Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2nd in Kona & Lionel cans his coach?
Quote | Reply
So after a runner-up spot in Kona looks like Lionel canned his coach. I noticed today that he is no longer listed as being coached by David - http://www.tilburydavis.com/athletes/.

I've been a Lionel supporter until this point, but now I can't help but feel like the famedom is getting to his head. In the post Kona interviews the guy doesn't thank his sponsors or even acknowledge his fiance's support. In fact, he was avoiding his fiance after he crossed the finishing line at Kona! Not that I can blame him for that one, but this isn't typical form for Lionel and certainly not the Lionel ST fell in love with. Has the post-Kona stardom completely gone to his head?

Anyway, Lionel is teed up for IMAZ, so let's see how he goes without a coach. My guess is he falters. Thoughts?
Last edited by: davews09: Nov 3, 17 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd in Kona & Lionel cans his coach? [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious, but how do you know that he fired his coach and now has no coach?

Coaching relationships can end/change for many reasons. One reason could be that a coach has imparted all the wisdom they can with an athlete and it's time for someone else to take a turn. I don't care how good of a coach someone is, there is always a limit to how much they can help an athlete.

Quote | Reply
I agree, when I left my coach it wasn't because I didn't like him or disagreed with him. It was just time to move on and work another way.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd in Kona & Lionel cans his coach? [geodee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly why the title is a question. But based on Lines actions post-Kona, my guess is he's the one that his the eject button.

Can't imagine he has another coach (at least yet), because I haven't seen any announcements and isn't that something you'd want to publicize as a coach?
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd in Kona & Lionel cans his coach? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, but the guy coached him to 2nd at Kona. Not exactly like it was an unfruitful relationship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a Lionel supporter until this point, but now I can't help but feel like the famedom is getting to his head.

Athletes don't race to come 2nd so maybe he thought he has reached his peak with his current situation and that to be able to win next time, he needs a fresh approach.

That really doesn't strike me as having someone let fame go to his head. A triathlete finishing 2nd in a triathlon isn't really that famous.

Quote Reply
Re: 2nd in Kona & Lionel cans his coach? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then explain him not plugging his sponsors and him ignoring his fiance. That's a 180 relative to the Lionel I used to know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's true... is it REALLY a surprise that Lionel would make a quick, emotional decision?

He had a very good year, lots of improvements in all 3... if he's not working with David it's surprising as i feel it would be a poor decision to leave his guidance... but it doesn't surprise me seeing LS history

davews09 wrote:
So after a runner-up spot in Kona looks like Lionel canned his coach. I noticed today that he is no longer listed as being coached by David - http://www.tilburydavis.com/athletes/.

I've been a Lionel supporter until this point, but now I can't help but feel like the famedom is getting to his head. In the post Kona interviews the guy doesn't thank his sponsors or even acknowledge his fiance's support. In fact, he was avoiding his fiance after he crossed the finishing line at Kona! Not that I can blame him for that one, but this isn't typical form for Lionel and certainly not the Lionel ST fell in love with. Has the post-Kona stardom completely gone to his head?

Anyway, Lionel is teed up for IMAZ, so let's see how he goes without a coach. My guess is he falters. Thoughts?

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Last edited by: Brandes: Nov 3, 17 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hasn't he been flying solo for a few years, choosing to work with some advisors, but not to work with a specific coach... I thought the aforementioned coach was one of said advisors, but was not "his coach". Could be wrong, but that's what I had gathered about his approach this season...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correction - David was one of his "consultants/advisors". Lionel always refused to call him his coach which I always found very odd.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Last edited by: flynnzu: Nov 3, 17 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd in Kona & Lionel cans his coach? [geodee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it hard to believe in this particular coach/athlete relationship, athlete can come to the conclusion that it’s “run it’s course”. That would make no sense but then again LS has always been very cryptic with talking about his “coach” training relationships.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd in Kona & Lionel cans his coach? [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would that be odd to not refer to someone as your coach if they aren't actually your coach?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd in Kona & Lionel cans his coach? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It all depends on how involved the coach / advisor / consultant actually was, doesn't it?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you watch the race? He left everything on the course! He was clearly in pain way back in mile 3 on the run. He was probably physically and emotionally drained. Forgot to hug his gf? So what. That probably wasn't the first thing on his mind. According to facebook, he is still engaged to her.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd in Kona & Lionel cans his coach? [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trolls gotta troll....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: 2nd in Kona & Lionel cans his coach? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this instance? You want to change what just helped create this year which was epic for him. So whether coach/advisor/consultant if it’s true that relationship has changed, I would just laugh. That would be my reaction.....laugh.

ETA: That is to say if what was earlier talked about on this thread, that somehow LS won’t learn anything else from current setup. I find that laughable to even be considered a reason why a coaching/consultant change can occur.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 3, 17 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That coach was on The Brick Sessions podcast very recently and said he doesn't coach Sanders. He acts as an advisor/mentor instead. A coach builds workout plans. This guy lets Sanders train how he wants, just answers questions Sanders asks as they come up. No big deal. I "coach" 2 people like that right now and it's way better for them than me building them training plans. They're at that stage where they won't do what I tell them anyway because they want to go more by feel and try different stuff to see what works. And when it does work, I'll tell them why it did. And when it doesn't work, I tell them why and what to try instead. But they won't learn unless they think they've invented it themselves. It's a bit of a mind trick that both sides are in on. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you aren't moving forward, you are going backward.

None of us know the dynamic of that relationship. Maybe Lionel had a great year in spite of his advisor, not because of it. Maybe he never actually followed any of the advice? Maybe it's a business thing? Personality conflict? Who knows.....

Clearly Lionel has made some good decisions this past year, so maybe his judgement is sound. maybe not.

ETA - Besides, the OP's entire premise is that LS isn't listed as being coached by DTD on DTD's website. That's some pretty shaky ground. Maybe the relationship is exactly the same as it has been all year.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 3, 17 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to many verified sources, Lionel dropped his coach after not receiving his Trucker Hat as the hat would have led him to victory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Then explain him not plugging his sponsors and him ignoring his fiance. That's a 180 relative to the Lionel I used to know.
You're assuming a lot here... about many things. Triathletes aren't good like Nascar drivers... honestly I've never seen a triathlete rattle off the sort of sponsor stuff like a driver would. You better read their kits and trucker hats. Who knows what was going on with him and his fiance. Maybe he was dealing with getting passed late in the race? Now I'm assuming, but I wouldn't assume the worst.

Changing coaches isn't a sign of a bad coach... I love my coach but I've been thinking about trying something new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, all you can do is laugh and shake your head in this situation. I remember his podcast with TRS after challenge championships where he was discussing Brownlee, avoiding 70.3 worlds and he seemed very angry/emotional... a guy like LS doesn't seem to be able to find a balance.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made an edit to clarify- if it’s an athlete thinking he’s learned all he can that others mentioned, that is complete BS, especially in this time frame.

Now it could be many things just don’t say it’s “run it’s course” time. That’s a slap in a coach’s face with this particular instance (1 yearish time frame of guidance).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i made another edit to clarify as well. The OP is making a LOT of assumptions....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The OP is smarter than most of you with regard to the dynamic mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd in Kona & Lionel cans his coach? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe, but some actual evidence or some reason to trust his judgement would be helpful. because based on what he wrote, I can't determine that anything in the relationship has actually changed.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next