Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

3:1 rule and Ironman 70.3 WCs
Quote | Reply
Hello slow twitchers!

I'm looking at picking up the Profile Design ProSvet while it's on sale on the PD website, and noticed that it mentions the bar does not comply with the 3:1 UCI rule. As far as I can tell, it looks like that rule was dropped around 2018 and so I would guess no longer applies to Ironman competitions. From searching the forums, I see spirited discussion about the application of UCI rules and how at least in the past they seemed to vary between local competitions and others such as AG WCs.

Specifically, I was hoping to get your interpretations whether this bar (or others not meeting the 3:1 rule) would be allowed for the 70.3 WCs in St George next year - I'd hate to get there and have it be an issue!

If you happen to have suggestions on other base bars I'm really open to hearing those as well! Am looking for something with integrated cable routing and with a slight upturn at the nose/end (not completely flat) for control and climbing.

Travis
Quote Reply
Re: 3:1 rule and Ironman 70.3 WCs [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UCI rules do not apply and more or less never have to Ironman races.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UCI rules have not applied to non-drafting triathlon, ever, as far as I know. UCI rules does apply to draft-legal triathlon because you're in a peloton.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disregard what I said, I got this and another post crossed.
Last edited by: jaretj: Nov 29, 20 16:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a problem. Lots of non-UCI bikes are raced at 70.3 WC and Kona. Examples would be Ventums (the Kona bike sponsor), Shiv Tri/Disc, Cervelo Px, etc., etc.

Ryf won the 70.3 WC Nice last year on a non-UCI Felt. (tube profiles are waaaaaay beyond 3:1).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It begs the question: which 3:1 UCI compliant TT bike is best for LC triathlon?

It's germane to me because I'm thinking of ditching my current tri bike in favor of a UCI legal bike which is legal in TT's. Seems to me TT's will be more prevalent in teh coming year(s) but I may want to race LC triathlon when it's back.
Quote Reply
Re: 3:1 rule and Ironman 70.3 WCs [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:

It's germane to me because I'm thinking of ditching my current tri bike in favor of a UCI legal bike which is legal in TT's. Seems to me TT's will be more prevalent in teh coming year(s) but I may want to race LC triathlon when it's back.
Canyon Speedmax is a good option (but not the new Speedmax disc since that one isn't UCI legal).
Quote Reply
Re: 3:1 rule and Ironman 70.3 WCs [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:

Same situation as me.

If you plan to go disc, probably the cervelo P5 disc with the aero bottle converted to flat kit, hydration behind the seat and a bit of room in the bento. This is based on it being the most aero out there based on the little aero data we get.

I am also looking at the Argon 118 tri+ but I suspect the P5 is a bit faster (but not much)

But it's like comparing a to b, b to c, c to d and then using that to compare a to d.
Quote Reply