Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [Herbert] [ In reply to ]

Herbert wrote:

What puzzles me is "do you have to cheat exactly the same way the following year so you can compare times?"
H

Or find an even bigger section of the course to cut to 'improve' your time, lol. I'd be genuinly interested to speak to someone who has done this just to try and see what the rationale is behind it as I can't fathom it on so many levels.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]

Did he have a chick with bloody knees running with him?

So what happens to this guy? Just DQ or is there more for arguing with and disregarded officials?

I was working bike-in security and saw him being brought back off the bike course. We cheered the officials.
Last edited by: BrianRunsPhilly: Jul 24, 12 5:26

It's sad when your not even good at cheating.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [knewbike] [ In reply to ]

So did this guy ever fess up and admit he cheated? Or did he insist he swam the full course even after being pulled from the race?
By the way, I googled his name and saw a race report he wrote from a race he got DQ'd from in 2010....see below. something really odd about this guy....

On Sunday 6/27 did this tri in Hopewell Junction, NY since my wife was doing a school charity event in one of the neighboring towns. After doing my long ride / run brick on Saturday, I felt pretty good & ready to go. Also it helped that it was a later start (9:00am). I dropped off my wife at her event & I was off to Red Wing Park.

The course was a 500 yard swim, 9 mile bike (out & back) and 3 mile run (the last mile through the woods). Since this was a ridiculously short swim (rectangle swim course) I wore no wet suit & there were only two waves (men 1st & woman / 1st timers 2nd). I decided I was just going to go hard & hammer away.

Wave went off & I immediately sprinted to the stay in the front & I noticed I did not see anyone in front of me. I didn’t think anything of it. Before I knew it I was running on the beach. It wasn’t until I was heading to the transition that I heard the RD yelling on the bullhorn first man out of the water in the HEAT trisuit. Holy crap!!! Grabbed my bike & headed out of transition. As I hit the pavement to get on my bike, there was a motorcycle waiting for me. Never have I been in this position & the two guys on the motorcycle said “Lets GO”!! I actually stood there for a second until people started yelling at me GO, GO, GO!!!! So off I go on the bike. As I hit the turnaround & started heading back is when I started to see people. I put my head down & just hammered back to the transition. I also noticed one of the guys on the motorcycle kept looking back at me giving me the stink eye. More to come on this stay tuned. As I hopped off my bike, I noticed there were no other bikes on the racks. Threw my bike on the rack, put on my running shoes & off I go. As I hit the 1 mile marker is when the guy who won the race came flying by me as if I was standing still. Come to find out he is a colligate runner @ Dartmouth! As I crossed the finish line, I was grabbed by the elbow by the RD asking where my race number was??? I looked down at my race belt & there was no race number. Also come to find out the race number on my bike came off as well. He told me I was disqualified for not having a number on my “bike or persons”. I said you got to be kidding me!!! It was at this point it is not worth it to argue any further. The RD was not going to change his mind. I even received an e-mail from the RD the next day telling me they were removing my name from the results. After reviewing the USAT rules with my coach the rules indicate that if there is no race number there would only be a time penalty violation not a total disqualification. Below are the results, prior to removing my name from the results. That was a hard lesson to learn.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]

Here's where you have to get into the science of it. Are mats 100% accurate, all of the time, never missing a chip regardless of stride, number of athlete crossing, where the chip is located, under a wet sock, ground conditions under the mat, interference objects nearby? Can it be stated that, at a given mat on a particular day, that every other athlete who finished the race had mat time(s), except for one athlete in particular?

I don't know the accuracy of the mats under various conditions, but let's say it's 99%. Is a 1% error rate sufficient to disqualify someone, especially if their time for the run leg reasonable? We need to be careful not to be too reliant on technology. Look at the margins of error that we were talking about back on the subject of whether GPS is close enough to use for drafting.

Timers and RDs may not be able to say no split time, no finish, but it seems like a way to provide additional evidence if some other events suggest someone cut the course.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [iJen0311] [ In reply to ]

iJen0311 wrote:
Tri_biker wrote:
Why do you say that?

Because you swim one loop, get out and run and start a second loop. There's not much to stop people from doing one loop if all they desired was a finisher's medal.

I personally don't think there is alot of cheating at that race. There is a timing mat on the beach on the way to the second loop and a timing mat for those who have finished their second lap.

I suppose someone could time their first lap so that its believeable to the crowd and race officials at the time and continue the race at the moment. But I'm sure they would notice before the race is over that they only completed one lap of the swim and deal with them before the finishers mat & medal.

But lets say they make it all the way to the finish and collect their finishers medal. It seems like alot of hassle of time and money to get just a finishers medal. Entry into an IM race is around what? $625ish? Travel and lodging on the cheap side if you are able to drive probably adds another $600-$800. Plus the time that it takes to travel, the joy of waking up to get down to the start area in time. Yeah I guess SOMEONE might consider that, but it just doesn't seem very reasonable.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]

bricklayer wrote:
But lets say they make it all the way to the finish and collect their finishers medal.

Do people actually care about finishers medals?

What's the point, you know if you finished the race or not and the rest of the world could care less?

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [prattzc] [ In reply to ]

As a volunteer, I watched the first lap from the start-staging area standing and took a video of some portions of the swim. It was indeed crowded and there were a lot of swimmers on the left side of the buoys. From experience the kayakers tolerate the swimmers on the left side of the buoys as long as the swimmers don't veer too far in (sometimes we get lost) and for those that doo veer too far in, they kayakers nudge those swimmers back closer to the cable. Happened a lot on Sunday and it was interesting to watch the kayakers (there were a LOT of them) from the side considering the only time I've experienced this was as a participant. Having said that, I cannot imagine how the kayakers can let someone cut the course in the middle. If that really happened, it would have happened at the far point and not at the very center.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [TJL3] [ In reply to ]

That is bizarre. I guess it's simple enough to forget to throw on your race belt, but even at the smallest, dinkiest, local races I've done they don't let your bike intro transition without a number on it.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [sportstats] [ In reply to ]

sportstats wrote:
Yep, we are adding more mats just to catch anyone cheating....we had timing mats at every turn around.

We could not have all of them LIVE to http://www.ironman.com because LP has no cell reception on some locations like the Turn on Hazelton, the Turn on River road but everything else was covered.

You should see the string of emails and call that went out to catch that guy, 3 of my crew tried to stop him and he kept yelling he did 2 laps.

Jimmy R. stopped him at the first station on the bike, Jimmy made him return to Transition and I got the chip back around 10am...

One thing is certain, the volunteers made sure that the swimmers getting out of the first lap passed underneath the air chute where the mats were located as they started the second swim lap. At the early part, there were was one male pro who got out of the water (perhaps a little dazed) and run immediately toward the left and almost missed passing underneath the air chute. But the volunteers immediately got him back on track and they made sure that error did not happen again.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [Gandalf] [ In reply to ]

Nope Weston
http://ironman.com/...r=2003#axzz21XukTjnU
WESTON, JOHNUSA00:45:1905:27:4904:14:4910:33:18461

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]

I have to say that after watching the swim on Sunday, IF I ever went back to racing Placid, I would start inside and stay inside. 2009 I went far right. 2011 (without wetsuit) I went in the middle front.

I guess swimming in the Hudson in 2 weeks I won't have that problem.

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [TimJ] [ In reply to ]

TimJ wrote:
Marc is the best in the business!

X100.

@rhyspencer

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [BrianRunsPhilly] [ In reply to ]

BrianRunsPhilly wrote:
So what happens to this guy? Just DQ or is there more for arguing with and disregarded officials?

I was working bike-in security and saw him being brought back off the bike course. We cheered the officials.

I was a T1 Tent volunteer and our Captain allowed us to watch the swim start. We stayed in the beach for about half an hour and, after watching the first 25 or so pro swimmers finish their first lap, we rushed back to the T1 Tent. While in T1, we saw Andy Potts and Pete Jacobs (the first two out of the water) do their transition and it was amazing because they didn't even sit and were in the tent for 30 seconds at most . As T1 volunteers we were cautioned not to interfere with the Pros as they had their own routine. We were supposed to just stand 10 feet away and await any instructions from the Pros in case they needed any help. So that was our overall attitude as Potts and Jacobs came in. Andy definitely knew what to do as he was running peeling his wetsuit off each leg and headed straight to the last seat in the tent closest to the exit. He didn't say a word and left his bag and wetsuit there for us to handle. Pete also didn't sit and peeled his wetsuit as my friend stood close by. He left with a "Can you take care of this for me Mate?" and then rushed out.

... and then the M52 guy came in third into the tent. We were all kind of shocked, but we assumed he was a good swimmer. No one from the beach called us to stop him, but we didn't have any formal communication lines to the beach. Maybe our captain did but he didn't tell us anything about stoping anyone. Unlike Potts and Jacobs, the M52 guy came in with his stuff, sat in the second row from the entrance and started doing his routine. He slowly got his stuff out of the bag and took time to put on his socks and shoes. Got his helmet and shades and was definitely not in a rush. Kind of like in a pensive state. As I watched, I was thinking "C'mon guy move your ass! For someone who comes into this tent in third place, you are surprisingly quite slow doing this routine. Heck even I was faster than you in T1 when I did IMLP in 2010 and 2011." It probably took him about four or five minutes.

When he finally left the tent, the fourth guy came in (I believe the French guy who came in third overall) and he was in a mad rush and was yelling in his beautiful thick French accent "Do yuuu know who that guy waz? Who waz that guy in front of me? Whoo waz heee!???" and then he rushed out in pursuit.

The fifth guy took a while so all of us in T1 where talking about the age grouper and how fast a swimmer he was. We were still talking about it two hours later when all the swimmers finally left for the bike portion. .

Little did we know.

Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Jul 24, 12 8:22

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [TJL3] [ In reply to ]

So did this guy ever fess up and admit he cheated? Or did he insist he swam the full course even after being pulled from the race?
By the way, I googled his name and saw a race report he wrote from a race he got DQ'd from in 2010....see below. something really odd about this guy....

On Sunday 6/27 did this tri in Hopewell Junction, NY since my wife was doing a school charity event in one of the neighboring towns. After doing my long ride / run brick on Saturday, I felt pretty good & ready to go. Also it helped that it was a later start (9:00am). I dropped off my wife at her event & I was off to Red Wing Park.

The course was a 500 yard swim, 9 mile bike (out & back) and 3 mile run (the last mile through the woods). Since this was a ridiculously short swim (rectangle swim course) I wore no wet suit & there were only two waves (men 1st & woman / 1st timers 2nd). I decided I was just going to go hard & hammer away.

Wave went off & I immediately sprinted to the stay in the front & I noticed I did not see anyone in front of me. I didn’t think anything of it. Before I knew it I was running on the beach. It wasn’t until I was heading to the transition that I heard the RD yelling on the bullhorn first man out of the water in the HEAT trisuit. Holy crap!!! Grabbed my bike & headed out of transition. As I hit the pavement to get on my bike, there was a motorcycle waiting for me. Never have I been in this position & the two guys on the motorcycle said “Lets GO”!! I actually stood there for a second until people started yelling at me GO, GO, GO!!!! So off I go on the bike. As I hit the turnaround & started heading back is when I started to see people. I put my head down & just hammered back to the transition. I also noticed one of the guys on the motorcycle kept looking back at me giving me the stink eye. More to come on this stay tuned. As I hopped off my bike, I noticed there were no other bikes on the racks. Threw my bike on the rack, put on my running shoes & off I go. As I hit the 1 mile marker is when the guy who won the race came flying by me as if I was standing still. Come to find out he is a colligate runner @ Dartmouth! As I crossed the finish line, I was grabbed by the elbow by the RD asking where my race number was??? I looked down at my race belt & there was no race number. Also come to find out the race number on my bike came off as well. He told me I was disqualified for not having a number on my “bike or persons”. I said you got to be kidding me!!! It was at this point it is not worth it to argue any further. The RD was not going to change his mind. I even received an e-mail from the RD the next day telling me they were removing my name from the results. After reviewing the USAT rules with my coach the rules indicate that if there is no race number there would only be a time penalty violation not a total disqualification. Below are the results, prior to removing my name from the results. That was a hard lesson to learn. On Sunday 6/27 did this tri in Hopewell Junction, NY since my wife was doing a school charity event in one of the neighboring towns. After doing my long ride / run brick on Saturday, I felt pretty good & ready to go. Also it helped that it was a later start (9:00am). I dropped off my wife at her event & I was off to Red Wing Park.

Wave went off & I immediately sprinted to the stay in the front & I noticed I did not see anyone in front of me. I didn’t think anything of it. Before I knew it I was running on the beach. It wasn’t until I was heading to the transition that I heard the RD yelling on the bullhorn first man out of the water in the HEAT trisuit. Holy crap!!! Grabbed my bike & headed out of transition. As I hit the pavement to get on my bike, there was a motorcycle waiting for me. Never have I been in this position & the two guys on the motorcycle said “Lets GO”!! I actually stood there for a second until people started yelling at me GO, GO, GO!!!! So off I go on the bike. As I hit the turnaround & started heading back is when I started to see people. I put my head down & just hammered back to the transition. I also noticed one of the guys on the motorcycle kept looking back at me giving me the stink eye. More to come on this stay tuned. As I hopped off my bike, I noticed there were no other bikes on the racks. Threw my bike on the rack, put on my running shoes & off I go. As I hit the 1 mile marker is when the guy who won the race came flying by me as if I was standing still. Come to find out he is a colligate runner @ Dartmouth! As I crossed the finish line, I was grabbed by the elbow by the RD asking where my race number was??? I looked down at my race belt & there was no race number. Also come to find out the race number on my bike came off as well. He told me I was disqualified for not having a number on my “bike or persons”. I said you got to be kidding me!!! It was at this point it is not worth it to argue any further. The RD was not going to change his mind. I even received an e-mail from the RD the next day telling me they were removing my name from the results. After reviewing the USAT rules with my coach the rules indicate that if there is no race number there would only be a time penalty violation not a total disqualification. Below are the results, prior to removing my name from the results. That was a hard lesson to learn.

I was 1 of 2 RD's for this race and it was our inaugural event. He absolutely was not the first out of the water I can attest to that as my friend and swim coach crushed everyone. The waves were Men then Women/relays. WE HAD NO BIKE NUMBERS and everything was hand timed! There was no runners from Dartmouth that competed. We never sent out any email DQ'in any one ever as this is a race that we flat out tell people, if you make a mistake we will tell you but we want everyone to have a good experience, to learn and to be safe! There was no lead motorcycle that year it was my Dad in a car! And the run is all out on the road - no woods! Plus is was a triangle swim!

Did more research, he never registered for the race. And he actually fabricated the results to show the dnf

Here are the actual results:
http://resultsarchive.active.com/uploads/txt/95506.txt

Here is his blog post of the results:
http://heathartfordextendedareatriathletes.yuku.com/topic/2348#.UA6cwXZNFLs

Notice how this line has been replaced and that this gentleman is no where to be seen in his version of the results?
3 Matthew Degennaro 130 44 Hudson NY 56:15
I think this is hilariously awful! He simply changed the name and location...he didn't even change the bib #!!!!Lame

Follow me at http://www.justinjharris.wordpress.com

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [knewbike] [ In reply to ]

That was my first thought. I mean if you are going to cheat, wouldn't you at least research some swim times and realize that very few, if any, age groupers break 50 minutes in an IM swim let alone break 40 minutes? How stupid is this guy? There is also a timing mat sitting right there to make sure you do a second lap. I mean, was this guy really planning to go back home and tell his swimming buddies he just broke the swim course record at IMLP as he rips off a set of 100s on a blistering 2:00 pace in the pool?

This guy is in his 50s and doing IM so he probably has a respectable career and is grown man. Makes you wonder what else this guy tries to get away with.

OK, would be good to know the actual story. We heard he was arguing with an official that he was a great swimmer and did two laps. Considering that he started after the pros, I believe his time would have actually been faster than Andy Potts. That is somewhat telling.

The third guy is French and not from Quebec.Normally I wouldn't care about one of those garlic munching, snail suckers but I know Romain and he is a very proud little Frenchman and a great guy to boot.

===

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]

h2ofun wrote:
SO, unless the rule is no mat time, no finish time, period, the extra mats still may not do much.

That won't work on its own...I have a race result for a marathon where my 25km split does not register a time...trust me I was not cheating in my 4:28 marathon (well perhaps cheating death, but not the course). But a missed split time can help calculate average pace through sections of the course.

Still I agree...more mats are important and if someone's time is too good to believe and there are missed time mats then that can be further evidence of cheating. For example if a course has 6 mats (start-25mi-50mi-75mi-100mi-finish), and some racer misses mat 3 and also happens to ride a faster pace between mat 2-4 than he did from mat 1-2 or 4-6 then there is pretty good evidence that he cut the course.

If someone else has no split at mat 3 but his average pace mat1-2 and 4-6 is pretty much his average pace for the whole course then he likely didn't cut the course.

Dave

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [jutnut627] [ In reply to ]

WOW. One of the strangest things I have ever seen. In his mind he has probably crafted his "elite" triathlon persona. While terrible, I guess trying to short the course at IMLP beats coloring your hair red and........

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [Peanut] [ In reply to ]

Peanut wrote:
Here's where you have to get into the science of it. Are mats 100% accurate, all of the time, never missing a chip regardless of stride, number of athlete crossing, where the chip is located, under a wet sock, ground conditions under the mat, interference objects nearby? Can it be stated that, at a given mat on a particular day, that every other athlete who finished the race had mat time(s), except for one athlete in particular?

I don't know the accuracy of the mats under various conditions, but let's say it's 99%. Is a 1% error rate sufficient to disqualify someone, especially if their time for the run leg reasonable? We need to be careful not to be too reliant on technology. Look at the margins of error that we were talking about back on the subject of whether GPS is close enough to use for drafting.

Timers and RDs may not be able to say no split time, no finish, but it seems like a way to provide additional evidence if some other events suggest someone cut the course.

Can't they stick a camcorder on a tripod at each mat, and use that to review afterwards if someone who is DQ'ed claims that the mat missed their chip? Seems easy enough. The athlete can also submit a GPS track if they dispute the DQ. (To keep someone from using another athlete's GPS file, it would be easy enough to compare the known mat locations/times with the undisputed ones on the GPS file.)

jutnut627 wrote:

Did more research, he never registered for the race. And he actually fabricated the results to show the dnf

Here are the actual results:
http://resultsarchive.active.com/uploads/txt/95506.txt

Here is his blog post of the results:
http://heathartfordextendedareatriathletes.yuku.com/topic/2348#.UA6cwXZNFLs

Notice how this line has been replaced and that this gentleman is no where to be seen in his version of the results?
3 Matthew Degennaro 130 44 Hudson NY 56:15
I think this is hilariously awful! He simply changed the name and location...he didn't even change the bib #!!!!Lame

Wow, just wow!
That seems pretty definitive to me.
This guy is a piece of work.

Weirder and weirder! His advice to teammates doing IMLP last year:

• Swim: It’s going to be a long day & no IM has ever been won as a result of the swim. Swim within your ability & the rest will take care of itself. The swim in an IM is also a contact sport given there will be over 2,800 athletes swimming too. Accept that there will be contact prior to the start. Don’t take it personally. No one is trying to do it on purpose its just reality when you have all these bodies jocking for position in a small lake.
  • Bike. When you come out of the water there is going to be a lot of people & excitement. Hey you’re a rock star enjoy the moment & smile for the cameras. Stay in control & let the HR start to come down as you prepare to mount your bike. As you start the bike & start to climb out of LP people will be flying by you. Good, let them. You got your own race to race. If Jimmy wants to be the king of one of the hill climbs let him. If it feels like you are going backward. Great!!! Stay within your HR zone & don’t get catch up in someone else’s race. You will see them later.

• "Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek

Re: 38 Minute Swim Guy At IMLP [Bigringonly] [ In reply to ]

Bigringonly wrote:
    Did he have a chick with bloody knees running with him?

If those two could team up with the guy who used EPO to win his AG in the gran fondo NY (other thread), they would have one bitchin' relay team =).

Long Chile was a silly place.

Prev Next