Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

3:11 Marathon on 15 mi/wk
Quote | Reply
OK, so now that I have your attention.

A few years ago I ran a sub-20 5k on 15 miles/week running. Per Daniels that's a VDOT of 50 which translates to a marathon of 3:11. Somehow I doubt anyone is going to run a marathon at a 3:11 pace on 15 mi/wk training, so what gives?

If the VDOT is the rate at which oxygen is processed, is this saying that somehow anaerobic energy (I'm not going to be pedantic about terminology) played a relatively large role in that sub-20 run?

Or could I really have run that 3:11 (from an energy standpoint, not from a mechanical or mental breakdown standpoint).

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Re: 3:11 Marathon on 15 mi/wk [SignalStrength] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Extremely unlikely.

Those predictor tables makes their calcultions on the assumption that you are doing the requisite training. They are an indicator of potential, not of what is likely to happen if you lace em up and run a marathon the next day.

The marathin is a strength event, the 5K is a speed event. You go anaerobic in the first mile of a 5K, you shouldn't go anaerobic in a marathon until your sprint to the line.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It goes into explaining in the book that the VDOT is what you have the potential for IF you trained for a marathon with a 50 VDOT, I believe he even says in the same paragraph that if your VDOT is based on a 5k, you would not be able to run a marathon at the same VDOT with 5k training.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 3:11 Marathon on 15 mi/wk [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very Plausible in my mind. This last summer I broke 20min. in a 5k twice on only 9-12mi week running. Ten years ago I went 3:16 in a marathon on 30 mi/ week training for two months leading up to the race. I am not a gifted runner. And in that marathon I was looking more to have a fun time than a fast time. (i.e walking at parts, stopping to dance and talk with people.) Someone with talent could well do a 3:11 on 15 miles per week, though their legs would be trashed for a month.

One caveat, I had a huge base season of 70mpw prior to my marathon. I think any individual who could do this (3:11) would need to have a running background.
Quote Reply
Re: 3:11 Marathon on 15 mi/wk [Colossal Quads] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It goes into explaining in the book that the VDOT is what you have the potential for IF you trained for a marathon with a 50 VDOT, I believe he even says in the same paragraph that if your VDOT is based on a 5k, you would not be able to run a marathon at the same VDOT with 5k training.
This was exactly my point.

If I would have trained for the marathon and ran a 3:11 my guess is that I'd then be significantly faster than the 20 min 5K.

Just trying to figure out what's up with those tables. Maybe they're accurate if you're running 80+ mi/wk, or maybe I'm just unwilling to suffer enough on longer runs.

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For marathon runners the tables work better in reverse. If you have run a 3:11 marathon you should be able to run a sub 20 5K. Not so good the other way because of that little training thing.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been a while but I did two marathons (Toronto & Ottawa) in 3:07 or so with 15 miles +/- per week.

One longish run, one interval session & one tempo.

To be fair, I was commuting to work by bike three time a week.

I have no idea what VDOT or who Daniels is LOL

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply