Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon?
Quote | Reply
In April Ironman announced a new plan to rotate the NA championships through three sites with those sites hosting a 70.3 in the alternating years. St George was announced as the first location. The local news here in the inland northwest is reporting that Coeur d Alene might become the second of the three cities on the rotation.

I think a rotating schedule would be beneficial for a lot of sites. Participants might be more enthusiastic to sign up since they only get once chance every three years and volunteer/community fatigue might not be as problematic since you only host/put together to do the full 18 hour event every three years. And the half's on the other years may see a boost as people could use it as 'course-recon' or test race the year before.

If this goes through and CDA joins the rotation, then who ends up as the third? Boulder? Whistler? They both fit the same bill as St G and CDA. Have 70.3's and look like they may no longer host full ironman events anymore. Somewhere not in the west/mountain west?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this proves to be true then I am 1/2 way to a correct prediction I made in this thread

I didn't realize whistler IM was on the last legs, but I think there were rumblings they would go back to penticton? Could be mistaken, thought I read it here somewhere. I still say Boulder would be the 3rd of the rotating series.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Whistler part is kind of speculation based on chatter on here and the effect the return of The full Pendicton may have in it. I don’t think there is any conformation about it not having a full anymore

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had our 70.3 race here in Coeur d'Alene yesterday. It was a beautiful day with some of the best weather I can remember. Water was 67*, which is warm for these parts in June. Air temps in the 70s-low 80s with tolerable light winds on the bike and run.

This morning's paper reported that negotiations to bring the 140.6 back to Cd'A on a rotating basis are continuing. Everyone is pretty tight-lipped about the possibility...but it seems like we could be close to striking a deal. They are shooting for 2021 for the first race, then every three years, with 70.3 races in-between.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its going to be CDA and Whistler. 3 legitimate bike courses, all communities that had good relationships with Ironman but didn't seem to like the yearly commitment and places people would like to go to on vacation. If this is the case, I will be very excited as all three would be perfect for me, but I also understand why people back East might grumble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't the eastern 2/3rds of the continent get a little love?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

Nah. You guys have USAT Nats in Ohio. Close enough.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to see them roll it through ALL the NA 70.3s. Share the love.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess would be St. George, Boulder and Chattanooga. Boulder is the
triathlon Mecca of North America. It’s centrally located. Chattanooga really gets behind Ironman and it would give an eastern presence.

I think Whistler hasn’t really supported IM because some of the surrounding areas with wealthy residents disliked traffic impacts. Couer D’Alene is a good choice but kind of isolated relative to populated areas of the country. St.
George is somewhat close to Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Phoenix.

gary p wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga already hosts an IRONMAN (and a 70.3) and has five years on the new contract to continue doing so.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. Doh!

endurathonrd wrote:
Chattanooga already hosts an IRONMAN (and a 70.3) and has five years on the new contract to continue doing so.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Couer D’Alene is a good choice but kind of isolated relative to populated areas of the country. St.
George is somewhat close to Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Phoenix.
Cd'A is within a 5-6 hour drive from Seattle, 6 hours from Portland, 8 from Vancouver BC, 7 from Calgary, 10 from Salt Lake and Edmonton. Draws athletes from all of those areas and it is not exactly in the middle of nowhere. Good air service into Spokane (30 miles away) as well.
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Jul 1, 19 18:04
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
I believe that Coeur d'Alene's 70.3 contract ends with the 2020 race; if that's so they are in position to ink something new with the rotating scenario.

Here is a good article from today's Coeur d'Alene Press about the push for a 140.6 to return:

https://www.cdapress.com/...r_ironman_enthusiasm
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Jul 1, 19 18:02
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HaydenHunter wrote:

Cd'A is within a 5-6 hour drive from Seattle, 6 hours from Portland, 8 from Vancouver BC, 7 from Calgary, 10 from Salt Lake and Edmonton.

So what you're basically saying is, it's in the middle of nowhere?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jul 1, 19 21:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
HaydenHunter wrote:

Cd'A is within a 5-6 hour drive from Seattle, 6 hours from Portland, 8 from Vancouver BC, 7 from Calgary, 10 from Salt Lake and Edmonton.

It all depends on your perspective. If you live in the Northwest or even the Western US a drive of 5-6-7-8 hours is a walk in the park. Even 10 hours is one day's drive behind the wheel and worth a primo destination. I've lived back east, where a two hour drive is a big deal, so I understand if that is "middle of nowhere" to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
HaydenHunter wrote:

That was good for a laugh. But I did IMCDA in 2010 flying to Spokane from Tampa. It was an easy travel day.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has CdA been confirmed as the 2nd site? Any rumors about the 3rd?
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [npoland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although it has not been 100% confirmed, CDA as the 2nd site is all but a done deal. The frontrunner for the 3rd site seems to be the Seattle area with a new 70.3 proposed for 2020. That would give them 2 years of 70.3 before a full 140.6 in 2022.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Although it has not been 100% confirmed, CDA as the 2nd site is all but a done deal. The frontrunner for the 3rd site seems to be the Seattle area with a new 70.3 proposed for 2020. That would give them 2 years of 70.3 before a full 140.6 in 2022.
Coeur d'Alene newspaper says an agreement has been made. 70.3 in 2020, 140.6 in 2021 and then on a schedule of the full IM every three years with halfs on the off years.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure about its suitability for a full IM, but I loved the Lake Stevens 70.3.

E

japarker24 wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:

I guess it's safe to say that the same people who didn't look at historical weather data for Tulsa (May is tornado time) also skipped over the fact that Seattle is one of the wettest areas in the U.S. Perhaps IM is banking on being able to cancel/adjust the course at various venues? "Become an Ironman at the new Seattle 0.6. A beautiful course where you walk through the market shoulder to shoulder with your closest friends. Once through the market athletes will make their way up a grueling hill to the finish line at the historic, original Starbucks."
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [mjbruiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjbruiser wrote:
Once through the market athletes will make their way up a grueling hill to the finish line at the historic, original Starbucks."

Only in America ::)

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
mjbruiser wrote:
Once through the market athletes will make their way up a grueling hill to the finish line at the historic, original Starbucks."

Only in America ::)

Altered courses or Starbucks?
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [mjbruiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would something related to Starbucks ibe marketed as historical.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seattle one of the wettest cities in America??
Have you been to Seattle? Tulsa, Woodlands, Louisville, all get more rain than Seattle. And from July to September it rains 2-3 times most years. And the most rain in a day on record is 1.7 inches. Houston gets that in an hour during major storm.
Now I am not sure where they would put a race, plenty of lakes obviously, but I am not sure of too many places you could put a 2,500 person transition + parking and then have a good bike course after. But I am sure they can figure it out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next