Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 hold vs 3 hole cleat, do i need to replace all my pedals?
Quote | Reply
Ive been riding in the same shoes for about 6 years now. I got them when I got my first hybrid bike, then my road bike, and now I just used them for my first season on my tri bike.
here is the shoe. a basic mountain bike shoe.

I think I need a wider shoe, plus I think its just time to upgrade.

Since all three of my bikes have the same pedals, should I just look for another mountain bike shoe? Im looking for an all around shoe. I don't have the money to drop a few hundred on a few pairs of shoes, but I think I can go upto $300 on a single pair. Ive been looking at lake. Do I need to stay two hole or can I buy any shoe and just use one of these adapters?

any input would be appreciated.

not sure how to put the pitcures in the post. the first picture is my shoes i have now. second is the pedals, and the third is the adapter im talking about
Last edited by: jonp9576: Sep 28, 18 15:39
Quote Reply
Re: 2 hold vs 3 hole cleat, do i need to replace all my pedals? [jonp9576] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest that you buy some road pedals and road or tri shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 hold vs 3 hole cleat, do i need to replace all my pedals? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This.

Pedals are cheap enough that the cost for all the bikes would be minimal.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 2 hold vs 3 hole cleat, do i need to replace all my pedals? [jonp9576] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree with the others. If you aren’t doing flying mounts there’s no reason to buy tri shoes and it’s a hell of a lot easier to “run” through transition in mtb shoes. I would look at Bont and the New Giro VR 90 High Volume (HV) shoes. In the case of the Giros you can swap the laces for the elastic laces you’d typically use in your running shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 hold vs 3 hole cleat, do i need to replace all my pedals? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely won’t be doing flying mounts out of transition.
I was thinking the mountain bike shoe is much easier to get through transition that the big cleats I see on some of the shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the SPD pedal, mt bike shoe club. No troubles running in transitions (local races, sand, grass, dirt, gravel, course black top etc) and haven't crashed yet, doing mount/dismounts. I've got some decent shoes... but my favorite, and the ones I race with, are some cheapo closeout Shimano shoes, that are lightweight, and were designed/advertised for spin classes. I put speed laces on them, and can have them on/off in a couple seconds.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have SPD pedals on ALL of my bikes.

I can use any shoes on any bike at any time with zero issues.

Pearl Izumi makes an inexpensive 2-bolt Tri shoe, I think I got mine for like $75.

I had some old SIDI T2 shoes that were SPD compatible, but now they don’t make those anymore, and I’d need an adapter.
I have said adapter on my SIDI road shoes, but I rarely ever use those.

My go-to shoes for most riding - road training, gravel, mtb - are an old pair of SIDI 3 Velcro strap MTB shoes.

I’ve never spent more than $200 on bike shoes (or $100 on pedals), and it doesn’t seem to be slowing me down any.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 2 hold vs 3 hole cleat, do i need to replace all my pedals? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
This.

Pedals are cheap enough that the cost for all the bikes would be minimal.

I'd at least recommend buying road pedals and try shoes for the trip-bike. Depending on number of bikes and pedal chosen, the cost may not be minimal at all.
Quote Reply