Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 tubular questions
Quote | Reply
Is there any reason to deflate tubulars in the off-season? Also, does anyone have personal experience with TUFO's tubular tape?
Quote Reply
Re: 2 tubular questions [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, let me say there is substantial lore and mysticism surrounding tubular tires, all of it crap. Tubulars are brutishly simple technology, medieval in fact, and work very well and are easy to deal with. You don't have to inflate and deflate them on the hour, store them in a humidor (tubidor?), have ancient Italian men bless them or remain celebate (good, I can't even spell it) during the 48 hours some people claim it takes to mount them. Just glue them on and ride them. When they flat, tear them off, glue another on and ride it. Simple. Yup, I once heard a manufacturer (Vittoria)/ distributor tell me to keep the tires inflated to "set the cords" whatever that means. The tubulars I favor, TUFO and Continental, seem to hold air very well and I do keep them inflated, as I do with my clinchers. As for the tape, we have had it in our store as a sample but I have never used it or even sold it. The glue works fine and seems to be easier to deal with since I am used to it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tape can be lighter and more difficult to remove. I'd recommend it for more "extreme" conditions like track and 'cross. However, I've heard elite trackies complain that it adds a layer of "compression" or give that they don't like, they feel it robs some speed. But trackies can be a bit fickle. I'd agree glue is the best all around method for attaching tubular tires.

Tufo has no cavaet for keeping tires deflated when not in use. I understand the myth, but it just is not a concern.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly recommend the tape, especially for those who aren't particularly confident in there glueing abilities. ONe tip, after applying the tape to the rim, wet the cotton strip on the tire so that it will slide onto the taped rim much easier, the water will not effect the bond at all.

Also, make sure you are using the tape the right way (it has a different type of adhesive on each side), tufo made a bit of a booboo in there directions on some of the boxes that i've seen.

I also recommend carrying a strip incase you flat. The tape usually comes off with the tire, and it will allow you to be confident on the sspare, as the tape is full strength after a meters of riding.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 tubular questions [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, this is an old thread. How did this one resurface?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it came up in my search on tubular tire questions. this topic seems to be moving ahead of the 700c vs. 650c wheel debate.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply