Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

361 Degrees and Carbon Fiber Plates, what's the deal
Quote | Reply
So, I was watching a shoe review and saw that the Meraki 2 had a Carbon plate. Then I saw that the Spire 3 and the Chaser 2 had a Carbon Plate.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 361 Degrees and Carbon Fiber Plates, what's the deal [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta love a little buzz word bingo. Just trying to buy into the 4% hype, even though the magic in those shoes is the foam, not the carbon plate
Quote Reply
Re: 361 Degrees and Carbon Fiber Plates, what's the deal [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Gotta love a little buzz word bingo. Just trying to buy into the 4% hype, even though the magic in those shoes is the foam, not the carbon plate

Is it though? Pretty sure the springy feeling is from the plate.
Quote Reply
Re: 361 Degrees and Carbon Fiber Plates, what's the deal [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will cut mine open once they are done, but for now I too speculate it’s the foam.

The carbon plate won’t fatigue in the cycles it will see over a few hundred miles. The foam will compress.

My guess is the spring will be lost from the foam and the carbon plate will be just as rigid and responsive as the day they were pulled out of the box.

Why else would they have such a short life cycle?
Quote Reply
Re: 361 Degrees and Carbon Fiber Plates, what's the deal [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that the carbon plate is just a rocker to encourage you to run forward, its carbon to save weight. If I didn't know it was in there, I'd never guess my pair had one. Foam feels amazing though. Crazy fast shoe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its the foam
Quote Reply
Re: 361 Degrees and Carbon Fiber Plates, what's the deal [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The midfoot carbon plate is not new to 361 shoes. It's a small, thin plate that adds some structural rigidity to the midfoot. There's never been a claim that it aids in propulsion.

From the website, QU!K Spine:
Fabricated out of extremely strong yet lightweight carbon fiber. This plate acts as a stabilizing force during mid-stance as the foot prepares itself for propulsion. The shaft also acts to maintain the integrity of the midsole to delay breakdown.

Carbon has been used in footwear for years, decades. It's evolution over the last 12-16 months has been extraordinary but the concept of utilizing carbon is not new.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Last edited by: ShawnF: Apr 18, 19 8:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

Is it though? Pretty sure the springy feeling is from the plate.

The springy feeling is likely coming from the QU!K Foam midsole. The carbon plate is not full length and its primary function is to add some stability to the midfoot.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: 361 Degrees and Carbon Fiber Plates, what's the deal [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. Good info guys. I love the shoes just tried them out for the hell of it since I needed new racing shoes and they’re awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW everyone is working on a carbon plate.

Even more FWIW there are runners in contract negotiations with companies other than Nike who are asking to be allowed to race in the Vaporfly as well as athletes asking their current sponsor if they can race in the vaporfly.

Even even more FWIW, ShawnF I'm still loving my Sensations 3s!

ETA: It wouldn't surprise me if you see some 1 off shoes from a few companies that look suspiciously like Vaporflys

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 18, 19 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: 361 Degrees and Carbon Fiber Plates, what's the deal [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the explanation!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 361 Degrees and Carbon Fiber Plates, what's the deal [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:

I take it you run pegasus turbo then? Or even the reebok ones?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ShawnF wrote:
The midfoot carbon plate is not new to 361 shoes. It's a small, thin plate that adds some structural rigidity to the midfoot. There's never been a claim that it aids in propulsion.

From the website, QU!K Spine:
Fabricated out of extremely strong yet lightweight carbon fiber. This plate acts as a stabilizing force during mid-stance as the foot prepares itself for propulsion. The shaft also acts to maintain the integrity of the midsole to delay breakdown.

Carbon has been used in footwear for years, decades. It's evolution over the last 12-16 months has been extraordinary but the concept of utilizing carbon is not new.

Zoot used a carbon plate in the midfoot and that was 10 years ago.
Quote Reply