psychological disorder that causes people to do this. This guy can be added to the list of serial, premeditated cheaters who plan ahead and fabricate stories/results to augment their cheating:

• newbz
  • Kip Litton
  • Eulorge Melaine
  • David Carbone

None of these guys seem to be trying to Rosie Ruiz and actually win races or money, so what is the reward part of the risk/reward for doing this? I really think there's got to be some mental disorder that makes people gravitate towards this behavior, because it is just so illogical.

To bad we cant get them all to race in one event. I wonder how short the event would be or how many course records they would set.

I noticed fellow racing friends fluff times too. When you ask how a race went they will cut minutes off. I don't know who they think they are fooling? Or why they feel the need to? I always check out all of our times after a race! Afterall we are all out their to have fun. No ones getting sponsors or paychecks.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [sportstats] [ In reply to ]

Additional nuance: as he passed my location on a bike course (first hill after the Ausable River bridge, about mile after the Jump Towers), he loudly and hurriedly asked me "How much time they are ahead of me?" It was asked in anxious but deliberate way. I replied that two in front of him had about minute and two minutes on him but Andy and Peter Jacobs were long gone. He got up out of saddle and started to sprint up the hill. Looking from the back, I did not see his unfolded race bib (so no hint that he was AG) but his climbing form was an immediate clue that something was off. I kept looking as he made his way to the top of the hill... very inefficient, clumsy, high effort form... and I wondered how pro card athletes nowadays can ride with such bad form and bad tactical approach. Almost immediately, a woman (non-racer) on a commuting bike went by, saw me still looking at that guy, and volunteered "He is no pro - you should had seen how he rode through town." Not sure what she meant - riding speed or form or seeing his race bib. IMHO, this was not a behavior of deliberate cheater or honestly confused athlete... this is more of the mental health issue. DSM has half a dozen delusional mental disorders listed, maybe this is simple case of delusion of grandeur...

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [kcb203] [ In reply to ]

Here we go with the video review debate :-P

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]

Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
The third guy is French and not from Quebec.Normally I wouldn't care about one of those garlic munching, snail suckers but I know Romain and he is a very proud little Frenchman and a great guy to boot.

===

Ahh good to know that. I will correct my post.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]

ThisIsIt wrote:
bricklayer wrote:
But lets say they make it all the way to the finish and collect their finishers medal.

Do people actually care about finishers medals?

What's the point, you know if you finished the race or not and the rest of the world could care less?

My 5yo (technically according to her 5 and 3/4) daughter does. She likes to look at mine for about 1min, and she has 2 that she hung up in her room. Mine sit under my workout towels in my basement. I think, or they may be in a box.

-- Aaron Davidson

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [sportstats] [ In reply to ]

I hope you are doing this for IMMT. Given the 2 out and backs on the run (the first had a mat) and the bike someone could easily pull a fast one.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]

Not really directed at you, but the entire thread... but why is it so hard to get an update on what happened to this guy? Same goes for the thread with the couple pacing each other and Eulogene (whatever is name was) guy who are all accused of cheating?

If these people allegedly cheated in such a public way, why do we not have concrete response to how it was dealt with?

(I apologize if we do and I missed it)

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [lmicah3] [ In reply to ]

I reached out to some of my CT friends and one if them knows him. Apparently is exploits are well known amongst the greater Haryford area triathletes.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project

lmicah3 wrote:
Not really directed at you, but the entire thread... but why is it so hard to get an update on what happened to this guy? Same goes for the thread with the couple pacing each other and Eulogene (whatever is name was) guy who are all accused of cheating?

If these people allegedly cheated in such a public way, why do we not have concrete response to how it was dealt with?

(I apologize if we do and I missed it)

It is hard to get updates because I think the WTC will not reveal to the public or to other race participants the sanctions or penalties they could impose to AG athletes for violations. It is a private matter between the WTC and the athlete. Only the anecdotal stories (like what we post on ST) will tell us something.

Move along now. Nothing to see here. Move along ...

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. It wasn't until this year that I start realizing how common these types of behaviors are becoming. It's a shame.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [Dave in Canada] [ In reply to ]

Dave in Canada wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

SO, unless the rule is no mat time, no finish time, period, the extra mats still may not do much.

That won't work on its own...I have a race result for a marathon where my 25km split does not register a time...trust me I was not cheating in my 4:28 marathon (well perhaps cheating death, but not the course). But a missed split time can help calculate average pace through sections of the course.

Still I agree...more mats are important and if someone's time is too good to believe and there are missed time mats then that can be further evidence of cheating. For example if a course has 6 mats (start-25mi-50mi-75mi-100mi-finish), and some racer misses mat 3 and also happens to ride a faster pace between mat 2-4 than he did from mat 1-2 or 4-6 then there is pretty good evidence that he cut the course.

If someone else has no split at mat 3 but his average pace mat1-2 and 4-6 is pretty much his average pace for the whole course then he likely didn't cut the course.

Dave

I guess the point is to let folks know, no mat, no results. Then you put it upon the racer to come and protest if a split is missing. If one can go through the splits, and as you say, support that a timing mat did not
register, but the paces all seem correct, then great, you put the result in. But, again, many folks know of some top racers who missed an out mat, and no way does their total time support them having to have done the entire course. But, no one wants to talk about it openly.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [dmounts] [ In reply to ]

dmounts wrote:
In a pool a lap is ONE length.

Thank You

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]

alittleslow wrote:
Did more research, he never registered for the race. And he actually fabricated the results to show the dnf

Here are the actual results:
http://resultsarchive.active.com/uploads/txt/95506.txt

Here is his blog post of the results:
http://heathartfordextendedareatriathletes.yuku.com/topic/2348#.UA6cwXZNFLs

You have to love the outraged comments at the bottom of the race report.

wait. is this the same guy from the :38 minute swim? I'm confused.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]

Here's what he posted before the race on the HEAT Forum (http://heathartfordextendedareatriathletes.yuku.com/...7-24-11-Good-Journey). Thought it was interesting:

TEAM HEAT:

I want to begin this message by saying goodbye to HEAT or more appropriately good journey as I will be joining the dark side at Bethel Cycle. It will also provide you the opportunity to remove my name from the HEAT team roster. As most of you are aware I am in closer proximity to the Bethel shop. All my open water swims, rides & runs and purchasing of my tri stuff have been done through BC. It just makes sense logistically. More importantly, I wanted to tell the HEAT family I will be taking some time off after IMLP to amend some health issues. I have been working with a great support team & health staff since the end of 2010 & taking the appropriate therapies to date. To say the workouts and racing have been challenging thus far in 2011 would be an understatement. It has been challenging. But there was no way I wasn’t doing IMLP. I love this race! The atmosphere, the crowds, the excitement!! It is the Tour de France for Ironman!! Yes the healthcare community said I’m nuts & not to do the race, but that was not in the cards for me. So with that said, here is my letter to the HEAT Team that will be racing IMLP…..

Well it’s that time. The Ironman!!! They announced today bib#’s on the IMLP web site. There was some statistic either from IM or USA Triathlon I can’t remember which one it was that referenced that less than 1% of the population competes in an IM. That’s a pretty amazing statistic & your one of that 1%. Pat yourself on the back. All the training is complete & we head into our taper with some key workouts to keep us loose. I am so ready to take on IMLP! I have my race plan & now I’m going to race that plan. I’m not going to dismiss or divert from the plan. Just go out there & do it. There are going to be things that are out of my control. Weather for example. Can’t control it, so I’ll let it come to me & I will deal with it. I built the vehicle, nurtured it & now it is time to execute it on race day. Flat tires! Ugh! Again can’t control but it happens as I’m all too familiar with from last year’s race. Below are my thoughts for race day & some things that I will keep in mind & visualize throughout the day.

• Swim: It’s going to be a long day & no IM has ever been won as a result of the swim. Swim within your ability & the rest will take care of itself. The swim in an IM is also a contact sport given there will be over 2,800 athletes swimming too. Accept that there will be contact prior to the start. Don’t take it personally. No one is trying to do it on purpose its just reality when you have all these bodies jocking for position in a small lake.
  • Bike. When you come out of the water there is going to be a lot of people & excitement. Hey you’re a rock star enjoy the moment & smile for the cameras. Stay in control & let the HR start to come down as you prepare to mount your bike. As you start the bike & start to climb out of LP people will be flying by you. Good, let them. You got your own race to race. If Jimmy wants to be the king of one of the hill climbs let him. If it feels like you are going backward. Great!!! Stay within your HR zone & don’t get catch up in someone else’s race. You will see them later.
  • Nutrition. Dr. D provided a great summation of the value of proper nutrition on the HEAT website. Follow it!!! Don’t drink or eat anything that you did not test & use in training. Let me say that again for us ADAH types don’t drink or eat anything that you did not test & use in training. As simple as this may sound how my stories have you read & testimonials from people that blew their IM race as a result of improper nutrition or using something new on race day. Also aid stations are not buffet tables. If you didn’t test what’s on the buffet table in training, don’t put it in your mouth!!
  • Run. Here is where the race starts. If I executed my race plan & nutrition I will now be passing Jimmy & hundred’s of other racers who chose a racing rout down the darkened path. I understand there will be dark moments in the marathon & I will deal with it when it comes to me. I know I will be vulnerable & exposed to its pain. But I will take it on. I will be thinking about my family, friends & HEAT teammates who have inspired me to keep moving forward no matter what. And that I am grateful for. And that it what will get me through it.
  • The FINISH. There is no finish line in any sport I ever entered that has such an amazing finish as the Ironman. The atmosphere of the crowds pulls you in & any pain or discomfort you may have had disappeared for a moment as you take it all in. The moment your feet hit the carpet you hear all the excitement of the crowds & you feel the crowd’s vibration as you run to the finishing chute. Then you hear your name being announced by Mike Reilly and the words “You are an Ironman!” It doesn’t get any better than that!!!

Be safe out there & all the very best. Have a great race & see you at the finishing line.

David

@kburnsgallagher
http://www.somerandomthursday.com

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]

SpicedRum wrote:
I think it is. If so it's kind of pathetic

When your legs get tired, run with your heart
http://tritofinishchris.blogspot.com/

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [kaburns1214] [ In reply to ]

Seems like the health issues were mental not physical.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project

That was for last year I think.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]

SpicedRum wrote:

Yes.

Team ZOOT

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [--] [ In reply to ]

-- wrote:
That was for last year I think.

You are correct. My bad.

@kburnsgallagher
http://www.somerandomthursday.com

To answer the question how he was dealt with. I staff member from the race told me they pulled him over on the course and took his chip, then sent him on his merry way to ride his bike. Not sure where he ended up after that.

Apparently this is his new tri club.

http://bethelcycle.com/...rt-inc-club-pg45.htm

Prev Next