Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - FOUND
Quote | Reply
Both bikes have been found. Huge thanks to the community of Monona, Monona PD, facebook and cycling communities, my friends and family members, and all those who shared, liked, and commented. Both bikes are home, damaged from crashes but found.
Last edited by: SiRcivic27: Jun 28, 19 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that - I had my try bike stolen from downtown Madison back in 2013 and I ended seeing it on a craigslist ad in Chicago. Hope you can get it returned. I'll keep my eyes out

Eric Engel | http://www.ironmandiary.com
15% off INFINIT Nutrition w/ code: EENGEL-INFINIT
15% off AltRed w/ code: EENGEL-ALTRED
20% off AMP Human http://amphumanperformanc.refr.cc/ericengel
AP Racing "The Crew" | INFINIT Nutrition | AltRed | AMP Human
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [erengel23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erengel23 wrote:
Sorry to hear that - I had my try bike stolen from downtown Madison back in 2013 and I ended seeing it on a craigslist ad in Chicago. Hope you can get it returned. I'll keep my eyes out

Thanks Eric.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the news.

You are in WI (home of Trek) and It looks like you are a pretty loyal customer. Certainly your dealer or Trek corporate can do something to help you make the start line.....

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That SUCKS. Will keep a lookout as I am out training. I bet they will appear on Craig’s List out of state. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
That SUCKS. Will keep a lookout as I am out training. I bet they will appear on Craig’s List out of state. Good luck

I agree, but nationwide craiglist searches are very easy... then comes the hard part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chicago would be my bet too, as there's a lot of Chicago based activity happening in Madison lately. I'll let my pals in the Chicago PD know....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks. Hoping for some goodness.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both bikes have been found only blocks from my house. Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SiRcivic27 wrote:

I am glad to hear this! Can you give us the story on how they were found or what happened there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SiRcivic27 wrote:

Whew! That is wonderful news...

Can you share the details of how they were found?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SiRcivic27 wrote:

Whoa, that's crazy. Congrats! Also... I hope "found" means recovered in good shape.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
SiRcivic27 wrote:

I am glad to hear this! Can you give us the story on how they were found or what happened there?

They were found within blocks of my house this am. Someone in the community spotted the person walking down the road with both bikes, recognized them from my social media post and called it in. Facebook crushed it! Before the police arrived the person dumped the bikes and ran but they know who he is and where he lives so felony grand theft charges are waiting for them.

They sadly are not in the condition they were take in, crazy what can happen to a bike in 36hrs when they are not cared for. My frame is likely toast as is the entire front end and rear der. My wifes handlebar and shifters are also busted. Clearly both bikes were crashed. I expected my Speed Concept would be crashed if recovered, it is not an easy bike to ride for people who don't ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SiRcivic27 wrote:

WOW! AMAZING!

Can you let us know how they were located?

Congrats on getting back your rides...must be a huge relief...now back to your regularly scheduled training!

ETA: Just saw your update. Glad you got them back, but really sorry to hear they're trashed.
Last edited by: Kickr: Jun 28, 19 7:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SiRcivic27 wrote:
TennesseeJed wrote:
SiRcivic27 wrote:

They were found within blocks of my house this am. Someone in the community spotted the person walking down the road with both bikes, recognized them from my social media post and called it in. Facebook crushed it! Before the police arrived the person dumped the bikes and ran but they know who he is and where he lives so felony grand theft charges are waiting for them.

They sadly are not in the condition they were take in, crazy what can happen to a bike in 36hrs when they are not cared for. My frame is likely toast as is the entire front end and rear der. My wifes handlebar and shifters are also busted. Clearly both bikes were crashed. I expected my Speed Concept would be crashed if recovered, it is not an easy bike to ride for people who don't ride.

I am local and have been seeing some of the FB chatter on this. I am sorry they are damaged. It is wild it was essentially a neighbor. I hope your homeowners insurance will help here.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Person was arrested today and charged with two felonies and is the lucky winner of a weekend get away to jail. We have a rider on our policy to cover the bikes because we knew they could be an easy target. Never thought we'd have to use it but at least the insurance company can chase the thief to get restitution. My front fork/headtube is busted from whatever crash took place. My wifes madone has damage to the head tube. My bike will be a write off I think, her bike will need a new frame and other parts as well. Back to scrambling to get a bike for my race in 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SiRcivic27 wrote:
Person was arrested today and charged with two felonies and is the lucky winner of a weekend get away to jail. We have a rider on our policy to cover the bikes because we knew they could be an easy target. Never thought we'd have to use it but at least the insurance company can chase the thief to get restitution. My front fork/headtube is busted from whatever crash took place. My wifes madone has damage to the head tube. My bike will be a write off I think, her bike will need a new frame and other parts as well. Back to scrambling to get a bike for my race in 2 weeks.

Hopefully you can get something to ride on for your next race

Out of curiosity, which insurance company did you use for the rider on the bikes? I've heard of additional policies for jewelry, but not bicycles. I'm moving to Madison in a few weeks, and knowing that one's own neighbors may be casing things certainly doesn't feel good.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an additional Rider for our bikes through Travelers. We also had similar coverage with a different carrier. It’s my experience that they will insure anything if you are willing to pay the premium.

Glad you found your bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
SiRcivic27 wrote:

Hopefully you can get something to ride on for your next race

Out of curiosity, which insurance company did you use for the rider on the bikes? I've heard of additional policies for jewelry, but not bicycles. I'm moving to Madison in a few weeks, and knowing that one's own neighbors may be casing things certainly doesn't feel good.

Erie Insurance. Hopefully they make this as painless as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're the first owner of the bikes your Trek dealer might give you a deal on a crash replacement. It can't hurt to check.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found - Excellent!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad that they were found. But sucks that they were found damaged... frankly, I’d press civil charges against the scumbag who stole them assuming that they have some assets.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crash replacements are up there with the scummiest of the sales techniques. Trek will do what like 20% off the msrp? The insurance will likely cover 60-70% of the replacement value.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Stolen Custom Trek Bikes - Madison, WI - Please keep an eye out [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, but they’ll still need to purchase the replacements with the check. Wouldn’t 20% off msrp be better than 100% msrp if the bikes aren’t on sale?

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply