Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
35 yr Old Olympian racing age group
Quote | Reply
2012 US Olympian and 2016 Olympian representing Puerto Rico Manny Huerta raced AG in Florida last week...

I have NO problem with it at all. I think it is pretty cool actually.
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was he first AG overall?
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
Was he first AG overall?

6th AG'er and got beat by a pro female.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
2012 US Olympian and 2016 Olympian representing Puerto Rico Manny Huerta raced AG in Florida last week...

I have NO problem with it at all. I think it is pretty cool actually.

He raced Texas 70.3 as well. Only 3rd place in his AG there.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretty sure he has a Kona spot for 2019 too

"If you want to experience all of the successes and pleasure in life, you have to be willing to accept all the pain and failure that comes with it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was an American Olympian, so being fair thats like being an AG in Europe
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

OOHHHH Snap!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has no business racing in the age group race.

The age group race if for middle aged white dudes who spend more time on slacktwitch trying to find ways to get faster, than actually training to get faster.

A guy who happened to be pretty good a while ago, who does these races for fun and enjoyment and probably trains 5/8ths of f'all has no place in the age group race.
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Schnellinger wrote:
Was he first AG overall?

6th AG'er and got beat by a pro female.

Yup, sounds like Manny.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

Ha. Though that was more true in 2012 than today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

Have you told Gwen that.
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
He has no business racing in the age group race.

The age group race if for middle aged white dudes who spend more time on slacktwitch trying to find ways to get faster, than actually training to get faster.

A guy who happened to be pretty good a while ago, who does these races for fun and enjoyment and probably trains 5/8ths of f'all has no place in the age group race.

He has a place, but not sure why he would want it. I would think if I had been in the Olympics I would rather get the respect of still racing with the pro/elites (even if I got handily beaten) than get laughed at by most people at as a sandbagger. Whatever "legitimate" AGer he knocked off the podium wasn't the top of the real heap anyway. You can either get indignant about it or just laugh at them, I say laugh.
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondered if this would make it here. Met him briefly on the podium, seems like a pretty good dude. Glad he's racing the AG ranks, I've got no problem with it - he's 35-39, just like the rest of us in the AG. We're all welcome to train a little harder to knock him off, it's not his problem.
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol pretty sure he would have to win his age group to get a pro license. Who is laughing at him seems more support on here with you being the exception. Good on him.
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's great, in how many sports do you get to step up to the line against an Olympian (past or present)?
Here in Whanganui/Manawatu NZ Shane Reed often turns up to local events and it's awesome, my only gripe is that we are only a week apart in age, so I don't have a window to try and burgle a win.
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Lol pretty sure he would have to win his age group to get a pro license. Who is laughing at him seems more support on here with you being the exception. Good on him.

That wouldn't have even done it as the race wasn't a big enough race to be a qualifier. Texas 70.3 would have done it though if finished top 3 overall.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here. Dude wants to race, let him race-- he's not out to make money at it, and doesn't train like he used to. What other option except not racing is there? Good for him.

However what I DO have a issue with is racing the likes of last year's M50-54 AG Du World champion who was a former pro cyclist and in 2002 was popped for EPO, and raced AG in Fynn. Luckily, he didn't race in Pontevedra a few weeks ago, so it was a non-issue. Same goes for racing ex-pros like JaJa, Vino & others who were doped. That, I have a problem with. Because they clearly have an unfair advantage by nature of their behavior at some point in the past, which aids them to this day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy is in my AG and being from GA, I'll probably be competing against him in races around the southeast. I'm towards the pointy end, but odds are this is someone who will knock me off the podium or in an IM take a slot in front of me.

Competition is king. If I ever finish in front of him I can say I beat someone who was in the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by 70Trigirl [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: 70Trigirl: May 16, 19 6:10
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
….. Met him briefly on the podium, seems like a pretty good dude....

Well done....that's a fantastic backdoor brag!

To the OP, is there a statute of limitations on former pros racing as AG? Kenny Glah (35 year+ Kona qualifier) is in my age group and has beat me more than a few times. I had dreams of qualifying for Kona in St. Croix but he smashed it and won the age group.

@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atkid wrote:
pvolb wrote:

Glad someone caught and appreciated that - I laughed at myself prior to hitting post.
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atkid wrote:
pvolb wrote:

To the OP, is there a statute of limitations on former pros racing as AG? Kenny Glah (35 year+ Kona qualifier) is in my age group and has beat me more than a few times. I had dreams of qualifying for Kona in St. Croix but he smashed it and won the age group.

@Kid

Yeah the downside is getting to Kona. I've come close but not quite there yet. But keep trying!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: 35 yr Old Olympian racing age group [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ashley Tappin. I don’t know what this has to do with this thread but it is a cool story!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Ashley Tappin. I don’t know what this has to do with this thread but it is a cool story!

I thought it was about having Olympians show up in the age group categories. Sorry, didn't mean to butt in.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

And I can't quite delete my comment. Sorry, I thought it was relevant. Still love the idea of Olympians showing up and racing with us

Quote Reply

Prev Next